Ice storm

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

It is good to know that all my buddies are ok. I hate not knowing what is happening to everyone. Praise the Lord that none of them were injured or had any major medical problems during this time. That is a real blessing considering what it could have been.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Glad to hear things are getting straightened out. Nice to have warm weather for the power lone guys. Up here they would be fighting very low temperatures. Last big storm we had, (1974), it stayed way below zero for a week afterwords. There wasn't a lot of outages, but huge drifts of snow to move. It was so cold the snow was very hard & plowed hard.
I don't ever remember an ice storm that did much damage around here. To cold for ice!

Bernie

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

I apologise if I intruded where I shouldn't have. I just wanted to share.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Doe, you didn't intrude. If you have ice, or have friends that were in the storm, this is the place you need to be. I agree, we had an ice storm in 03, I think, and looking back and comparing that one and this one, this is by far the worst. Don't want to have this happen too often.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We appreciate the info. We are concerned for everyone who has been affected by this tragic storm. Good to hear you have faired as well as you have. We were blessed to get a glancing blow and I am praying for those who were hit hard.

Wayne says he doesn't think it's going to take as long as they think to get everyone back on. It just takes a long time to replace all the poles that snapped, besides the wires.

There are many snapped poles in this community and they are methodically working on getting them replaced. Bless those workers. I am personally sending them something, don't know what right now for doing a largely thankless job, at the time. I know they get paid, and well too, but people don't often acknowledge them, until something like this comes along. Back when Ike blew through here, I made sandwiches and cool drinks and took it out to the workers and although they acknowledged that they were not supposed to do so, gladly accepted the food and drinks, as it was late afternoon, and I think the bellies were talking louder than the men's heads!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It would be nice if they would give the broken poles to people. They would make nice raised beds are play ground equipment.

Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

Wow, thanks for all the updates! So glad to hear from everyone, and so happy that the power is coming back on. Still praying for everyone affected by this monster storm.

Love to all,

Bonnie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We're still powerless. The day is pretty, so maybe they will make good headway. The snow missed us completerly.

Audrey, we are so thankful tor the people of north west TN. The communities all along the line have been so good to help us. I don't know where we'd be without them at this point.

I just heard that some of Kennett Mo. have their power back on! But not all.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

That is wonderful!

Still in the dark here.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Melissa is back home with power - it came on sometime yesterday. Adam was out cleaning up the yard and she was in cleaning up the house. She says her refrigerators are very clean.

Hope yours comes on soon!!

I just spoke to Shar a few minutes ago. She sounded a bit tired but was very up beat and positive ... you know how Sharon is. LOL She did tell me that she had lost the tops out of a lot of those big old trees around her. Oooh, I bet it was some of those she's written about. That's ashame! She was counting her blessings and talking about how everyone was pitching in and helping, and how grateful they all are that no one has been seriously injured ...
~Susan

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi gang!
I'm at Mel's house on her laptop. I'll be out of internet/phone service for a spell. I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the concern. We are doing well and handling things like seasoned pros! We had hurricane boot camp for umpteen years...it paid off!

Our power was restored last night, don't know for how long, but I'm thankful.

We had a limb go through our camper and some of our fences have been torn up. Almost every tree on our 8 acres has been topped or snapped. For 72 hours straight all I heard was trees crashing to the ground.

It looks like a hurricane hit here..unreal!

I hope to check back in a few days. Just wanted to say hi!

Warm wishes from Florida and I hope the thaw will come soon!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Lisa took one look at my set up and proclaimed.."this is so Louisiana!

While she was here the Natl Guard came by doing a house to house check. They are trying to contact every residence in the area to make sure that folks do not need anything.

It is another pretty day, except for all of the broken trees and power poles. Weather is supposed to get cold though tomorrow.

Still no power...and no idea when I'll have any. Got steak thawing for supper.

I can not believe Lisa moved all that way to get to do that all over again!! At least you're prepared, Lisa! You can show everyone else how to do it! Maybe that's why God picked that spot out for you? Y'all take care and stay safe. We're all sending prayers from waaay down south!
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It snowed here for hours but the temps were around 40 so we didn't get any accumulation. So glad of that. Now we have to watch for flooding. There are still places here who have no power.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey, Fellow Kentuckians! (And others affected!) Glad to hear all of you are making the best of a bad situation.

Just found this thread and was going to add that I heard the National Guard was going to do a door to door search...much needed, in case someone needs to get to a safe place, but Melody had already posted that comment. Thanks for giving updates on evreyone there!

I'm out of state right now, so am very lucky not to have to deal with any of this. You all are in my T&P!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Robin
Do you know the status at your place?

National Guard was supposed to be out in SE MO. today, too. That's good, there are older people who can't get out to get help.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes, I thanked them and told them that we were fine. We appreciated them so much, but to go on and find someone who really needed their assistance.

It was good to know that they were there if we did need something though.

Mel, glad this storm missed you. It's coming to get us. I hope it doesn't get too too cold.

Lisa, it's nice to hear from you. I hope you don't have too much damage. Are you back in your house?

You are all in my prayers.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Cajun, I know it's bad all over the area, but did read where our county was hit extremely hard. Talked to a flea market owner/neighbor that is 1/4 mile away from our place a couple of days ago and she said she didn't see any pieces of our mobile home or shed in the field across the road from her from our hilltop, which is always good news! Thankfully, we didn't have any trees to worry about falling on our place and the power line is buried the last 150' to the the pedestal, so no worry about downed power lines near the house. I did talk to the gal at our local water department yesterday and she had the guys go shut our water off at the main yesterday afternoon. She said they watched the meter first, to make sure it wasn't moving. Good sign, as it means there was probably no water lines that burst. Biggest problem we have now is accessing the money in our bank account, since there's no electricity there and DHs check is direct deposited. The bank VP said there was no time frame for when they can expect their service back up. We have good friends working here where Al is working, and they are helping cover our expences till things get back to normal.

Need an update on how you all are doing. Do you have your power back on yet?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

No power here.

We're more fortunate than some. The generator is heating the house and I have hot water. The wind is blowing and it is spitting snow...one very cold and miserable day.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Good to know, Mel. Thanks! When this is all over with, I swear I'm getting a generator and a wood burning stove! Sounds like the best insurance possible. How or what do you do about stocking fuel?

Predictions of 3-6 inches of snow here, and I think it has surpassed it already. Just another bump in the road, ice covered by new snow. I will quit complaining, I have power and heat and plenty to eat, so all is good.

Good news in the Bootheel of MO!Wayne's power came on last night about 8. He said he was gonna leave all the lights on all night! At least he's warm again! Good luck to everyone else!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

That is great news!

Still nothing here, but I am warm and dry.

Bet we have 10-12 inches of new snow here already, and it is still snowing. I have no plans of going anywhere, so will just watch out the window. DH just left to take his DB to the airport in Lexington, for a flight back to Florida. He winters there, and has been home for a week. Bet he is ready to see better weather.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I went to the dollar store a bit ago. just popped in for a few things. We were having a few flurries when i went it. 15 minutes later I didn't know if I was going to make it home. I only live a mile from the store. We must have gotten 2 inches in 30 minutes. It has stopped now but I think it is going to do this all night and tomorrow. We'll have a time getting to the barn. Can't get to the farm but I know the 4 horses there are fine.

DH fell on the ice today and hurt his shoulder. Please keep him in your prayers.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I complain about the cold, but it isn't near as bad as that ice. I wish your hubby a fast recovery!
Warm up starts tomorrow. Sending it SE.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We're set for a bad couple of days. Have I mentioned I hate cold weather?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

No snow here, and the ice is all gone. We just have the aftermath...and wind chills are supposed to be about 0* tonight and tomorrow. We have lots of cold people out there shivering in powerless homes. Shelters are open, but there are those who insist on staying at home. Natl Guard is doing what they can, and we have crews from many states here helping...thank you to every state that sent anything, no matter how small. It all makes a difference.

I am still without power, but we have a generator that can power my house. I can't run my clothes dryer...but that is a very small inconvenience. We are warm, well fed and comfortable. There are whole towns that do not even have running water as the pumping stations are dark. Several counties have closed schools until further notice.

We've got a huge mess here and the cold just makes it worse.

Mel, I am so glad that you are not getting hit by this snow storm. I think I reported 10-12 inches the last time I checked in about 4 hours ago, and now it is who knows how deep, and still snowing. DH got back from the airport, but reported the roads snow covered and slick. He came in ate supper, watched 1/2 of the Ky ballgame, and headed out to spend the night taking care of his DM.

Since I usually go to the grocery on Wednesday, and DH is gonna be in that town where I shop, may just phone him a grocery list in the morning as I will not go out by myself, and he will be all done in when/or if he gets home.

Cajuninky, hunker down, more is coming your way. Oh, Oh, the lights just began to flicker, Oh, no, no more power outages!!

The fixers are headed north of us! Keep your spirits high! Help is on the way!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Hang in there everyone. I am praying for all of you and for all of the poor miserable people who are trying to weather this miserable weather in their homes without much to keep them going. It will be really, really bad for many people.

Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

Still praying for light and warmth for those hit by this storm.

Love to all,

Bonnie

Just stopping by to say hi and send my prayers to everyone tonight.
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.