Ice storm

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Thought you'd be interested in seeing what I woke up to this morning. We still have power...although it has 'hiccuped' a time or two. Cable is out, but I have a wireless Verizon doohicky for just such times. Thousands without power, transformers blowing all over. Outside it sounds like guns going off as branches break.

The Weather Channel is broadcasting from Paducah. It is a mess...and we all know how they love a good mess at the WC. This even rates Jim Cantori showing up.

Here's my backyard.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

My neighbors across the road.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

My back door neighbor's barn.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Close up of my crape myrtle.

Cantori was pleased to let us know that this was just 'halftime' as he called it...got the second half of the system to come tonight with a topping of several inches of snow.

The good news is that it is supposed to be in the 50's by Sat.

Thumbnail by melody
(Zone 7a)

That's some amazing storm, Melody. Thanks for sharing.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

What a mess! It's really sad about the trees. In 2005 we had a freaky early snowstorm when the leaves were still on the trees. The weight of the snow along with the weight of the leaves pretty much stripped the trees of branches. Your trees don't have leaves right now, do they? Hopefully that will minimize the damage to them.

Hang in there. Saturday is only 3 1/2 days away, but I know it seems like a long time.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

No leaves, thank goodness.

Just heard a loud pop...my neighbor just lost a Bradford pear. Split in half and landed in her front porch.

The roads are clear, they treated them before the storm and temps are hovering right at 32. Traffic is moving pretty much normal, it is just the trees and power lines that are taking the hits.

Here's my greenhouse.

Thumbnail by melody
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Do the neighbors still have the mini donk and goats? That must have been a wake up this morning!

I hate to say this, but it is sunny and in the low 20s here right now. The barn door is open for some fresh air and not much of a breeze. Snow tonight, but only around 6 inches, then another dose tomorrow. I haven't heard anything from the KY clan yet.

Stay warm!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Goats and donks are gone.

Neighbor sold out...he had back surgery and couldn't take care of the animals and property. We have new neighbors...a young couple. They are just moving in and haven't moved their animals yet. He's working on the electric fence because they have a couple of horses.

I've met him, but not her. They seem like nice folks.

Rub it in that you are having better weather than us! Lisa lost power last night, but they got it back on a little while ago.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

I am about 10 or 12 miles north of Melody....limbs are still crashing down. Electricity is intermittent. Just a little bit scary.

Thumbnail by Sharran

Back yard is full of limbs, but they are still falling, and no way am I going out to take a picture.
Mel, you stay safe. I am blocked in by limbs. Feels like a tree cave, sounds like a war zone.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Actually, I was a little optimistic on the temp - only 19 - and the sun went away as soon as I mentioned it - typical!

Sharon, stay inside!!!

Don't worry, Kathleen....can't even open my back door anyway. The last limb was more like about a third of the tree.

(Zone 7a)

I've never seen an ice storm. Very scary stuff.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Those photos remind me of the terrible ice storm we had here in Arkansas a few years back. The ice ruined trees all over the southern half of the state and many people were out of electricity for as long as 3 weeks. At that time we lived in a house which was on several acres. There were several big oak trees and big limbs continued falling out of those trees literally for several years after. Fortunately, none of the trees were close to the house.

You folks stay safe!!

Still falling branches and whole trees...

Thumbnail by Sharran

and a little closer

Thumbnail by Sharran
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here are a few more...we got out to see if my husband's business had power yet...nada. We have electric here at the house and satellite is still giving us tv. No phone or cable, and from the looks of things, it will be a while before those return.

Here is my neighbor's Bradford pear. All the Bradford pears in the area are much worse for wear...none were unscathed.

Thumbnail by melody

Right about the Bradford pears, my back yard neighbor lost one, and the one across the street is across the road.

I am losing the tops out of all my huge old maples.
They are all over the yard.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The new neighbor's house.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just down the road.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Road blocked with wires and branches everywhere.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

More downed trees and wires.

Thumbnail by melody

I have decided if I could pick up all the branches and limbs that are in my yard, I would have a huge new tree, different species all together in one.

Diversi - tree.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

So beautiful - and so sad... Please be careful!

("Diversi-tree..." ROFLOLOL)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow- and I imagine there will be more to show us by tomorrow with snow on top of it.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Good morning.

Power went out during the night. Cell service is intermittent at best, and I'm saving my battery. My broadband is working for now so I'm able to get on line.

We justthought yesterday was a mess. It will be days before things are up and running.

For the time being we are home. It is in the 50's here in the house and we're warm enough. We're fine. I'll keep this thread updated as long as I have access....it is snowing now. We have about an inch or two on top of all of that ice and it is still coming down, but lightly.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

BeCarefully yourself it would be very dangerous to me that happen in Joplin, MO twice! It snap or crack the limbs behind me I ran quickly 3 times... So, Don't go outside near anything which you will hear sound... Stay inside and safe...

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. I am glad you are ok. Love you.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I just came across this thread. Gee, what a mess! We've had ice storms, but never like that. Everybody be careful, I want to be able to see all of you again next fall.
Best to you,
Bernie

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I just talked to Melody and they are headed away from their house now looking for a motel room. I offered a room here but they are going to try to find one in the area first as they hate to get far from home right now. She said that the roads are terrible to navigate.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We're home. The roads are a mess and there is absolutely no service of any kind for miles. No gas, no restaurants, no motels, no power. Wal marts are all closed. The house is holding about 53 and we're plenty warm, have food and hot water. (gas hw heater) We decided to stay put for awhile. We've got a grill and steak in the freezer.

Verizon is the only cell service available, the other companies are all not operating. Hospitals are on generator. Everything, and I mean everything else is powerless. The main transmission lines from the power plants are down. I have not seen one power truck or cable truck yet. All the recovery in this neck of the woods have been the good old boys with chain saws. This is a wide ranging outage...about a hundred miles in each direction.

I have more pictures...will be back later to post some.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

But is the storm over now?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It quit snowing this morning about 8. This is supposed to be it as far as precipitation goes, but the aftermath of the melting is going to be unbelievable. I cannot imagine what the big oak trees at Prizer Point look like.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I will keep checking on you, girl. Thanks for calling telling us that you were searching for a motel. The offer of our home is still good if you get fed up with roughing it. I know that I am the camper in the bunch and not you guys. LOL

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Molly has gas logs in Paducah if we decide to head in that direction. They have no power as well, and Jim went and got Mom. The logs won't heat the whole house, but they're making do...and she has a gas stove that she can cook with. If we really wanted to, we could head down there, but we're fine.

They're saying maybe 10 days on power in some spots...possibly longer.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hey, Mel, come on up. All we have is a foot of snow - things are still quite do-able here.

Stay warm.

Melissa and crew have propane heat and city water so they are surviving quite nicely - until time to clean out the freezers - - -

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

What a mess, Melody! You all stay safe! Best wishes to all the folks up there!
North Arkansas is in the same shape. I have a friend in Yellville(north central Arkansas near the Missouri border). She called me last night on her cell phone. She said they were without power and all wrapped up in blankets trying to stay warm. She also said tree limbs were falling all around them and it sounded like gun shots when they would break and fall. Ice storms are terrible!
In my area everything is fine. The bad weather has moved out although it is still cold. Currently 30ºF with a low of 22ºF for tonight. Our streets are clear and dry, thank goodness!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Ok, Mel. Thanks for the reports. Happy CAMPING, my friend. At least you will be in your own bed and not on the ground or outside afraid your camper is going to blow in the river. :>)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

That will be help for camping supplies that I use when I has no power for 4 days plus I has generaters too... Everything is okay here and only I has 1 inches icy then snow on top 5 inches...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.