WHO WANTS TO PLAY "MYSTERY 'MATERS?"

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Ok. Last season I was soooooooooooooooo diligent about saving and fermenting tomato seeds from all the favorites I was growing. The good news is that I have 12 paper towels each FULL of an individual variety of Heirloom tomato. The bad news is that none of the paper towels is labeled -- hence, the "mystery." I can pinpoint the variety it MIGHT be, since I was only growing a few different varieties. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, once you grow 'em we can identify 'em.

If you would like to play "Mystery 'Mater," just let me know and I'll cut you off a piece of paper towel and you can grow the seeds. Then you can let us know what it was!

The varieties I was growing were:
Black Krim
Pruden's Purple
Eva Purple Ball
Cherokee Purple
Brandy Sudduth
Arkansas Traveler
Wapsipinicon Peach

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'd start over.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2009 2:45 PM

Feldon, Feldon, Feldon....
Where's your gaming spirit?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The same place I keep my collection of Sharpie markers. ;)

Reno, NV

If I had the space I'd take you up on it:). Lol. That sounds just like me, I saved seed from lettuce this year. Just happily went out and cut off the seed heads to sort, I sort of forgot that I had bib and romain and you can't tell the seeds apart. Oh well. It's my very own lettuce mix:)

Duchessdreams,
Send me some lettuce seeds. I'll play mystery lettuce with you! See my addy in the file (I think it's there). If not, send me a d-mail and I'll post my addy.

Linda

Gymgirl~ I'll play "mystery maters" with you. if you're interested in some mystery carrot seeds that were given to me last year. ;0)

Garden6,
So you want me to send you some "Mystery mater" seeds, right? Send your addy in a dmail. I'll take some "Mystery carrot" seeds. I'll post my addy in a dmail. Thanks!

Reno, NV

W00T! I think I may have mastered the addresses. Lol. I have your address and will be happy to send some mystery lettuce:).

Great deal! I'll send the mystery carrot seeds tomorrow! I'm in the addy, thanks for letting me play! ;0)

Garden6,
Found your addy, too. I'll post some "Mystery 'Maters" tomorrow! ooooooooooooh,
the carrot seeds are right on time for planting out in my area. I currently have some Half-Short Nantes growing in a small bed, and I'll be soooooooooo excited when I pull up my very first carrot!

Sounds great! I'm growing carrots for the first time this year, and likewise I'm looking forward to tasty, straight carrots!

G6,
Just a quickie to LYK I received the carrot seeds. I'll post the "mystery Maters" tomorrow. Thanks!

Linda

Linda~ great... I look forward to growing the "mystery Maters!"

Linda~ sent you d-mail several days ago...... are the mystery maters on their way?

Oh, G6 FORGIVE ME PLEASE. I'll post them this evening and they'll be in the mail tomorrow. Will first class get them there faster, you think? LMK and I'll do 1st class.

Linda

Thanks and no problem Linda..just looking forward to growing the "mystery maters"!

Saint Paul, MN

Gymgirl- I don't have any seeds to trade but I would be happy to try growing a few mystery maters. Let me know if you're willing to send some and I will give you my address.

TMAPLE,

You're in luck. I brought quite a few to send off today to Garden6, and there's more than enough to go around. I just sent you a d-mail. Post your addy there and I'll post some "mystery maters" to you, too.

Gymgirl~ are those "mystery maters" walking across the prairie? ;0)

I posted them Saturday morning. They should be to California by now! I'm praying that I put enough postage on them and they're not on the way back to me!

I'm also praying that the package I sent will make up for the delay.

Gymgirl~ you know what I do understand aboutmail snafus as that has happened to me on more than one occassion... once the postman made a mistake about the postage but made it right. Anyway, I hope those" mystery maters" are enjoying a sunny visit to California! LOL! Just got a gardening itch as the weather here is unseasonably warm and inviting! I'm sure the maters will be happy here on the prairie!

Garden 6
When do you usually sow seeds for tomatoes in Lansing, Ks?

Here's what's going on in my Fall/Winter garden. Don't let the pics fool you. I only have 9 EBs, 9 eBuckets, eight 24" planters, two 14" planters, and the trellis bed, which is
4-1/2' wide x 5' long. Oh, and two small raised beds 3.5' x 4' (the beet beds!). Mine is a VERY small operation -- the pics are just a relative sampling of the few things growing there.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl~Very nice garden! I like to start my tomatoes indoors in the sunroom, as I grow them in containers..I just have not had any luck growing them otherwise, no matter where we lived. Except once, and that was due to me being adopted by a master gardener. It was really mutually beneficial, she wanted the cherries and berries growing in our yard so....she helped me grow a luscious vegetable and flower garden.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I would love to play Mystery Mater!!

This will be my first year for an expandedl veggie garden and I will get some plants but would love to try some Heirlooms from seed too.

Should I Dmail you my addy?

Nanny_56,
Go ahead and dmail your addy. Do you still have time to germinate seeds in your area?

Lots of time here. Last frost is typically around May 20th. I think too many people are using those new zone maps that are not accurate and think they got bumped up a zone.

Saint Paul, MN

nanny_56-- You get frost that late in IN?? Half my family lives in IN, Logansport, Kokomo, and Indianapolis mostly. I am weak on IN geography but I think Putnam County is about in the middle of the state, right? I would have never guessed it would frost in late May in IN.

Yes we can. That said, it doesn't always happen. Putnam county is west of Hendricks County. I am from Indianapolis and lived in Boone County for over 20 yrs. Most of Indiana is Zone 5.

Same here .. being zone 5, our last frost date is May 20th, hence the container tomatoes for me. I've got to have a real home grown tomato before June, after being deprived over the winter. Of course...I also start some of my tomatoes for a later harvest as well. One friend plants her tomatoes out in late April and uses cloches for cold or frost nights.

The very southern part of Indiana is Zone 6a and I am actually only about an hour from the"line" but still zone 5b but i can push some things here!

Gymgirl~ WOOOOHOOO! The mystery maters and their friends arrived this afternoon. Linda , you more than outdid yourself and you were very generous! Thanks a million for the 6 packs of heirloom seeds....I'm looking forward to growing them and will report on the 2 "mystery maters" Did you want any other of my seeds for companion planting perhaps..such as marigolds or nasurtiums. Tomorrow, I will start some of these mater babies...I am so looking forward to some delicious tomatoes!! ;0)

Garden6,
I'm just happy that YOU'RE happy...sorry for the delay.

No problem! I am happy and I'm just antsy to grow some delicious maters! ;0)

Saint Paul, MN

We got dumped on with snow yesterday, about 6" where I live. Makes gardening season seem that much farther away.

TMaple and Nanny_56,
I'll post your "mystery mater" seeds tomorrow.

Leander, TX

Wow Gymgirl,

I'm new to gardening, but have a burning desire to grow tomatoes! I didn't have great success last year, but it was so danged hot in Texas at the time. Is it possible for me to get a few seeds from you as well? I don't have any exotic tomato varieties to offer in return; I do have nasturtium and pot marigold seeds. I'm working on making an herb/tea garden, so I've got a variety of seeds for that purpose. Please feel free to let me know if any of that interests you.

Oh wow! Just looked at your trade list. I actually have seeds for a short carrot. The Parisian carrot to be exact. Would you like some?

Opaquedream,
I'll add you to the list. Send your addy in a d-mail. And, if you don't mind I would like to try your carrot variety. Would you please send me some seeds to sow, and some marigolds, too?

Garden6,
If your offer is still open, I would like some of your marigold seeds, too. After careful thought regarding my Spring/Summer garden, I have decided I like the Fall garden the best. To that end, I'm only concentrating on my tomatoes right now. When it gets hot enough, I'll sow okra, cowpeas, and the watermelon. I'm not up to fighting the heat and the mosquitoes (which wreak havoc on my allergic reaction to them).

So, I've decided to use this time to clean up all my areas while my maters are growing. Since we have soooooooooo much greenery in the yard and no color, I'll sow your seeds for the marigolds and cover the planters over with cellaphane. I'll turn 'em into mini-greenhouses, and they should take off faster than last time. I've learned it's better for me to direct sow and then thin, so that's my plan for color on the patio, and strategically placed in the existing greenery.

Your seeds will be that color! And, I'll be sure to post before and after pics so you can see your plants from afar!

Thanks in advance.

Linda

The mariglds are yours...I have several different colors that should bloom beautifully in your gardens. I will mail them out by Monday.

The marigolds are in the mail box and will fly across the prairie tomorrow to you...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.