Let's see your ARBORS and TRELLISES !

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

How about all you rose lovers and vine enthusiasts posting pictures of your arbors and/or trellises ?

Whether it's the structure itself, or what's growing on it, share your ideas.

Here is just a plain old, non-descript steel arbor with Lemon Meringue cl. rose from last year. It has a Wisley clematis growing in with it...(but it wasn't flowering when this was taken.)

If you have a small garden, like I do, you can utilize arbors and trellises to create "rooms" and enhance pathways. Is a great way to grow more plants if you're short on space...just go vertical !

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Here's another one with Orange ivy geraniums and a purple campsis (not in flower when photo taken).
You can add "found" iron work to the sides of an arbor to create a more dimensional effect. None of these pieces matched, but who cares? The vines sort of draw them all together in time, anyway.

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I love those photos! Your garden is so incredibly neat, JD. I always have dead leaves all over everything, but your garden is as neat as a pin.

I have to go hunt up some photos, but they certainly won't be as neat as yours.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I have so many arbors and trellises you wouldn't believe it. They're handy if you have way too many plants in your garden. You can force things to grow vertically and then plant a dozen other things at the bottom.

This is a big Lady Banks rose, which rests on two wooden arbors and a big wrought iron arbor. You'll recognize it as the cover of my calendar this year, JD.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's another Rosa Banksia, stretching across one redwood arbor and two metal arbors:

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I have 10 or 12 of these pillars. I can plant two or three climbing roses around them and a few Clematis vines. These are just $20 catalog items and they're starkly utilitarian, so I usually dress them up with something like a gazing ball. This picture was taken at night.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's another nighttime photo. This is actually a gazebo, but everything on my property eventually becomes an arbor.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's another big rose that's held up by more than one arbor. It's Cecile Brunner.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's New Dawn on a redwood arbor. This one has stained glass accents.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Some of my arbors are components of my redwood decks. This one holds up Dorothy Perkins.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's the arbor at the main entrance to the back garden. It's personalized in various ways. It says "ZUZU" at the top and has a gate with abalone shells arranged in a "Z." There's also a fake cat and a real cat, which are highly characteristic of my garden. There are many of each.

The Hydrangea is not really growing in the middle of the driveway. I had just bought it at the flea market and set it down to take a picture of it.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

That Zuzu arbor is in really bad shape. The reason is that it's used daily as a scratching post, mainly by this guy.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

But also by this girl.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

And also by this guy.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Blaze lives on a trellis forming the roof of this deck.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I said before that everything eventually becomes an arbor in my garden. I tried three times to kill a really ugly scrub oak, which refused to die, so I planted a Wisteria next to it and now it's just a hidden arbor.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great photos, everyone. I'll have to see what I can find but I don't have any arbors...yet.

JD's garden is always so neat, as you said, Zuzu. The roses are so lush, too.

Loved the arbor that holds up Dorothy Perkins. I guess at the age of the real Dorothy Perkins we'll all need an arbor to hold us up.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have always lived in New York State,in the fingerlakes regeon in particular.
We would travel north from Cayuga Lake to West Walworth where my grandparents had a dairy farm.
Just after ww2 we were comming into Newark when my parents notiched a farm hillside being transformed. It was odd because there hadnt been much done anywhere duering and just after the war as far as recovery went.
Our next trip revieled the name of this grand gouse and gardens as Jackson and Perkins Roses.That was over 60 years ago.
The property was sold years ago and the business moved, probably to where they are now and in a bigger market.

Since J & P changed hands they've spiraled downhill in my opinion, Jo Ann.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes I agree.
They only sold roses for years.
I remember going to the gardens with my mother and grandmother once. They thought the purchase of one rose each was such a big deal.
If they could see what goes on atDG it would really open their eyes.
Alas - - - - gone now but its where I learned to love flowers from my grandmother.

That would be a good idea for a thread, Jo Ann. Where did you get your love of flowers and gardening. Why not start it?

No arbors here, I'm afraid, JD, but I do use my magnolia as an arbor of sorts since I have four clematis on it. Here's Candida Languinoisa:

Thumbnail by pirl

The President also grows on the Magnolia.

Thumbnail by pirl

Languinosa Candida went in reverse to get to the trellis.

Thumbnail by pirl

In the background you can see the trellis with clematis Niobe on it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

That Candida is just gorgeous, Pirl.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Ditto to that !!!

Thanks. I'd have more but something is amiss with my photo program and it's quite annoying.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

My jackmanii has huge new sprouts on it already...hope they don't get nipped by cold if we have a wet February. All the others are just barely starting to sprout.
Keeping fingers crossed...

Jackmanii on the copper trellis that Jack made before the wind tore off the top.

Thumbnail by pirl

In full bloom but taken from the rear.

Thumbnail by pirl

After the top came tumbling down.

Thumbnail by pirl

Jackmanii out by the light post.

Thumbnail by pirl
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

just admit it Arlene...the top came off because you found one rogue bloom that didn't match the rest, so you climbed up there to snip it and broke it yourself ! I wasn't born yesterday...

Actually it's hard to believe it but there are at least two other clematises on that trellis but Jackmanii must take up all the goodness from the compost and the other two rarely bloom but it is Pamela Harper who said if a bloom isn't right or doesn't match to just pluck it off so I'm not above doing that.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

obviously (hee hee)

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I have this new trellis, a rebar one DH broght home last July. I have a newly planted Autumn Sunset rose and a purple clematis next to it, Warsaw Nike. I can hardly wait until they all fill in over the arbor!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Here is the full size just put in, so bare! The reddish rose is Pinata. So far I only have pots in this corner which is next to my bedroom sliding glass door. It's still a work in progress area since this section of the house is a new addition. Now see the one my DH built in the background? pained green, it is too shaded by some overgrown trees and so far I haven't been able to grow anything worthwhile on it. I need some suggestions for something that doesn't mind late afternoon sun, nothing pick though.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

By Nov., Autumn Sunset was already up to the top. I need to train the other canes a bit more horizontal to get some more lateral canes I think.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Sue, that style arbor is the same as the ones I have, only mine are the narrower ones. I have Pinata on one too, and have Henryi clematis merging with it.

One thing I neglected to consider when I put in so many arbors, is that once they get covered with whatever you plant on them, they change the sun/shade exposure in that vicinity...so you may have to end up moving some things that get less (or more) sun as a result. But then again, it gives you an excuse to try new and different plants !

That's my theory too! Nothing ever stays the same in a garden.
I love how Autumn Sunset looks peaking through the bars.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.