Flowering in February

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

My Thai princess.
Sue you hibiscus is called 'swan Lake' I have it too...it is really nice when it gets up a bit and is covered in flowers.It's one they use as a rootstock.

Thumbnail by brical1

Tantra

Thumbnail by brical1

Thunbergia grandiflora...

Thumbnail by brical1

Still blooming

Thumbnail by brical1

Bougie has been non stop flowering for months.

Thumbnail by brical1

'Nother Frangi

Thumbnail by brical1

Not flowers,but I like the colour constrast.

Thumbnail by brical1

Frangi again

Thumbnail by brical1

always in flower

Thumbnail by brical1

Baby white thunbergia alata

Thumbnail by brical1
Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

hi judy

love your frangis....here's my seedling frangi that I got from a seller on ebay.... a deep yellow and I think it may be a deep yellow...we have had so much rain and still raining, no sun ,that my very deep pink frangi is a pale pink now .

Thumbnail by MyaC

Here is my good old white a bit battered from blowtorch winds but finally here ...not even a bud on the coloured ones

Thumbnail by
Barmera, Australia

G'Day, Not too many flowers around with the heat but this is a grafted red Gymnocalycium mihanavichii which is flowering for the first time for me.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
Sydney, Australia

Stake,
That looks like mine!
Cheers
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman
Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Budgieman yours has more buds than mine.
Nice plant aren't they?
Brian

This message was edited Feb 1, 2009 6:07 AM

Nice cacti& pretty flower .What is the expected life for a grafted cacti like that?

Christchurch, New Zealand

Brical - I love the contrasting foliage!
What are the plants?
I am always on the look out for ideas on how to add interest when the flowers are not doing their thing.

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Brical1. I don't know the life span of grafted cacti but because these coloured ones are grafted because they have no chlorophyll and depend on the green rootstock to do that work for them. The life span would (I imagine) depend on the amount of green rootstock in relation to the amount of coloured plant it was feeding. I have read where it said that after a period of time the plant might have to be regrafted to supply more & new rootstock. I'll post a request for info on the C&S forum.
Regards Brian

Excuse my ignorance but how does one get a red one to graft onto a green rootstock ...where does the red grow and how?

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Chrissy100. I think the first red Gymnocalycium mihannavichii was a pup(offshoot) mutation which occurred in Japan and as long as that pup remained attached to the parent it would survive OK. Remember that this particular cacti has a reddish tinge naturally and I will attache a photo of an own rooted plant that I have.
The colour abberations are highly sort after and by grafting onto a vigorous stock the growth is stimulated and more offspring produced and with the load taken off the mother plant it is free to produce more pups, some of which might be red variations.
I don't know if this next is practised but it is possible. Using micrografting techniques seeds could be germinated and any colour variants grafted to a rootstock while the seedling is still living off the seed reserves.
I thought it rather odd but there is a green colour variant of this plant and apparently the green is not chlorophyll so this plant has to be grafted and I posted a photo of it in flower a couple of weeks ago.
Hope this explains the hows & whys for you.
Regards Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
Barmera, Australia

This is the grafted green G. mihannavichii, note the green pups around the edges of the parent plant.
Regards Brian

Thumbnail by Stake

Ok thanks brian ...sort of a cactus version of an albino in a plant I guess ...well in my head anyway. Very interesting. ^_^
chrissy

dalfyre,The plants you were asking about are -variegated alstroemeria & black pearl ornamental chilli, If you have small children or really anyone for that matter- be aware that the sap from the fruit or the plant itself burns so don't touch your eyes or mouth after handling...water does not help to ease the burning either!Having said that ,some are more sensitive than others! Place them in a position where people can admire without touching

thanks Brical, I thought that might be the variegated alstromeria, I think you posted a pic of it some time back?
I have it on my wish list...
I did some plant shopping yesterday, no bargain bin stuff to tempt me so I splashed out on full price items.
At $21.00 for 3 shrubs I think I was still getting them cheap!
One Coleonema 'Sunset Gold', Hebe 'Emerald Green' & Coprosma 'Pride'.
I added an electric blue penstemon to my basket - that makes 3 penstemons now & I am eying one in the garden at work wondering if I can get a cutting.
Fair swap as I have gifted them quite a few plants over the last few years.
I noticed a variegated agapanthus & was sorely tempted.
I may have to go back for it as it was the only one & hate to see it looking sad & lonely.
I have the notion that while I am on holiday I will add to the back garden so my 3 shrubs were bought with that in mind.
In order to plant the penstemon I decided to shift my nemesia...
to allow room for them I dug over a strip of raised garden in front of the house, moved the roses & much as I loathe wasting viable plants I binned a heap of Narcissus bulbs.
They were over crowding that garden & not really that great even in a massed display so out they went.
It is cool & wet today so that will help the transplanted ones recover.
I dug up & replanted a prostrate rosemary that is ear marked for my Mum's garden.
Once she takes the plants I am growing on for her I will have more room...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

freshly 'renovated' front garden

Thumbnail by dalfyre

oh did I mention I love roses...
they are showing their appreciation for dead heading & feeding along with a good soaking of water every week.
this also shows the nemesia before I shifted them...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

last one - my succulent is still flowering, I am really pleased with how well it is lasting.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Barmera, Australia

Nice tomatoes! They didn't even get a mention.
Brian

lol - lets see the tomato on the terrace is a noid, I pinched out a lateral & grew it in a pot over winter...
nice shape & flavour so I am glad I kept it going.
The one in the North facing garden is from a seedling given to me by one of my RSA regulars, it was labeled Early Girl but not sure if that is correct.
I don't know enough about tomatoes to recognise it...
he gave me a Money Maker as well but it died off.
Unless I have the two mixed up...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Terrace tomato is either a lateral from one of two noid tomatoes given to me last year or from the third plant I grew as a seedling that came up where I had my Sweet 100's the year before...
it looked just like sweet 100 but the fruit was full size.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Lovely pics Dalfye...I really love your succulent ...is it a house leek sempervirens?
Heres my pic for today

This message was edited Feb 6, 2009 12:22 PM

Thumbnail by brical1

I have no idea which succulents I have, they were part of a prize that Chita won years ago.
Once I have some more potting mix I plan on giving them a new home - or two perhaps since there is at least two different types in there.
The one flowering will grow in the garden here , I have seen it on someones front border up the road.
I spent the afternoon planting my new babies out the back.
Hope they come away as it it too sparse out there.
First time I have ever put so much thought into planting, I read the labels carefully & then got the tape measure to check on how they would fit in...
Fingers crossed :)

Thumbnail by dalfyre

My lace bark is really looking pretty...
more flowers are out & more to come.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

close up of lace bark flowers

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Barmera, Australia

G'Day Dalfyre, Your Lacebark is different to ours because those flowers don't look like a Brachychiton. Do you know the botanical name of yours?
Brian

NZ Lacebark or Ribbonwood... aka Hoheria.
I am not sure which variety I have two look like it:
H. populnea or H. sexstylosa
but it is possible mine is a hybrid as they are a popular landscaping tree since they have showy flowers & unusual for NZ native - deciduous.

http://www.nzplantpics.com/sfeature_galleries/hoheria_photography.htm

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/research/biosystematics/plants/weaving/Houhere.asp

interesting - while I was researching lacebark I found it is a suggested alternative to Acer negundo (Box Elder) in Sydney.

http://www.sydneyweeds.org.au/garden-escapes.php

I have to say I am pleased it is on the approved list, it really is attractive in shape & foliage colour/texture & it has really lovely flowers as a bonus:)

Gisborne, New Zealand

stapelia variagata

Thumbnail by Awchid
Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Awchid that Stapelia is quite showy and a number to come by the look of the buds.
Regards Brian

Gisborne, New Zealand

The flower is 16cm from petal tip to petal tip. The smell wasn't too bad and it was attracting a few flies . the white bits are where it has been blown.

Thumbnail by Awchid

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.