Cut up my debit card please!

North Lakewood, WA(Zone 8b)

It's just my usual spring routine unfortunately.............. I have been to Chileflora, Summerhill, Seedhunt, Silverhill, Pepper Joes, JL Hudson and more! I have now ordered more seeds than I can possibly start in the next thirty years. I need someone to put a seed site monitor/blocker on my computer like they do for the kids.
I can hardly wait for spring. My crisper drawers in the fridge are full of winter sow seeds in their coffee filters and baggies.
I'm ready to kick up the heat in the greenhouse and start spring sows soon. If anyone wants to transplant for plants I'll be glad to have you in a couple months.
I'm planning on re-doing my front border this year, I'll be needing advice soon too. I'm terrible at planning.
So is anyone else ready for the twelve step seed program?

Thumbnail by thistledownfarm
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

ROFLMAO.

And I still have the leftover seeds you brought to the Green Elephant in the fall!!

I'd love to come transplant - count me in.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

TDF, it's easy to get carried away, just ask me. at least your using a Debit Card. a lot of people get in the habit of charging. I always do cash or debit card. I can't spend what I don't have. things are a little tight this year with our mutual funds taking a dive. but I'll find a way to get what I want. I'm germinating Hosta seeds all winter. so that keeps me busy. the only things I have to buy are maybe a Hosta to add to my hybrid program. and then vegetable seeds, and some flower seed. but that can add up quick. good luck with your 09 garden. Jim

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Thistle, I hear ya! I just received seeds from the Piggy Swap, and I now have more seeds than I know what to do with. I was planning to wintersow, but wasn't sure about when to do it here in the NW (first time for me anyway). Most of the people involved with the swap are from the east coast and midwest. You caught my attention when you said winter sow with coffee filters and baggies. Just how do you wintersow? I would love to hear from you!

I have such a big variety and amount of seeds, if any of you would like some, I will be happy to share. Also, I got extras for the storm victims in our area, so if you know anyone who could benefit, please let me know.

I am so excited about my EZ Cloner. It has been less than 2 weeks, and I have lots of beautiful roots on most of the cuttings. So, if anyone wants rooted cuttings, let me know. This is so much fun, I cannot stop myself.

The way I winter sow is to dampen a coffee filter, wring it out, sprinkle seeds on it and fold it up with a plant tag in one of the folds, then stick them in a baggy with a small amount of air to cushion them. I usually put four or five in a baggy. They go in my crisper for 6-8 weeks and then I pull them out and sow them in soil. Some will sprout while in the fridge so check frequently. Don't write on the coffee filter, sometimes it will bleed or fade and you'll have a difficult time figuring out what you've got. Guess how I know.............?

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I've never done any winter sowing, but would like to learn how. Up to now, i've been mostly a
sow-it-straight-in-the-ground kind of a gal. I would also like to learn more about propagating cuttings. I have tried doing it in potting mix in the Spring with a little rooting solution dip for the cutting, but had only limited success.
Lynn, tell me more about your EZ Cloner. I need something easy.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I bought it used off Craig's List. It will hold 120 cuttings at once. I have hydrangeas, petunias, Pineapple Sage, lavender, Red Twig Dogwood, rosemary, pieris in it right now. Almost everything started to show roots in about 4-5 days. The petunias and Pineapple Sages are probably ready to plant now. I bought some Biogel Cloning gel and dipped the cuttings in it, and popped them in the little slits in the neoprene disks. The cuttings are bathed in the warm water spray (75 degrees). I bought a cloning solution at the Hydroponics store and put a bit of that in the water, and I spray the top part of the cuttings (the leafy part) with the solution every day. I also put a 7" plastic dome over the cuttings to keep them nice and humidified. I don't know if the dome and the extra spraying are overkill or not, but as long as it is working, I am happy. I, too, was having limited success with cuttings in seed starting mix, never tried the sand. I have a bad tendency to over water, so that was sure death to the little starts, besides being a good breeding ground for the fungus gnats.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I'll have to find the thread (I think it was in the propagation forum). Last year someone made her own cloning machine with bits and pieces from Target and eBay. And I think the cost was under $40.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

This isn't the thread I was thinking of, but this has written directions on making your own.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/498781/

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I was going to try to make my own, but when I saw this one on CL (used), I took the easy route.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh yes. Getting it used is the best option, imo. I'm inspired by your success - I've been meaning to work more diligently on propagating some of the shrubs I have here.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I can meet you somewhere, get your cuttings, take them home and put them in my cloner for you. I can give you some of my starts also.
It has been so much fun and is so easy. Today I trimmed a Petunia a bit, and just popped the cutting in the cloner instead of tossing it into the compost bin. I can't wait to see how quickly it roots.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

You're so generous. I was actually going to tease you by saying the same thing.

I have lots of shrubs - and with cuttings we could make enough to share around. That would be fun.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

That would be so cool!!! What shrubs do you have? You can take a look at my journal and see if there is anything of mine that you would like cuttings of.
I am not working, so I can meet up with you pretty much anytime and anywhere.

Okay, now I found this thread so let the trouble begin. Thistle, I would love to come up and help you pot. I could bring all my seedlings, too, and share some with you if there are things you are interested in. Maybe a potting 'party'?

I have to go back and look at the link posted for making a propogation unit. Until now, I have been using my bog filter attached to the pond. It works really well for the most part. Kathy, you know I have about a zillion kinds of hydrangeas, all of which can be propogated. Plus I have a lot of other shrubs and woody plants. What will we do with all of these plants???

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Put them in the ground! Sorry couldn't help myself :0)

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

I liked Rach response - just absolutely chuckling. Boy, just mention making plants and we are all there salivating - pant pant pant. More plants please!!

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

We are like a bunch of teenagers, thinking about something else..... But in our case it's green and leafy!

I know soferdig does not understand this. He is a man. This is why. We are women. Propogating, however we choose to do it, is in our nature. But sometimes I feel like 'The old woman who lived in a shoe and had so many children, she didn't know what to do'. I look around and say 'what am I going to do with all of these'???? Put them in the ground, indeed, Rachel. Really??????? :)

We can have a potting and swapping party here in the spring. Just remember though that I need to keep enough for my Sorticulture booth. That's the way I pay for my seed addiction and propane to heat my greenhouse.

Maybe we can donate to your Sorticulture booth. I know I'm trying to be better at planting fewer individual seeds of the varieties I'm planting, but I am on my second flat of germination now and things are looking good. I'll probably be potting some things up in less than two weeks. I've already potted the first flat up and they are growing on in the greenhouse. I will bring my extras to the potting event if you have one for sure. Also, If you have something I really want, I am completely NOT averse to buying it from you, considering that you do this as a way to keep your addiction paid for.
I ordered from JL Hudson before Christmas, from Seedhunt this week, and now have to thin my list from Chiltern's. I haven't even visited Chile plants yet. I am afraid to. The problem with looking at seeds is that one website leads to another, and then off I go.
Hey, I thought this thread was for a 12 step program. What are we? a bunch of enablers???

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Hate to say this, but have you thought about selling them. Home nursery adds funds to, Get More LOL

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Starting tomorrow I will be prepping and planting flats in the greenhouse and planting my winter sowing containers. By mid-april I will be up to my a** in plants! I would love to participate in a trade/swap/repotting party!

Pix,
I think it's time you take over and rip out more of the lawn, you absolutely need more flowerbeds! Now if we could just find a free or very low cost source for fantastic loamy topsoil, in my dreams I guess!

Kingston, WA

Boy thistledown you sound like me I have done Chile flora, plant world, ole seeds of australia. I have chilters and jlhudson still in the fridge I do mostly the same as you I have smoke and gibberic acid on some as well. I just love doing it. I start mine in the basement with heat mats and some outside then I bring them in. Very fun Keeps us out of trouble...

The trouble starts when I have 500 seedlings! That's when the trouble starts! I have GA-3 already mixed up in little bottles under the sink, and liquid smoke on hand. I even did an excel spreadsheet this year! It's a sickness. At least you two have the excuse that you sell them to others. No, tills, I haven't even considered it because I just don't have the energy to put into that. I'd rather give them away. I kill a good number of them anyhow.
I have avoided chileflora this year, so far. But you had to bring it up, didn't you, heidi?
My germination station is a small bathroom with heat lamps. It's so nice and warm in there! I have a ton of germination going on. It even smells good.

Rachel, I'm way ahead of you. I already thought of that. But I have other projects that need doing first. Then we shall see. I already can't keep up. Yeah, dream on about inexpensive, good soil.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Heidi, I'll have to check out those seedlings when I visit. I just don't have enough time and space to germinate other seeds. I'm knee deep in hybrid hosta seedlings that I'm growing all winter. Jim

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Just received Digging Dog Nursery's catalogue. Thank God there are no photographs!
It's so much to ignore the drawings, but I'd have to stop reading, too.

Oh Katye, that's what Google is for! Then you can get sucked into the black hole of plant research along with the rest of us. How do you think I end up with 200 seed packets? It's those darn catalogs with no photos and such interesting descriptions.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

sucked into the vortex long ago...seed catalog descriptions sing the sirens' song much like the ice cream in the frozen food aisle. An aisle i no longer visit.
But catalogs are delivered to me for my reading pleasure. Inside of which are descriptions that incite primal emotions, reducing me to a blubbering fool. To remedy this, I concoct various scientific experiments, in order to asuage my guilt & lead me to more things green & growing.
6 weeks more of this? Thankfully, I am not in single digit temps with 3' of snow...

It's a long, long time until spring, isn't it Kayte? I believe we go through this every year. And it's never really any better or easier. But I do love my time in the tub with the catalogs! I join you in the vortex!

Cut up my debit card please! I finally cut my Chiltern's list down to the absolute essentials:
Acnistus australis Blue
39Q £2.79 2 £5.58 £0.00
Pulsatilla slavica
1072G £2.89 1 £2.89 £0.00
Sisyrinchium palmifolium
1177W £3.05 1 £3.05 £0.00
Eryngium proteiflorum
525T £3.19 1 £3.19 £0.00
Fritillaria hermonis amana
600J £2.67 1 £2.67 £0.00
Primula waltonii
1047R £3.08 1 £3.08 £0.00
Allium wallichii Black Form
77G £2.74 1 £2.74 £0.00
Primula flaccida
1039Q £2.98 1 £2.98 £0.00
Fritillaria affinis tristulis
599C £2.65 1 £2.65 £0.00
Meconopsis paniculata
853 £2.96 1 £2.96 £0.00
Primula parryi
1043L £2.45 1 £2.45 £0.00
Fritillaria acmopetala
599B £2.24 1 £2.24 £0.00
Helleborus 'Helen Ballard' Hybrids
682J £4.50 1 £4.50 £0.00
Primula secundiflora
1045E £2.77 1 £2.77 £0.00
Ramonda myconi
1084A £2.90 1 £2.90 £0.00
Anthriscus sylvestris 'Raven's Wing'
107T £2.48 1 £2.48 £0.00
Tellima grandiflora var. purpurea
1234F £2.02 1 £2.02 £0.00
Papaver somniferum ‘Queen’s Poppy’
953F £1.96 1 £1.96 £0.00
Uncinia egmontiana
1266C £2.40 1 £2.40 £0.00
Aquilegia yabeana
115R £2.52 1 £2.52 £0.00

This message was edited Jan 30, 2009 9:30 PM

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Essentials, eh Pix? Your list looks wonderful :0)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Question - I have seeds from me leycesteria formosa and I want to start them this spring. Where do I look to find out what the seeds need to experience before they germinate?

Don't even go to Chileflora Pix! I'm warning you now............
Next year we should compare our over inflated seed lists. We could each do part and share. We might both save a few bucks.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

One thing we could do is to establish who likes to grow what, and share seeds that way. This would make a packet of seeds much more reasonable - I don't need 1000 or even 100 of any seed. I harvest seed from my crops, but like to try new things, too.

Also - who grows what well. I like the sharing aspect of this - we don't all have equipment or a special set-up for germination/cuttings, etc. But I know what I can germinate & grow on well, with what I have. I am happy to grow extras for trading/sharing.
I believe the transporting & trading of plant babies is something that we've been successful with, in the past, and I don't see this being a huge issue.
What remains is how to make the weather co-operate with us!

I like the idea of sharing seeds and seedlings. But I worry about feeling responsible for making sure baby plants grow for other people. I never plant an entire package of anything, at least almost never. As long as I don't feel like your business would suffer if I screw it up, Thistle, I would be happy to combine resources with everyone. But now you have thrown down the gauntlet in terms of visiting chileflora.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Some seeds store well - others don't, which is why I try not to hang onto seed for too long. I have lots of space in my veg garden to try different varieties of the same crops. When I pass seedlings on to others, I also pass the responsibility of ensuring their needs are met. But I must admit that i think about it.
I tend to look at this from the perspective of gaining knowledge: how the same plants fare in different areas & under different conditions. The anecdotal evidence gives me a broader perspective to the plant, and helps me understand how I can improve my practices to ensure the health & vigor of the plant in question.
Sharing can also provide the impetus for someone to grow something that they would not have tried otherwise. Some gardeners I have met over the years have been hesitant to venture out into new territory with what they grow. (Pix - you are NOT in this category, and most likely never were...)
Beans, as an example: so MANY to choose from, but understanding that many have limited space. So, to them it's been, "here, try a 1/2 dozen & see what you think."
This holds true for annuals, too. Many gardeners do not realize what all lies beyond the cover to the catalogs, and when they do look, the choices can be overwhelming, and still is for me after all these years. I think there is a tendency to grow what is "safe" - and that's fine, but as you all know, there is a fascination & satisfaction of growing something different. Plus the connection made between the gardener & the plant, when grown from seed/cutting. Knowledge of germination requirements is readily available; perhaps it comes down to curiousity & the willingness to step outside the box. these years I spend much time "outside the box", because I am getting older & the years, fewer. I recognize I cannot grow everything, but I don't want to purposely miss out on the joy of trying something new.
chilefora - oh geeeeeez: bind my hands & hide the cc...

Kayte, you said it all and more! I couldn't live in a box if I had to. All my life I've considered it was important to know what the rules are so you can break them more easily and deliberately. That's why I continue to grow these zone denial plants, even though it is simply ridiculous sometimes. I never seem to want to do things the 'regular' or easy way. And the world of plants is just so much bigger than it has been before thanks to brilliant people like Dan Hinkley and many others who spend their lives scouting out the unusual and different. Not that I wouldn't change places with any of them real fast! I love to try different kinds of annuals. Its something you get to do every year and still try something new!!
I got seeds from Ptilotus 'Joey' in the mail today. I hope I can do right by them!!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

oh that's very nice. 4" spikes - looks fluffy!

Kingston, WA

I start chile flora seeds 2 months ago. i did cold stratisfication for 2 months then heat mat low for about 3 weeks and nothing has sprouted. Some of my plant world has already sprouted. I also have stuff sprouting from ole seeds. They are from Australia. I hope I can get some of them to sprout. One caution about chilters they don't fill out a pysosanitary form and sometimes seeds can get confiscated at the bordered. I had almost 400 dollars takemn in san fransisco port and they destroy them immediatly and send you a letter saying what happens with no form. I contacted chilters and they said that is the chance we take and Americans have stupid laws basically. I called the port and they told me done too bad. I have tried to get a permit to import small seed lots and I am having trouble dealing with the government and gave up. Too bad because I found a great seed source in New Zealand that reqires this form. Karen platt has a great book called the seed search. Helps you find anyseed. Very adicting. Heidi

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I first saw Paris polyphylla at Hwood last summer and I want it. The Hwood catalogue has it for $36 for a 4" pot. Eeek!!!

Has anybody had any success starting this from seed?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.