labeling iris methods

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I use metal mini blinds cut into pieces. They tend to heave out of the ground though so i put them really deep last year. What do you use to write on them? I have only tryed sharpies and that doesnt work at all. they dont even make it through the summer. Pencil, paint pen, what should i use.

I eventually want to invest in gardenfonts.com They seem to be very good. Anyone ever use these? A little pricey but probably worth it. Stick em on some eon or paw paw markers and wala!

if someone lives next to me it would be awesome to split an order.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2009 10:55 AM

South Hamilton, MA

We use a p-touch machine & put the strips on the metal markers--last for about 5 yrs.

thats not bad. thanks

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

I use mini-blind slats and this marking pen. The marks last for years, as it's ink is fade resistant.
Also, I try to remember to bury a labeled slat under each clump. It has saved me several times. The Habitat for Humanity Restore is a great place to buy the mini-blinds.

http://www.gardeners.com/Marking-Pen/FlowerGardening_PlantMarkers,33-196,default,cp.html

thanks. i will have to get some.

Lebanon, OR

I use a paint pen by Mauvy called DecoLiner that I have used for 10 years now and only have to check them once in a while as long as I use BLACK FIND point, some of them are 4-5 years old

You can buy them at Michaels, Hobby Lobby and on line that I know of...

Hope this helps.

D

Cherryvale, KS

I have used Paw Paw for several years. When I was in OKC, I bought some Kincaid stainless steel markers. (http://kincaidgardens.com/). I have used these on my new beds along with a paint pen. They are super sturdy. They are a sponsor of the AIS national show in KC this year. The price for 100 is $72.00. They are super heavy, so if you drive to KC you could have them bring some, and save freight. Their e-mail is info1@kincaidgardens.com.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I use a p-touch labeler and Paw Paw markers. We clear coat them, and the ones my husband doesn't clip with the lawnmower last forever (or at least the 8 years I've been using them).

Davenport, WA

Pollyk, What do you clear coat them with?

Has anyone gone to this style from the other types available? I'm wondering which brand's are easiest to read from a standing ht?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Clear coat that comes in a spray can. You can find it with paint sprays. It's pretty cheap. It's actually called clear coat. I think you can also get it at the craft stores. It makes the labels last a lot longer.

thanks for the ideas all.

Shepherd, MT

This is a question I have been asking . I have discarded many iris as unknowns due to not being able to keep names on the tags.

I have used PawPaw for years and wrote the company and told them that after 5 months the name will be completely worn off the tags as nothing I have used (Markers) have worked.

I even tried to laminate them and the clear coat and even using a dremil tool to engrave the markers which you can not see. So what i have to do in go down each row and write the name and location of the each iris down and map it on the computer

I have used other metal tags and I have never been able to find a marker that the names on them will last the summer or winter.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Have you tried using the P-Touch system with the TZ tape? It really lasts for me. We get deep snow, and I do a lot of watering and fertilizing for my Japanese irises. We also get very hot summers, and the labels are out in full sun.

I use the Pawpaw tags. Using markers on them do not last for me.

If you have a lot of labeling to do the P-Touch is well worth it, I feel.

check out www.gardenfonts.com . Its a little expensive but if they last as long as they say they do then its very worth it. You can use your metal markers and they will make custom labels to fit it.

Lebanon, OR

What I use on metal, plastic both and takes quite awhile to get the sun and weather to wear off. Mauvy DecoLiner paint pens, you can get them at stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby or order on line.

I do something else as a safey in my own gardens and that is to label on the back with a #2 pencil as they will NOT come off unless you clean with lead cleaner...I have some that after 10 years still have the name on the back of the label.

D

thanks! I have so many unlabeled irises in my garden right now it makes me sick. every spring there is markers every where!!! Luckily i have all irises mapped out with full flower descriptions so i know general areas for them all. Just have to wait and see when bloom comes to start relabeling them. My bloom hasnt been good for years though because my soil has had it. This year i am digging em all up after bloom and amending the soil with leaf mold and aged goat manure.

South Hamilton, MA

Good luck on a intensive project.

thanks. it will be intensive. and take years!

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

i use the small eon tags, they blend in well. i write on them with a paint pen.

in addition to the markers, i keep a plant map in my garden diary. i update this annually or whenever i undertake a major plant moving project.

i learned the hard way the year i had little garden helpers and they made a tag bouquet for me.

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

I have started using Kincaid stainless steel markers a couple of years ago, and label with p-touch label maker with TZ tape. After 2+ years they look as good as new. I used to use paw paw markers, but they only last a few years, then home-made markers fabricated from aluminum welding wire and cut-up aluminum flashing, but the Kincaid SS markers are much superior to any other type. I received my first Kincaid marker as a bus prize at an AIS convention.

do mean that paw paws fall apart?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

My Pawpaws have not fallen apart after eight years. Although I must say we cetainly garden under differnet conditions, and that may make a difference.

not really. these labels will be going in MI.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Then I would really suggest them. I have a nursery and have thousands of the suckers, and none are unreadable. Except the ones my husband mangled with the lawn mower, LOL. Learn to put them back far enough the mower can't reach.

I have the p touch 1950. I notice there are a couple on ebay right now. I've also found some cheap tape for it on ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZpQ20touchQ201950QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

thanks. the paw paws are priced really nicely. Im either going to use the ptouch or gonna get gardenfonts. we will see. perhaps both.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Depends on how many you are going to do. If you're planning in excess of 50 or so, I say buy the p-touch. You'll be surprised how often and for what you will use it, especially if you have small children or grandchildren. My granchildren can find more things to label. And we got a bunch of orange labels from ebay really cheap, just for them to play with.

I expect the gardenfonts are made with a p-touch, from the looks of them. Always use the TZ tape, it's made for outdoors. And I use the black on clear.

Pawpaw is wonderful. They don't charge shipping, and they send your items in just days, even before they deposit the checks. I think it's just a small family owned business still.

I didnt realize that the ptouch made labels like that. I was thinking it was more like those skinny little plastic strips. Cant remember what that labeler was called. Guess i should start looking around for a ptouch.

Thanks.

which p-touch do you all use? Im looking at amazon and they have a lot of them.

South Hamilton, MA

Since we grow seedlings, we need lots of labels, they do get stepped on when weeding, but the metal seems to bend rather than break like plastic. With our snow some people are having rodent problems underneath it. I just cross my finger & pretend they don't exist at the moment.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I use ptouch 1950, but we have a new one 2700 that does the same. The 1950 might be discontinued, but they have some on ebay.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I just bought the 2700 from Amazon. Check for a while before buying. The prices change every few days. I finally bought a new one for $39.95.

Offiice Max had the 3/4 " outdoor tape (TZS241) for $3.49.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I just map everything on sheets of paper for each bed. Cheap, effective, no junk in the bed and lasts a lifetime, maybe two!

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I have the P-Touch and use the outdoor labeling tape on Zinc plant tags, works like a charm here and after 55 inches of rain, they are still on.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

I wrote info three times this summer on my tags because I could no longer get the paint pens and everthing faded. That was before dealing with several feet of snow so in cold Oct weather with frosts affecting the ground and very cold tags to peel labels off, I replaced close to 1,000 labels when I invested in a Brother ptouch that takes laminated tape 1/2" and 3/4" sizes.

Should last up to seven years. The members of the Maine Iris Society like Ted White have been using the labels at least that long and Ted very kindly got me the info he had for I was not a member back when they did a letter on the topic for the members.

I bought the wrong kind of machine at first before Ted did this. My first machine was not a laminated tape taking type. My hubby wanted to surprise me and so got the wrong model from the Staples guy so before we both found out I had labeled my garden with the tape from it and they faded.

That was why I labeled things three times this year. All faded before fall. I am very grateful that Ted straightened me out and I got the things labeled before the snow hit. I got a $49.00 one for $14.00 for a promotion was going on for the new modeland it had a rebate. After spending $29.99 on the wrong type not incuding the tape that faded, that was a wonderful thing to have happen.

I use both clear and white tape but it can do several colors and fancy borders and such if I want it to. My stainless steel and zinc labels are done for the irises unless I buy new ones but next summer I must tackle the daylily labels. I will have many seedlings to label. I did plant a few iris seeds this year and hope something germinates.

Julianna

Davenport, WA

On a separate email list, the subject of labels in iris gardens has also come up.

Here is one recent posting. Have any of you tried the Avery labels?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Subject: [iris] Re: Plastic labels

I've been using Avery labels 5520 for about six years and place the labls on Eon Industries metal holders. I print using a laser printer as the heat from the laser sets the ink into the plastic labels. I also use an Ichida black paint marker for quick labeling. Both the paint pen and the laser ink stand very well lasting upwards of four years. The label shown was prepared mid 2005.

Weather is average, not much snow ..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

From this person's location I would guess that the area receives a lot of rain.

I like the idea of being able to use my own fonts and Avery labels. Have any of you tried the Avery waterproof labels that are mentioned above? Six years is a goodly length of time.

ok. i am very greatful for all the imput. this is what im gonna do. Im buying the paw paw markers and getting the p-touch labeler with the weather proof tape. Bingo. im so excited to get labeling.

thanks again all.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Do consider clear coating them, though. It's a simple spray from a can, and you can do them all at once.

thanks, will do.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Polly-

Do you clear coat the Brother labels before putting them on the PawPaw tags or after? I don't see how the coating keeps the printing from fading or does the coating make the label itself last longer?

I'm in the process of making almost 800 labels for my iris and certainly don't want to have to do this very often........

Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.