What are you going to plant this year?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It's getting almost time to think about our veggie gardens. What's everybody going to plant this year? I love getting new ideas. With the way the economy is, I suspect lots of new folks will b e putting in veggie gardens this year.

Here's some of what i'll be planting

bloomsdale long standing spinach
early alaska green pea
brocolli packman
cauliflower
baby pak choy
green onion,
lettuce
raddishes
brussel sprouts, but I may wait till fall and plant these

also going to plant
zipper cream pea
blue lake green bean bush variety
purple hull pea
tomatoes several diff varieties, usually the ones I can find at lowes, cause they seem to grow best in our area.
cucumbers, national pickling variety
cantelope and some watermelon
yellow straight neck squash
zuchinni
patty pan varieties

fall
more spinach
turnips
mustard greens
kale dwarf curly
spegetti squash
sweet dumpling squash
acorn squash

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Hi Kathy saw your post about this thread.
Here's my list, all from Territorial seeds (short season):

Carrots: Mokum, Rodelika
Peas: Super Sugar snap
Beans: Violet podded, Soleil french filet, Red Noodle (asian), Sayamusume (edemame)
Zukes: Gold Rush, Flying Saucer (patty pan)
Winter Squash: delicata & ???
Cukes: Rocky
Eggplant: Hansel
Lettuces: Tom Thumb, Little Gem, Marshall
Basil: Aroma, Siam Queen
Peppers: Black Pearl, Thai Bird, Fatalii, Ancho, Serrano, Jalapeno (can't decide which)
Broccoli: Southern Comet
Brussel Sprouts: Rubine
Scallions: Red Beard
Parsley: Italian plain
Radish: Icicle short
Tomatoes: Chocolate cherry, Gold Nugget, Super Marzano
Tomatillos: Mexican purple
Melons: Lil' Loupe, Petite Treat
Cilantro
Orach red
Shiso

Sweet Potatoes: Violetta, Korean Purple (SandHill)
Shallots - from Whole Foods veg bin
Potatoes: Ronnigers - 5 types - don't remember the names.

Ashland, MT(Zone 4a)

Although I will try about anything that looks/sounds good my ultimate goal is to move toward open pollinated varieties.

Here is what I have planned for 2009, so far.

Herbs
Lemon Balm
Genovese Basil
Thyme
Giant Parsley
Chives
Cilantro
Anise
Oregano

Beans
Burpee's Stringless
Sieva Lima Bean
Charlevoix Dark Read
Lina Sico's Bird Egg

Tomatos
Orange Aunt Gertie's Gold
White - Ole Ivory Egg
Yellow Brandywine, Platfoot Strain
Red - Early Girl VFF Hybrid
Roma VF
Red Cherry large

Beets
Detriot Dark Red
Albino

Carrots
Scarlet Nates Carrot (Good as Baby Carrots)
St. Valery Carrot

Potato
Carola (was ok but going to try something different in 09)

Peas
Dwarf Gray Sugar Pea
Amish Snap Pea

Peppers
Blushing Beauty Hybrid (Sweet)
Large Red Thick Cayenne (Hot)
Tam Jalapeņo (Hot)
Habanero (Hot)

Radish
Cherry Belle Radish

Corn
Hybrid SE/se Corn (ok but would like to move to heirloom.)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Beyond the normal vegetables the new things will be
champion radish
short Kuroda carrot
horseradish
Wonder bell pepper
pimento sweet pepper ~ hoping these will be a good one to pickle
spaghetti squash
Peter pan summer squash
Golden honeydew melon
Mexican mint marigold
Par-cel ~ celery flavored
lemon cucumber
Spacemaster bush cucumber
arugula
An assortment of tomatoes ~ just one or two of each.
porter tomato
red robin
totem
gardeners delight
FL basket
and maybe a few others.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I think I'm goin g to try the delicata squash this fall too. sounds good.

and forgot about the wax beans I was going to grow.

I've gotten ideas already from the diff posts here.

I may have to look up those melons katye, are they musk type melons or water melons. One year I grew 6 or 7 diff melons to have a variety. there were a couple that no one liked one was that tigger melon and another was some asian melon.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

the melons I grow are truly short-season. Lil' Loupe is 70 days, and Petite Treat is 85.
I have grown the galia type, but since it's so cool here, it's almost a miracle to get 1 melon.
Both melons cited are quite sweet, and could be considered "personal-sized" melon. Depending on whether or not you want to share.....

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I grew Petite Treat last year. It was sweet enough, but this year I'm going for a somewhat larger size in my watermelons.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

hot peppers
bhut jolokia
7 pot
naga morrich
chiltepin

sweet peppers
ref ruffled pimento

tomtoes
sun gold
red penna
eva purple ball
sandal moldovan
orange strawberry

basil
salad leaf

eggplant
black beauty

lettuce
tom thumb

sugar snap beans
french fillet

don't know if i will get seeds starting on all of them but will try my best.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Kathy.. I surpised on the Tiger melon cuz that oen did real well here and next door grew the aisian melons. He didn't even get the plants in th egroudn here til November and didn't think they woudl make it in time, but right up til firt frost they grew nd he had all kinds of them asian melons ready.

I would love to find a really baby carrot liek them minature one s ya find in the store that only about 2 " long.

Ashland, MT(Zone 4a)

starlight,

I use Scarlet Nates Carrot and don't thin. They are very good.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have never had any luck growing carrots. guess I don't have the rigth soil for it. but I'd love to grow those little ones too.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I think those little ones in bags in the stores are really just big carrots that they whittle down.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I figured that, but they do have those little carrots, about 5 inches long,

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53247/

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

ha! How about that, it even says there are s everal vendors who have that plant for sale. Can't imagine buying one carrot plant LOL I checked, they have the seeds for sale. Wonder why it didn't say has seeds for sale instead of plant

This message was edited Jan 25, 2009 9:51 PM

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

A lot of the little carrots in the bags at store are what is called baby cut and not really baby carrots. So, yes, they are cut to be small and not harvested as small carrots.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I have extra seeds of the Burpee Little Fingers, if anybody wants some.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Is little fingers a good carrot? I mean sweet and small?

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

They're small. We didn't get alot of full size ones this year . . . DS kept pulling them out to see if they were any bigger yet!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

This list does not list all the varieties, but most favorities.

Green beans: Burpee tenderpod
Lima beans : Burpees Fordhook 242
Beets: Ace
Broccoli : Coronado, Marathon, Triathlon
Cabbage: Solid Blue
Carrot: Nevis, Karoda
Cantaloupe: Sugar Queen, Primo, Classic, Burpee Crenshaw
Corn: Ambrosia, Incredible, Montauk
Lettuce: Red Sails, Royal Red, Nevada,
Peas: Super Sugar Snap
Onions: Candy
Peppers: Calfornia Wonder
Squash: zucchini, butternut, Honey Bear
Tomatoes: Pink Girl, Rose, Rose de Berne, Big Beef, Goliath, Juliet, Sun Gold, Anna Russian
Watermelon: Raspa, Sangria, SF #420, Royalty, Dixie Lee, Orangeglo, Orange Sunshine [seedless], Sweet Slice Plus [seedless]

And some other things

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 4:48 PM

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Indy -
LOL, is "and some other things" code for "all the other stuff I can't believe I bought"?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Nah.....just the usual odds and ends like spinach, cucumbers, bok choy, potatoes, sweetpotatoes [O'Henry], pumpkins, kolirabi, cauliflower, wheat, barley, nastursiums, 500 glads............

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 10:08 PM

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

LOL! "Usual odds & ends"!
I noticed you saved the 500 glads for last...

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

What's a good cantelope melon to grow that is small in size but good tasting. firm texture. would love a brighter orange colored one, I know i've seen one that had a super bright orange meat to it but can't find it now.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I really like the Sugar Queen from Willhite... Course it's not a particularly small melon and it's not brilliant orange inside, but it is firm and to me it tastes great.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm assuming this thread is for summer veggie's? One of the nice things about living down here is I have been harvesting edible podded peas, lettuces (too many different varieties--LOL), carrots, turnips, spinich, toi choi, etc. since December 15th--I succesively sow down here; but stopped on winter-growers about the first of Jan. We've had about 6 hard freezes this winter--more than most years but it hasn't affected the vegetables. Still have broccoli and b sprouts growing but they aren't ready yet. Winter herbs are doing great (dill, fennel, parslies, cilantro--oregano + thyme + rosemary are still doing great from the summer). Tomatoes + peppers are under the lights.

For spring (like early March here) I'm growing:
1. tomatoes--12 varieties this year (mostly 1 or 2 of each--there are only so many tomatoes I can deal with and work a full time contract job too)
2. peppers--9 varieties (1, 2, + 3 of some kinds)
3. 1 yellow fruited and 1 orange fruited watermelon (breakfast for me in summer)
4. enough different kinds of basil to supply the Sicilian embassy (have a guy friend that's Sicilian--he loves basil but so do I)
5. 1 or 2 of one variety of eggplant
6. I grow a lot of french filet green beans--7 varieties of pole and 19 bush--also a couple of those french beans that are red/white speckled (Borlotto lingua di fuoco + borlotto di vigevano)--I'm the one that love's the french vegetables
7. squash--I've got 5 kinds but I'll probably run out of room for all of them--LOL
8. cucumbers--5 kinds--we love them, we eat them like chips with ranch dressing dip

basically, anything that goes in a salad or with pasta is how we subsist--except for the green beans (I just like them)--and fruit for breakfast + snacking--no meat here

I'm trying to trying to train the men I'm friends with to quit eating meat (or at least at my house anyway)--but not having much luck with that. ;)
Debbie

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I've totally given up cantaloupes after growing charentais last year.

charentais never did well for me either--but other's do much better

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Kathy_Ann ~ that is the one that came to mind when you asked for a small ( 2 - 2 1/2 pounds) , firm and orange melon. Perhaps it will do well in your zone. http://www.willhiteseed.com/search.php

Willhite's a good Tx company--but most of their seeds are treated, if that's a concern (its not to everyone, I know). They cater mainly to the large ag interests in TX and that's why they treat. But a great family oriented business--nice folks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.