Introduction

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi all, I was just informed by my wife that this forum was available. I did not catch it when I first started using the site. I am 34 and have a bad back. I fell 10 foot and broke my back in 1994 I then went back to work 9 months later only to re-injured my back while lifting. I had to have back surgery in 95 and am now not aloud to lift more than 30 to 40 lbs and even that hurts so I usually don't lift much of anything. So what do you with lemons you make lemonade. I went back to school and became a computer programmer and am much better off because of it. So there is always a silver lining somewhere. I deal with pain most every day but as you all know you learn to live with what you are dealt in life. I love to garden in small chunks of time. An hour here or there Sometimes like this past Saturday I felt great I worked in the yard for 4 hours and loved it. I don't know if it was the new meds (vioxx) or if it was just a good day, maybe both. Please drop a line and let me know something about yourself. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Howard

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Howard,
I was hit by a bale falling from the top of the haymow to the floor when in my mid-twenties, took one load off, went back to work. Finally saw a doctor about it when I was 33 and he said I had the spine of a 60 year old, but there was nothing that could be done. So I went back to work. Farming has kept me moving until just last May when the rheumatoid arthritis that I was diagnosed with 5 years ago finally said STOP in a big way. Next year, I'll be 50 and I'm learning that I can do so much, and then I rest. I am still on my own two feet and able to do much of what I want, just s-l-o-w-l-y. There's alot to be said for taking one day at a time, and yes, you really do get used to a certain amount of pain - normal, "pain-free" for me is just 4 joints and my back hurting. LOL, if I ever come on a day when nothing hurts, I'll figure I've been dead for awhile!

Welcome to this forum and say hi to Kim,
Kathleen

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Howard Welcome. I have pain in bad knees which is affecting my ankle and ip also-too young to get medicare and no insurance. No injury though I can remember. But climbing up into an ambulance for almost fifteen years which put my heavy weight on my right knee helped my arthritis along. Take Aleve twice a day which helps some. Have to hire help to garden or limit myself to small amounts of time. But what a feeling of accomplishment when even one row is weeded or a few seeds in or some plants in. Grateful for every minute of life . Am almost 64y/o=live alone. So I have to be very careful about what I do and when. Happy gardening. Shirley

boonies, MT

Hey howard,,
I am new here,,but now I am always looking through the gardening for the physically challenged to find ways to help my husband continue to help with the vege garden he loves,,I also look for differnt ideas for getting his favorite sniff plants up where he can enjoy them,,he has nerve damage and side affects from it thatcan make working in the garden not only hard and painful for him but can strain his leg to the point he cannot walk on it ,,so I am here to look for ideas,,jwj

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hi there,
This is my first time on this site and I have just poted my first message and here in number two.
I cant help but be almost overwhelmed by the kindness and understanding of those on here.... i am sure you will find great support and friendship here as i hope i will......
Understanding and empathy is hard to find...... i wish you well and look forward to chatting to you again...

regards
Laura
Australia

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Howard. Both me and my husband are disabled. He has been disabled since he was 31 with a back injury. after 4 surgeries and steel rods from his ribs to his tailbone and from the vertebral colum to each side on the pelvic bone he is still in pain and unable to do much. He is 41 now, so young to be in thismess. I am 50 and disabled with diabetes, arthritis, asthma, IBS, hypertention and colitis. I love my yard and work in it as much as possible. I have buckets and chais everywhere so I can sit. Walking is extremely hard for me due to the nerve damage from the diabetes. Together we make it thru each day hand in hand and have for nearly 20 years. Being disabled is not fun but at the same time we have time together that most couples will never have and since we are best friends it works for us. Welcome to daves. You are going to meet alot of very special people here. I have been hooked on this site since day 1. This is the best place on the net.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

JCF - It sure is a blessing to be married to someone who can really understand your experience. Howie and I laugh together as well as cry together on the bad days. Fortunately, we laugh together a lot, and that can bring the bad days into perspective and bring us through them. :o)

Knoxville, TN

HHI IAM HERBLADY OR NANA ,I am a 50 UR OLD WITH A95 YR, OL BODY,,,,LOL i HAVE 10 SCREWS AN PLATE IN FOOT AN EVERYTHING
else on the way up Neck fused and wired at top,,,,,,,
lol then the ears are going to MANEARE'S AND GOING INTO
BRAIN WE HAVE OUR MINI STROKES ,,,,,,SO THAT'S ABOUT COVERS THE OL BODY ,,LOL A FUSE HERE AN A FUSE THERE A RUPURE HERE
AN ANARROWING THERE EVERYWHERE AMESS,MESS, LOL OOOOOOOOOO
WELL I DID ENJOY A FEW GOOD YEARS,SO MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT ME WHEN YOU TALK SO I CAN READ YOUR LIPS,,,,LOL U HEAR......
[[[[[[NANA]]]]]]
I AM OK,.................YOU OK,,,,,,,,,,,,,OK,,,,,,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.