lemon drop citrus

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Is the Lemon Drop citrus just a lemonquat or is a new hybrid? Does anyone know the cold hardiness of the either the lemonquat or lemon drop? I bought one today and it said that I could eat the whole thing without peeling it, so I did. The peel was very sweet and a 1/4 inch thick. Very similar to the Meiwa kumquat but they were much larger, almost raquetball sized. It was nice to bit into it like an apple.

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

jujubetexas, You bought a piece of fruit or a tree? It sounds interesting.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought the tree at lowes but it had lots of fruit on it. I planned on planting it in a similar location as my Meyer's lemon but wanted to check around.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Kumquats are pretty hardy in our area. Hopefully the lemonquat has inherited that hardiness. Meyer Lemons are iffy in our area, but will grow with protection and some cover below 32ºF especially the first two years. Temperatures in the low 20s will kill a meyer lemon tree.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

My meyers lemon has taken brief dips into the teens with absolutely no leaf loss. I have a digital thermometer and the tree is not very protected. I either have an exceptional plant, which is unlikely since they are all grafted, or I have been very very lucky. It has been in the ground for three years.

New Iberia, LA

Never heart of lemon drop. What color is the fruit?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It looks like a lemon except smaller and rounder. I ate another one yesterday that wasnt fully ripe and the skin was still very sweet and thick. I think this will be a very neat addition to my citrus. I have the Texas superstar miho and seto satsumas, meyers lemon, unknown orange, meiwa and nagami kumquat, calamondin and flying dragon. I would have to say that my calamondin is my favorite as it has never been without fruit year round. It dropped to 23 degrees and it still didnt lose all of it's fruit. During the summer, as soon as they ripen, new flowers are on the way within two weeks. The taste is super sour though. You would use it just like a lime. The peel is edible on that one too.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

My Meyer Lemon is planted on the south side of the pump house. I'm embarrassed to say what it looks like right now — completely bare — and our lowest temperature was only 25 for about 1/2 hour.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.