Tropical Herbs and Spice!

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Dave, This article is a bit old but I thought you might enjoy it. Lots of Cacao and Teak replacing sugarcane in this area. Ann
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/6223.html

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes, Québec is the only province in Canada where you can purchase pure alcohol. Spirits like gin, vodka, rhum, cognac, etc. are available throughout Canada but if you are looking for pure unadulterated alcohol, Québec is the only place where you'll find it.

Sylvain.

San Andres, Peten, Guatemala

Co-operatives are now, more or less, the only way to go for the workers to survive.. All the common vegetables up to more exotic products are now produced by co-ops. Many of ours are started with outside help(seed money).

The various cacaos and coffees (arabica and robusta) all trade internationally at similar prices, on average about $1.30 a pound. The farmer gets a lot more coffee for his investment than he would with cacao and the drying process is simpler, but at 10 cents a pound he is not going to get rich quick.
A cottage industry making chocolate sounds a wonderful idea. A large part of our population relies on micro businesses to put food in the pot.
I worked for Nestle, most of my life in different locations and have seen the chocolate conches at work. A long slow process without any chance of modernisation. Not at all like Willy Wonka's place. Some of the overhead belt driven machinery I saw was probably made during the reign of Queen Victoria.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

All over Australian agriculture "Value Adding" is the big thing. From wool sweaters that are produced on the farm, tropical wineries that use fruit seconds and do tastings for tourists to our Biodynamic milk/cheese/yogurt producers that have gotten huge.

Ann

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

When possible, we try to support the farmer and anyone else that is growing/making the product themselves. If we knew where to start we would purchase Kona coffee. Can anyone give us a clue. Now I am speaking of a coop or such...not a major company.

PK

Keaau, HI

Doesn't Mlassi grow gormet coffee?

Hawai'i Coffee Connection, LLC
P.O. Box 1767
Kealakekua, HI 96750

808-322-1895 owner Laurie Llanes

www.Hawaii-Coffee-Connection.com

Keaau, HI

I looked up the above website and found they are a bit high priced.

If you google Hawaiian Coffee, you will find a large selection with many private companies / growers.

Keaau, HI

Hey Carol, I haven't looked much into selling cacao yet as I am just now starting to get consistent production.
I use most of what I get, and am trying to figure out a good recipe and process for making homemade chocolate.
I like the idea of using fruit to sweeten the chocolate with; it would be good if I could come up with a chocolate treat that is not bad for diabetics.

Oh, I do so love this thread. Thanks to all its contributors. Malama you all!

We found Kona coffee on Oahu when we went to the Costco in Honolulu. You entered the warehouse and this aroma of roasting coffee just assailed your nostrils. There was a guy in there who roasted Kona coffee right in the warehouse, cooled it down, packaged it and sold it just as fast as he could. We bought about 15 bags of coffee. Compared to the $25.00/lb they charge here for Kona coffee, it was worth buying an extra suitcase to bring it back home. Luckily, our luggage came from Costco so the new one matched the set.

Metrosideros, there is such a thing as diabetic chocolate. That's the ones that dietitians (food terrorists with a diploma) do not tell you about: the ones that contain 85% cocoa or more all have so little sugar as to be almost diabetic friendly. It's a manageable risk when used in moderation. The trick is in reading the nutrition facts pannel closely.
<
Gail and I also try to encourage the producer whenever we can. When we lived in Canada, the government of the province of Québec announced its misguided intention to stop the importation of unpasteurized cheese. What were they thinking about? The finest european cheeses are not pasteurized or made from pasteurized milk. Petitions circulated, people got quite huffy about the whole thing.

Upon scrutinizing the proposed law closely, many people realized it didn't mention locally-produced unpasteurized cheeses. A plethora of high-end locally-produced cheeses started appearing on the market to everyone's great delight. Realizing their foolishness, the government backed away from its plans. Quebecers now have quite an array of fine cheeses to choose from.

Take care, all.
Pu'Ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Can you recommend the cheeses and where to purchase? I could live on cheese alone. Come from a line of dairy farmers, both cow and goat, and they could some of the best cheeses ever. When I was child my mother belonged to "Cheese of the month Club" and taught me there was more than Velveta (cheese?) and cheddar. Here I go again, OT. Sorry.

Christi aka Princess Kilikina

Those cheeses are only marketed in Québec. They come from cottage industries, micro-producers or just a bit larger than that. Tdon't seem to feel the need to go outside the country to market their products.

I imagine they couldn't keep up with the demand if they were to market in other countries, such as the US; not that we couldn't use a wider selection of fine imported cheeses, you understand.

My favorite cheeses to buy here come from Costco, who is slowly expanding its fine cheese selection and taming the public into:
a) trying them; and
b) purchasing them (if they don't faint).

Always in stock in our refrigerator: Parmegiano Reggiano, Swiss, Dubliner, a chunk of aged cheddar, some american slices and some kind of blue cheese. Beyond that is a case of seasonal availability at Costco's. We enjoyed a great Stilton around Christmas. It varies, kind of like the Cheese Of The Month club.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

What? No Dutch cheese?!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH...this area is a wasteland for good cheeses...unless you have recently robbed a bank!! Costco is a 2 or 3 hour drive which I do maybe once a year... sigh..... Going to the Pacific NW on Wednesday and hope to gorge on some good Cambozola, some good cheddar (Loires...do you know about the Western Washington White Cheddar/) and...well...a lot of really smelly ones!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hetty...this is a cute little "dutch cheese" story. I have a dutch friend - Gerhard - whom I met in Saudi Arabia. His last name is Tip, and the Saudi's refer to garbage dumps as "tips" so they thought his paperwork was wrong and put his name down as Herr Nederlander. We would go shopping together, and he had me using the correct pronounciation of the cheeses, instead of the English versions. We were at the cheese counter and I had ordered some "howda" said all gurgly on the "how" part just as he instructed. The cheeseman at the counter knew us so called back "Howdy to you as well Herr Nederlander, Ms. Shari. What can I get you today?" We started laughing, it grew and, naturally being contagious, those around us were laughing...no one spoke the same language, but we just kept laughing. When someone tried to find out what was funny, we would peal off in new fits of hilarity. Finally we caught our breath, and ordered our cheese. He was out, and we ended up with Havarti. That got us started again. It was a fun day at the market that I will never forget.

Yokwe,
Shari

Langkawi Island, Malaysia

Herbal Leaf Plant Identification. What is it? Can anyone help identify this tall leafy herbal plant. Any information on this plant would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Dr Hugo

Thumbnail by drhugo

Shari that is a funny story and I can just imagine the scene.
But to end up with Danish cheese when you wanted Dutch - oh the horror!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Having heard your laugh in person not surprised at others joining in....definitely contagious.
When this darlin' lady smiles, her entire face smiles.

Think I might to go to Costco in a bit. Getting really hungry for cheese.

Christi

Keaau, HI

Hi Dr Hugo, are there any flowers, fruit or seed-pods to show of your plant?

Hello Metrosideros,
Thank you for your reply. The only photo I have right now is the one (slightly out of focus) of the white flower buds. In fact, I have never seen the flowers bloom and am wondering if most of the plants are male and only the female one has flowers?? Or the other way round?? I am keeping watch on it and the moment the flowers develop fully I will post up the picture for you. The plant, claimed by many to have incredible antioxidant and healing properties is known locally only as the "South African herbal leaf plant." Any identification information you may be able to find and share would be greatly appreciated. Cheers! Dr Hugo

Thumbnail by drhugo
Keaau, HI

Thanks Dr Hugo, it will be important to see the mature flowers.

From what I can see, the plant has paired flowers (is this true?). If so it may be in the Apocynaceae Family.
Does the plant have milky sap? Does it have star shaped funnel-like flowers? Can you describe the fruit?

The plant looks similar to a Tabernanthe. Maybe, Tabernanthe iboga, the African Iboga plant. It is very medicinal, and also potentially toxic. It is known to cure drug addicts, but has also killed people!

Please be careful to identify any plant which you plan to put in your body!

Aloha, Dave

Hi Metrosideros,
Thanks for your reply and warning although I am sure it is not toxic as many people have been taking this leaf as a medicinal herb for many years and nobody has ever died! They claim only that they have been healed! No, it also has no milky sap or any noticeable sap when we cut it for stem cuttings. It has no fruit. The flowers do not seem as if they are paired but single, but most of the plants we have and see growing around the island have no flowers, only leaves. Only one of my plant's flower buds are a little bigger today and look as if they might bloom over the next few days so I will make sure to take pictures and send them to you. So at this stage I can not really say or not whether the flowers are "star shaped funnel-like flowers." Thanks for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you again if you find any new information. Cheers! Dr Hugo

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Dr. Hugo... someone closer to you, in Kota Kinabalu is an interesting fellow AND botanist: Tony Lamb. I can't find his card, but he works closely with Borneo Books who would know how to contact him. Tony built the Gardens in Tenom and has recently written a book on Hoyas (and has written books on Vireyas and other genera). You might contact him... I will try to get more contact information for you.....

Carol

Hello Carol,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, if you can find his email, maybe I can contact him to help find out the identity of this amazing plant. One of mine is about to flower for the first time so I will post the photo of it when it fully blooms in the next few days hopefully. I will also try and track down Borneo Books to find Tony Lamb.
Cheers! Dr Hugo

Atenas, Costa Rica

Hola drhugo , how about some odor when you crushed the leaves of this plant.

Atenas, Costa Rica

Hola drhugo
I think in this link http://happyhomemaker88.wordpress.com/2008/08/02/quest-for-a-healthier-life/ is shown some info about this incognit plant.
Checking the common name might help us to identify this plant.

Bignonia, Yes, thank you, this is the one at http://happyhomemaker88.wordpress.com/2008/08/02/quest-for-a-healthier-life/ although we still do not know its scientific name and will keep searching. Here is a photo of the plant's tiny flowers coming out. Cheers! Dr Hugo

Thumbnail by drhugo

Hi Metrosideros & others,
Here is some info on the names and uses of the plant from the above link:
HYPERLINK@happyhomemaker88.wordpress.com]
What my Feng Shui Master (who is also a a healer and good with using local plants for health) taught me was this plant called in Cantonese - “Por See Yip” or “Lam Fei Yip” - in English translation “Persian Leaves” or “South African Leaves”. Well, because it is so excellent in treating many ailments, I have given it a nickname myself - “Magic Plant.”

It really grows easily and its health benefits are :-

1) reducing cholesterol

2) reducing urea acid

3) reducing wind or flatulence

4) balancing blood pressure

5) countering insomnia as it promotes good sleep at night

6) reducing high blood sugar levels

7) reduce fat and helps us to lose weight

8 ) remove other toxins from our body

If you can track down the scientific identity from the names above, let me know please ans thank you all for your efforts. As you see there are many healing characteristics to this humble plant. Cheers! Dr Hugo

Keaau, HI

Thanks for the new photo Dr Hugo. From the flowers it looks like a composite, possibly a Eupatorium or Ageratum.
Keep us posted on the flowers as they mature. Any close-ups of the flowers will help.
The seeds will be very small.

Several Eupatoriums and Ageratums are known to have medicinal qualities.

OK Metrosideros, Yes, the flowers are coming into full bloom today and I will take another photo for you tomorrow. One more Chinese (Cantonese) name for the plant is: "Hark Meen Jeong Kuan." The Chinese Feng Shui masters are familiar with the plant and prescribe it for chewing as well as making tea from many leaves. But nobody seems to know its scientific identity?? It is considered as an amazing cancer fighter by those who know about it (including Chinese doctors) and there are many people who have totally recovered from various forms of cancer claiming that this is the antioxidant plant that did it! Will send more photos for you in the morning. Cheers! Dr Hugo

Keaau, HI

Thanks Dr Hugo; please keep in mind that plants are identified by their key physical characters, rather than by their medicinal qualities.
Close-ups of all parts of the plant will be helpful in determining a species. Flowers, fruit, leaves, stems, growth habit, are all important in separating one species from another.
As this plant has amazing therapeutic promise, it is important to identify it as an individual.

Aloha, Dave

Metrosideros, All points taken, thank you. Please find attached a shot of the flowers coming out as a further physical characteristic of the plant. I will take more photos later as they fully bloom. Cheers!

Thumbnail by drhugo
Keaau, HI

Good photos Dr Hugo!

I've been all over the web, and the only references to this plant that I can find are written by you on other web-sites!
So far Ageratina or Eupatorium are the closest Genera I can think of.

Thanks Metrosideros, Posted the same photo twice, soory, so here are two more later photos attached. It can not be Eupatorium which are non tropical plants, or Ageratum that grows in America (temperate climate) and reaches a height of only 18"! Some of my current plants are over 6 metres tall! I am also planting them alongside the fence as an extra green barrier and thay are all growing very fast. Let's keep on trying to identify it. Let me know if you come up with anything new. Thanks for your support and interest. Perhaps we can find a sponsor to do scientific research and development and who knows, we could launch a real cure for cancer and other life threatening diseases?? Cheers! Dr Hugo

Thumbnail by drhugo

Here's one more photo of the miniature white flowers.

Thumbnail by drhugo
Keaau, HI

Thanks Dr Hugo, I had no idea that it reaches six meters tall! Any information that you can give on it's physical characteristics will be helpful.

Aloha, Dave

Hi Dave,
No odour when crushing the leaves (Bignonia). Once they reach a few metres tall the trunk is quite wooded and strong. The photos I have posted and the ones on the link above (happyhomemakers) show the physical characteristics and I don't know what else I can add. Of over one dozen that I have growing in my tropical garden, only one has the white flowers as shown above. When chopping a mature branch and planting it about one foot deep, it starts to grow within a few days. I have just planted another twenty alongside part of my fence for landscaping effect and added privacy, and of course an unlimited supply of medicinal leaves, not just for ourselves (limit of 2 leaves per day according to traditional Chinese doctors) but for visitors and friends as well.
Can anyone recommend any research service or company that could examine the plant and analyse its special phytochemicals for health benefits?? Cheers! Dr Hugo

I've finally found the local Malay name for the plant: "Sambung Nyawa" which translates as "Life Connection" which in turn probably realtes to its "longevity" benefits. If anyone can find any more info based on this name, then let us all know and I will keep searching too. It is definitely a tropical plant and does not seem to be known outside Malaysia and Singapore, and maybe a few other equatorial places in the region, maybe Indonesia. Cheers! Dr Hugo

Finally found the scientific identity: Gynura procumbens. Look it up and learn about the amazing and wonderful benefits this plant has for our health. Cheers! Dr Hugo

I want one!

Sylvain.

Keaau, HI

Hi Dr Hugo. I can't see that your plant matches Gynura procumbens.

Gynura procumbens is described as a fleshy climber with greenish yellow flowers.
The leaves have more serration than your plant shows and they sometimes are purplish beneath.

Gynura procumbens has many therapeutic properties attributed to it, but the description does not fit your plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.