labeling iris methods

I use regular white plant labels that Walmart and Home Deport sells. I mark them ON BOTH SIDES with a black marker. Since I sell Irises on Ebay, I'm a fanatic when it comes to names. So....

...for safety reasons, I have a chart in MS Exel to show where each one is planted. I have numbers on the labels which corresponds to the name of the Irises in my chart. I also have a hard copy from Excel just incase.

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Joy oh joy! My p touch 2700 labeler arrived today! I ordered it from amazon. I payed $52 and shipping was free! I cant wait to get started making labels.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Have fun! Did you get the TZ tape?

And remember, there is a way to get it to run a contiuous strip, so you don't lose a lot of tape to space between names.

It came with one tz tape but i am going to buy the extra sturdy tape online today. Its much cheaper than in the stores. It was $26 in stores but about 14 online. I cant believe how much info comes with it. A book! It will be fun though.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The TZ tape at our local Staples is ridiculous! Around 30.00. We have come across some good buys on ebay for it.

Normal, IL

Buy.com had the Brother QL570 Label Printer on sale today, until sold out. The QL is a thermal that downloads the label info from your pc and then prints the label.

For the QL there are only two types of type, paper and film label. The film label is heavier and more durable.

So the primary difference between the P-Touches and the QLs is the P-Touch is an all in one system where as the QLs must download the label data to print.

Can I conclude that the quality of print and durability is similar or better with the QL thermal printers ?

thank you.

Please answer yes, because the QLs download from excel spreadsheets which I tediously keep updated.

I wish i could help ya on that one but i know nothing about the QL machine.

This is where i bought my labels from today. It came out to about $32 for two cartridges of the heavy duty TZ tape. a much better deal than in the stores.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't know anything about the QL either, sorry.

You can use your ptouch from your computer. I'm not sure how the program works, I've never done it on their, as I take the labeler to the garden with me. I imagine they work the same way.

I hope the p touch will work with a excel sheet. that would be awesome. i will have to start reading the huge manual that comes with it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It is a lot to read for sure.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't know why the 3/4" extra adhesive Brother tape is so cheap at OfficeMax.com, but it is $3.49 per roll.

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=20702152&searchString=brother+TZS241&displayBreadCrumb&_requestid=252815

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't either, but maybe we should all buy some before they change their minds.

Normal, IL

Thanks! Your guidance and further research points to the P-Touches for outdoor labeling. I couldn't find any mention of outdoor labeling in the QL online docs...doesn't mean not suitable, but isn't obvious.

You've indicated go with the outdoor tape...TZS###.

One last question. To what do the labels best adhere to....metal or plastic markers ?

Every year I have to spend time rewriting and/or replacing markers. Not fun and would rather spend time cleaning and tending the beds and of course planting what I didn't need or have room for.

thanks

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I have mine on metal. I get them from Paw Paw. Then I clear coat them. They have lasted at least 8 years here.

The only problem I have had with the metal markers is the legs bend, so stick them down well in the ground.

Much more fun planting what you don't need or have room for, LOL.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I think the P-Touch TZ labels stick to almost anything. I have been putting them on my spice jars in the kitchen. They stick very nicely. See no reason why they wouldn't work on plastic. I am less sure about wood, but I think they would work on wood, too.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree, I think they would wok fine on plastic. I've only ever used metal in the garden, though.

They work great on my Grandaughter's plastic activity book, and everywhere else she puts them. They didn't stick long to the cat's tail.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's a good one, polly. It's probably a good thing it doesn't stick very well to fur!

South Hamilton, MA

Have to something to improve sticking qualities on fur. Where are all the inventors?

So i made my first label just now. super easy and yes it does except excel files. woohoooooo!
Im also trying to figure out why officemax has the tape for so cheap. typo?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Maybe, has anyone tried to buy it?

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I bought fifteen of them.... but I just checked and it looks as if the price is back up in line with the other tapes at Officemax

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I bet they figured out their mistake when you ordered. Hope you get them.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I got them back in January, charged at the reduced rate.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And they are the ones that fit in the ptouch? Lucky dog!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You were smart to strike before they discovered their error -- or sold out of the cheap ones.

no kidding! lucky!

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Hi guys, just thought you'd get a kick out of this way to label plants. I really doubt these will fade. LOL

http://www.greenhousecatalog.com/stone-garden-markers-p-269.html

Oh yeah, i have seen those. Nice for some herbs but time consuming to label 400 irises!LOL

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That is a great idea for beans and corn but what if your iris is Battlestar Gallactica or some even longer name! It would take a rather large piece of concrete to hold it. Still, I like the idea. There are places where I could use it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Not practical for me either, but they are cute!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.