Parents may be going to funeral in DC area - any ideas?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

My mom and dad's good friend died Thursday and the funeral may be in DC. Not knowing anything about the area, mom started a thread in General Discussion, asking for recommendations on a place for her and dad to stay. If y'all could check it out and chime in, I know they'll appreciate your knowledge of the area! :) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/945037/

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Actually in DC? It would help to know what neighborhood. It will be a lot easier for them to have a hotel close to where the funeral will be. You've never been really lost until you've been lost in DC.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I answered you on the thread I linked to. My mom won't see this one. Thanks for answering! :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I agree about staying nearby if possible. The logistics would be a lot easier than if they stayed here, for example, and tried to take car/train/metro downtown.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill -- It appears the church is right smack downtown, so that might not be practical. I suggested staying in Rockville, since that is en route and not all that terribly long a drive to downtown.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's a good idea... actually, staying anywhere near a Metro stop would work. I used to advertise us as being convenient to the Metro, since it's only about 20 or 25 minutes away (without traffic), but parking at the end of the red line has become pretty tight.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The church isn't all that close to a Metro, and the walk isn't through the most inviting of neighborhoods, so I don't think that is promising. I spent a long time on a Metro map, but finally scrapped that approach.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmm. Hope they can work something out, maybe just stay nearby (in a slightly more inviting neighborhood).

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, cost was a really big issue, so I thought that pretty much ruled out DC. Wrightie suggested College Park. I found a Best Western in Rockville with free breakfasts for $63. Since they'd be coming down 270 anyway, that wouldn't take them out of their way. They could always drive to the Metro and park their car there and take the subway if they wanted to -- but if it were me, I think I'd drive down. I bet the church has a parking lot. It is fairly close to Union Station, but tucked in the highway interchange there.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for taking the time to help my folks. I really appreciate it! We looked around at the hotels site, but being unfamiliar with the neighborhoods and such, really wanted some firsthand knowledge from people in the area. You're a big help!

Would you believe they still don't have the arrangements made? It's craziness.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Maybe they'll just have a memorial service way after the fact? In the midst of grief, though, sometimes it is just hard to make decisions. . . .

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

My mom told me today they still have this lady's body at the funeral home in Ohio. Evidently the family is asking for donations so they can proceed? What a mess. :(

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Kim, for alerting me about this thread. Sheryl's aunt called this evening and told me the viewing and funeral are this Friday in DC. She passed away in the wee hours just about 1 AM Tuesday morning..I can't believe that there will be a two hour viewing before the funeral. on Friday.............eleven days after Sheryl's death. How horrible!

At this point we know what nights we would need to stay in DC and the Best Western that Happy suggested sounds like a good deal. Thank you, Happy, and all of you for your help. Now Bob and I are estimating the total cost of the trip and we will see if it is possible to go.

Cathy

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

At least gas prices are reasonable!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Cathy, how did it go?

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for asking. We weren't able to go.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, I'm sorry for that!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks. Her daughter e-mailed me yesterday and said she will have a memorial service at Sheryl's church but she hasn't spoken with the pastor yet. It has been over three weeks since Sheryl passed away and there has never even been a notice in the Columbus newspaper. Many people who knew her still don't know she is gone. Her daughter did everything in such a disorganized manner that her family in DC was beside themselves. Evidently there was nobody helping her or giving her any advice, but she refused the offers she received for assistance. It made sense to have a memorial service in Columbus first and then have another one in DC. The daughter was adamant about not having her mom cremated but that is what she ended up doing. It was all so bizarre..................Sheryl passed on at about 1:15 AM on a Tuesday and the remains were not taken to DC until the second Friday, which was 11 days later.

I'm just glad that Sheryl is at peace in Heaven and the whole ordeal is over.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.