Flowering in February

Sydney, Australia

Can't see that I have posted this so here it is.
Cheers
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Brian, I will google some of the suggestions and have a look for some to try next time I pass the bottle-o. Thanks for that (Feeln a bit dry in the mouth)
Steve, I guess I'm just not game to try anything new without a reccomendation, because some are soooo bad! (for my taste anyway) Maybe I should just systematically make my way through the different types! I've got a whole life to fill. Your Bilbergia pyramidalis is beautiful. They do very well here under deciduous trees, keeping their dark green foliage all summer, and then a bit of light to get them flowering in winter. Just gorgeous.
Leisa, I didn't know there was 10 colours in Epidendrums? Do you have a white? I was told there is one, but never seen it. I have the purple, orange, red, pale pink and cerise. My B. 'Hallelujah' flowered about a week ago, but it was extremely fast, and only lasted a day or two. Luckily I am more interested in the foliage, or I would have been really disappointed.
Chrissy, the cordies look great, and yes, I would love a couple of cuttings! The pic I posted of the cordies here, are on my cordie walk, so any new ones will be greatly appreciated, and have lots of new friends. I must start putting some little broms aside for swapping. I have been harvesting pups all season, but have a hard time parting with the little darlings! However, I do have some that like shade, and some for sun, so you tell me what you would like.
Orange Belamcanda

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Sydney, Australia

Well weed woman. Until a minute ago I did not know the name of this Brom.
A quick google and there it is! Thank you.
These live under your dreaded Camphor! Have heaps of them. They divide an conquer!
Please do try and enjoy something different in the wines. That's how I do it. At the moment I am trying a lovely blend of Semillon, Reisling, Chardonay Only because I don't remember trying it before, Very nice.
Cheers
Steve

Brisbane, Australia

Evening all,
I'd do anything to avoid paperwork ie my tax, so just a quick message...
Sue this is first time my 'Hallelujah' has flowered. I've got 3 generations of plant, but never had a flower before (on the 2nd gen plant). I'll take pics each day, in case it doesn't last long! Thanks for the heads up!
I don't have a white crucifix, but I have seen one at a show at Mt Cootha in Bris. It was a very spindly plant & flower. I've got a pale yellow one that's very long legged and only flowers in an average sort of way (see pic). The common orange & purple are better flowerers. A bright yellow one is probably my best.
Gotta go do the boring stuff!
Leisa.

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Christchurch, New Zealand

ok can we spell palpable disappointment?
I saw one of my noid trees was going to flower...
how exciting!
Then I noticed that it is flowering...
tiny insignificant little blossoms.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

this is the tree as seen from the lawn...
all the foliage is on the other side or quite high up.
I was barely aware of this tree having foliage until my neighbour removed a huge evergreen shrub from the corner behind it.
My garden has totally changed in character as it gets morning sun & so much more light & air.
There is a rhodie in that spot now & eventually it will have the same effect of blocking the light but I won't mind as I love rhodies & can just plant to suit when it happens.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
se qld, Australia

Your noid looks like a peppercorn tree, Dalfyre.

Grevillea Bronwenae:

Thumbnail by gardengal
Barmera, Australia

Dalfyre
If that is "The Peppercorn" Schinus molle it will have distinct aroma from the leaves. It might be too big and shady for that site. It can grow to 40ft high and close to the same across and provides very dense shade.
Brian

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
The Red Capped Gum (Eucalyptus erythrocorys) has started flowering here.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hey Steve, "At the moment I am trying a lovely blend of Semillon, Reisling, Chardonay Only because I don't remember trying it before, Very nice."
He, he, do you just empty the dregs into a glass? I spent about half an hour browsing the wines today. I didn't get much help from the staff, so walked out empty handed. i guess I could always buy a bottle of lemonade to mix it with if its not good?
Leisa, that orchid is still very pretty, even if it's a bit sparse as you say. I bought B. 'Hallelujah' in Spring, and it pupped before it flowered! It seems to have lost a bit of foliage colour, despite being in fairly high light, so I've put it in a brighter spot still.
Dalfyre, I love the peppercorn tree! I have one here and it has the most lacy dappled shade and a beautiful weeping habit. I've seen it grown on the road islands in penrith, by Panthers Leagues club, and they look beautiful. Very drought hardy, but they don't like being wet for too long (lost one in flood conditions)
Pam, your Grevillea is Bizarre! I thought it was a Kagaroo paw! I had to have a closer look!
Brian, that Eucalyptus looks gorgeous. I bought one in tubestock, but it didn't last the re-pot! I'd love to know what kind of gums/trees are on my property. I might see if I an get a good book!
No photos of flowers today.
Sue

teresa you will love the pretty pink berries when your peppercorn tree has finished flowering ...hopefully it will be a female tree if no berries perhaps not so good ...who has not climbed these trees while young ^_^ only thing is if you are planning to live there a few years it may eat your home as it grows as large and as spreading as a mature Jacaranda. I love them Kogarah Park was full of them and we loved climbing up them as little ones and it was cool up in the branches and under them too on a hot day
http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/newposts/360/topic360122.shtm
Funny how it smells sort of Australian when it isn't ...sort of adopted.

oh dear, I hope I don't have a peppercorn tree!
My suburban yard is way too small & it is right under the power lines for next door:(
That is why the evergreen bit the dust, men came & 'trimmed' any foliage getting too close...
basically they butchered all the trees by hacking away the side nearest the lines.
Some of my trees are looking peculiarly lop sided but at least not as bad as the ones along the verge.
Will wait & see if I get any of the berries, might have to add that tree to the removal list.
At least I can choose some more suitable natives if that is the case.
I don't know what they were thinking here, so many of my 'nice' trees are menaces.
A professional gardener friend commented that there were some I would regret having if I planned to stay here!

Brisbane, Australia

Just a quick one with another surprise from my garden this morning! I think this is Cattleya Bowringiana.
Night all.
Leisa.

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Barmera, Australia

Weed_Woman, Eucalypts by Stan Kelly is good consists of two books, I found them very useful. I've been out at a meeting where we tried some more small batch winemaking products. The Petit Manseng just seems to get better with time that is a white. Had some more Montipulciano very nice red that left the empty glass with a pink colour (Suppose my innards are the same) and a new one to me Sapiravi also red with great potential very peppery. Also 4 different clones of Shiraz. You ought to come over to a meeting Budgieman.
Brian

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks brian. We have a couple of local wineries around here, maybe I should make a trip out and get tehm to make something to my pallette! I shall look for that book too, and write it on my list, along with the wine names that are being bandied about!
Leisa, your orchid loks beautiful. I'm finding them to be as addictive as Bromeliads!
Dalfyre, are you planning on moving on from your current address? How about topping the Schinus? I crown lift mine so i can get under and around it with the mower, but i can't see why you couldn't take out the central leader and get it to reshoot lower?
Had a hot and humid day at work, then came home and chiled out a bit. One more day of gardening and then I'm off down to Sydney to visit a sick friend for the weekend.
No pics again today, as I just did not feel inspired. I think I've posted all my flowers at one time or another. I wouldn't want to bore anyone with repeated pics!
Sue

boo hoo ...repeated pics would be all that I can do at the moment darn it ...I feel like someone chopped my hands off! Do you mind if I describe what pictures I would have taken ...
My first fat bottomed desert rose has opened ... a deep rose red
Buds everywhere on my angels with Alphonse Mucha leading the charge with a huge umbrella of bloom at abot 7/8 ft high.
Elfin Pink is also off and running too ...sigh!
What really upsets me is that at least 6 of my new Stardancer cross seeds (brugmansias) have thrown their tiny green arches up, and they are off, there was some worries about the small size of the seeds but they were fresh and have taken off very quickly.
It appears that my mandevillia shoots (cuttings) have taken off ...wow that was a surprise but look what I found here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6101462
Very interesting.
My cordylines (cuttings) both mine and the treasures from Anne look great ...I was worried about rot but I think the washed river sand seems to do the trick *happy* ...Ann where are you? are you ok? I am waiting for you to tell me what you would like in exchange ... those floods look bad ...still more to come ???
Sue your garden looks great! ...a real show piece.
really lovely pictures everyone ...I am trying to organize another camera ... I dropped mine on tiles so it is dead I think.
sammut I found a packet of angel seeds I left out of your box accidently, I will post them off to you tomorrow if you still want them.They were supposed to be a surprise ...guess I blew that, I hope you had a good day.
I hope to get on here and there but I am going twixt doctors and trying to do some of the stuff normally has to do so it may be intermittent ...probably late at night *sigh.*
a big wave sorry about the pics ...:^((((

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Bummer Chrissy! I too, would be lost without my camera! Thanks for saying such nice things about my garden. I am desperate to be able to stay home all day and play in it! I guess I'll have to wait until I retire (thats quite a long time yet!)
You seem to get as excited about your Angel seeds as I with my Brom seeds. Some types have only grown to 3mm in 3 months! Its a very slow process, and is testing my patience. It is the only way to grow broms in bulk though, and in 4-5 years, I might have some at the size required to sell them on. All I have to do is keep them protected, watered, fed, and safe from mould/fungus and algae. No worries.
I just got a card in the mail to say 2 brom books I got off Ebay are at the P.O. So after I have cleaned my work gear and van, I will be racing off down the road to get them. Yay. Something to read while I am travelling. I feel like I have been waiting for ages!
Today I have a pic of Evolvus. It seems to look its best in the morning and by midday has closed up the flowers. I hedge it to keep it dense, but sometimes at the expense of the flowers. Its a good filler, and not to invasive here.
I'll be away till Sunday, so someone had better start a 'Flowering in March' thread for me to come back to.
Have a lovely weekend all.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Picking up a camera Sunday ...whew!
So many things happening in the garden at the moment! ...now Sue ... that is why I love Angel seeds ...big, quick, beautiful plants and the perfume *sigh* ...but I do get it ... re brom seeds ...Ann grows out coryline seeds, imagine waiting to see what those colours would be, and then there is (fat bottomed ...prickly ...skinny ...tall ...short ...stinky ...delicious!)
Oh the joys of growing any little seed!

western sydney nsw, Australia

Hi,
Sue have a great week end away.
Chrissy Oh dear Oh my I told my grand son he must have droped the seeds in to the lawn now I owe him big time he is not a clux he will not let me forget this.-- love some seeds When I droped my camera the clip shuting the little memory card place come loose a little sticky tap fixed it test there I was told thate often happens in a fall.Iam feeling bit brighter today awake in hr. patches its now time for a nape eyes are playing up can not whate the pic.it its pot luck.----------Sammut.

Thumbnail by sammut
Barmera, Australia

Been waiting for ages for this one to open but it seems that this might be as far as it opens. It wouldn't open at all in the pot so it is now out with all Its rellies in the ground.
Gymnocalycium mihanivichii one of the many forms

Thumbnail by Stake
Brisbane, Australia

Brian that's a fantastic plant!
Plants like that make me believe that nature has a sense of humour, either that or aliens live amongst us lol
Leisa.

melbourne, Australia

that is gorgeous stake. my mum has ones like that but i don't think they have flowered as yet. are there seeds when it flowers? or do they just grow little pups? shelly

Barmera, Australia

G'DAy Shellyto4kids, I haven't had seeds but there must of course be seeds sometime. They are usually fairly prolific with pups but again I haven't had any yet that were big enough to live on their own.
Brian

leisa my thoughts exactly ET phone home!
what a cute little alien.

Barmera, Australia

G'Day, It's funny but I never saw this plant as an alien until you people mentioned it and then I could see the "alien" appearance. I thought it's only the camera angle so I looked at another photo, taken from above, that I didn't post. It still has that appearance from above and I think the two bigger buds are his arms reaching up to be picked up andthe buds are eyes. So I suppose that plant will be ET for as long as I have it. Perhaps I should put him in the Tea Room so everyone can give him a cuddle.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
Merino, Australia

Do that Brian. He is a little cutie for an alien. I like the color too.
We could sit him on a table where he could be seen .
I haven't got much in the garden that has a flower but I do have a couple of pretty fuchsias that are hiding behind a fence out of the heat and wind. This is one of them. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
se qld, Australia

We've had a bit of unseasonally early rain this Summer, and the peltophorum pterocarpum is putting on a fantastic show. Last year it had finished flowering in only 7 to 10 days. It's still looking good after a month or so this time around,

The rainbow lorikeets love it for the nectar.

Thumbnail by gardengal
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Gardengal, wanted to let you know the pic of the Rainbow Lorikeet and the flowers of the tree?/bush? are beautiful. Lee

Brisbane, Australia

Hi All,
Brian, I hope you weren't offended by my comment, but yes the plants seemed to have arms and eyes in an ET kind of way.
I sometimes wonder what aliens would be like (if they exist), but there is such an array of variety in nature we need only look on our own planet to see amazing life. I love snorkelling & seeing the amazing life under the water makes me chuckle with joy while I'm snorkling. The best I've seen is an octopus not only changing colour, but texture from smooth to spikey to camoflage themself amongst the coral.
I think your plant was making me laugh with joy too! So thanks for sharing the pleasure! Please leave it in the tearoom for a day or two for all to admire from all angles!
Pam, it's always nice to have something to attract the birds. Do you also get pale headed rosella? We do but they are very private & hard to get pics of.

Just for record, here's my orchid out now.
Night all, Leisa.

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Barmera, Australia

LeisaD, I thought your comments were a compliment to the plant after ET was very highly regarded. That is a very nice orchid then aren't all orchids pretty?
Gardengal, I don't know that plant of your's, Peltophorum pterocarpum. Can you tell us a bit about it please.
Brian

Brisbane, Australia

Hi All, wow look at the time - I should be in bed!
I just had a dig through all my old plant tags I keep in an old choc tin in the laundry & finally found the name of Thai Beauty = Globba winitii (see http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week040.shtml). It grows to about 50cm, dies down here in Bris over the winter, but the flowers last quite a while.
The sad bit was all the other tags of things that have died - I even had a bat plants for a short while in 2001 - so sad!

Good night really this time!
Leisa

This message was edited Feb 28, 2009 1:11 AM

Thumbnail by LeisaD

Leisa did you take it inside over winter? ...most really tender tropicals probably need to go inside or at least under cover in the warmest winter spot you can find ...most will rot if it rains in the cold.
such a beautiful thing. A green canopy of leafy stuff overhead in a warm place acts as a glasshouse.What are your conditions?

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

This is erebus a canna which is often grown in shallow ponds etc but grows just as well I have found in the ground or in pots.This is it's first bloom for me.
Thanks also Mya,Chrissy & Jean for your kind words it is appreciated.

Thumbnail by brical1

This is Solanum Integrifolium aka Pumpkin on a stick.It is a type of eggplant although it can be eaten in stirfries it is said to be bitter tasting and therefore is not commonly used for that purpose.It is often grown for florists to be used in dried flower arrangements.The colours are really more intense than what my picture shows.I will let them dry on the plant and then bring indoors when the plant dies. The grasshoppers have had an absolute field day on the prickly foliage.It is a very interesting plant and is a fast grower.Will grow this again next season in the garden.

Thumbnail by brical1

My beautiful Thai princess canna...this one is growing in part shade

Thumbnail by brical1

And this one is in full sun.I have posted pics of it at the beginning of this thread...not the same bloom though.

Thumbnail by brical1
se qld, Australia

peltophorum pterocarpum is an Aussie native, sometimes erroneously referred to as Yellow Poinciana. .(A bit of Googling just informed me that it also occurs in areas of Asia.)

It's a legume that grows to around 10 to 15 metres. Apparently it's only suited to tropical and subtropical areas. After the flowers fall, it's covered in russet-coloured seedpods that persist for quite some time. It makes quite a nice feature or shade tree. The most frequent feeders visitors we've had to it during flowering are the rainbow lorikeets and little native bees.

We do have the pale headed Rosellas Leisa, and as you say they are quite shy. From time to time there is a pair who check out a tree hollow not far from our back patio, but there is obviously some reason they keep rejecting it, I'm guessing there is probably something already living in there - a possum, maybe?!

We have a pair of Tawny frogmouths that live here most of the time, too. They seem to disappear when there's rain about though. The neighbour spotted them the other night at dusk catching themselves a feed of microbats as they emerged from inside a tree at the front of their place.

Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
Chrissy, I initially kept the Thai Beauty under my patio for the first year or two maybe, but eventually put it out (still in the pot) in a protected spot under the palms. But as our water restrictions increased (& maybe with the colder weather), it died down. It's now in a protected spot under a biggish bamboo (still in the pot), so you're probably right: I should bring it in over the winter this year & see how it goes! I've had similiar reaction with a red stemmed ginger ie died down, but it's back again, but it's now in the ground in the same area, so I'll see it goes too. I think it's only flowered once. We had a really cold winter last too, so in hindsight I'm probabaly lucky either of them actually survived!
Judy your cannas are lovely - they are so tropical! I've not had much success with them (I'm also in Bris) - not enough water in the past few years, but with the returned rains & I now have tanks, they might worth another try.
When I was in Laos last year, I saw a plant growing on a bank of the Mekong & took a pic, as it was so strange looking. But it looks like a small "Pumpkin on a Stick". Can't be much fun to handle. I'd be interested how the drying goes. In Asia, they eat quiet a few bitter foods that we wouldn't consider, eg bitter melon, so yes probably in a stir fry or curry.
Leisa..

Thumbnail by LeisaD

I promised myself I would stay off the computer a few days & clan up the house a bit...
I am hopelessly addicted to DG though!
A friend wants to do a water colour form one of my flower photos & has asked what it is called...
I have no idea so hopefully someone can id this for me

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/dalfyre/?action=view¤t=oct08153.jpg

thanks - Teresa

leisa that's one scary looking veg ...lol
teresa that is a pretty pink trupet ...looks very familiar but I can't think of a name ...too tired tonight.
See everyone tomorrow ...meanwhile just because ^_^
http://mgonline.com/mussaenda.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.