The "frosty stuff"

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Ok, as per request.... just a fun thread of the photos of "frosty stuff" in the garden. I hope that everyone from anywhere joins in!! I'll kick it off with a photo from a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by redchic01

Ok, so a few more to get it started while i'm getting others together from this morning.

Thumbnail by redchic01

rhody ebony pearl... you'll likely see lots of these.

Thumbnail by redchic01

I love the rainbow of colors in this one.

Thumbnail by redchic01

sticks!!

Thumbnail by redchic01

unthawing heuchera

Thumbnail by redchic01

spiky frost!

Thumbnail by redchic01
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

kerria after ice storm

Thumbnail by wha
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Cool!!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

pmj rodie

Thumbnail by wha

Wow, that poor Rhody!!! Thanks for coming on over Bill!!

So should we make a bit of a game out of it as well? The object being to guess what the cold covered plant is? hmmm.... that could work.

Thumbnail by redchic01
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi shelly - thx for the invite.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Here's a couple shots from today, Shelly, and thanks for inviting us from the NE forums.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

Wow Karen, you weren't kidding! those icicles are cool!

Sure thing! I look forward to seeing more Bill and Karen!

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 12:56 PM

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

And a vertical shot.

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

That cicle looks to be 3' long?!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Glad to hear you guys in the NE are alive and kicking. You've been pretty hardhit by cold temps this last month. I'm surprised that there's enough heat to generate any icicles, Karen. LOL

Welcome over here and great "frosty" pictures. Shelly is our resident photographer "par excellence"!!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Here's mine!

Thumbnail by gardener105

lol, OMG Katie! Thanks but soooo not true. I think some of the others just don't take pictures everywhere that they go! You should go and check out the Northeast thread. I think that they're all born photographers!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

And another.

Thumbnail by gardener105

Yikes Gardner! That's cold. You're still overcast when I have sun??? somethings wrong when that happens.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Another.

Thumbnail by gardener105

You can tell that your house stays warm. That's getting close to what they call hoarfrost isn't it?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I have told so many people that DG is a "hidden" treasure full of extremely talented photographers. The photos on this site are incredible.

That being true, Shelly, I won't let you back out of this compliment. You are an excellent photographer, IMO. Your eye for form, color, shadows, texture is fantastic. And that's not to mention the fact that you are, on a daily basis it seems, out there in the elements with Mother Nature.

So keep clicking away. I really enjoy it.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

The Russian Olive's on the pond island.
Shelly, I KNOW! It's a whopping 27 right now. The sun is finally out though! YEAH!!!!!

Thumbnail by gardener105
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Yes, that is hoarfrost. Here's a close-up on a electric fence insulator and the barbed wire fence. That is sticking out about 2" on each side. It is really jagged looking don't you think.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 1:26 PM

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 1:27 PM

Thumbnail by gardener105
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Here's another pic of the Russian Olive's looking from the house.

Thumbnail by gardener105

Ok, ok, ok, Katie. I'll just say thank you so much as my face is beat red on the "other side" of the computer. What is definitely true is out in the elements most every day, some days I'm surprised that the camera actually works still. And it's very true that there is sooo much hidden talent on DG! I do wish that nonpaying members could looks at some of these threads though. I would love to send the links to some of my friends/family just to check out what goes on in other peoples areas, but it's sort of pointless. Some days I'm surprised that the camera actually works still.

Dang Susan! Look at the spikes of frost/ice there! that's cool and cold at the same time! I know that's where the barbs stick out some, but nothing like the frost does!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

And last but not least a pic of the field elevator just under the elctric fence. As you can see the frost is so heavy it's weigh the fence down and it's just barely touching the red part of the elevator causing it to snap just loud enough for me to hear. I had to lower the elevator just a touch.

Thumbnail by gardener105

Susan, I can tell you for certain where I would be at right now if I were over in Bend right now! Underneath your Russian Olive tree, especially if the sun is out!!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Yes, you're right about the barbs! You might not want to do that now as the frost is falling off the Russian Olive's and it looks like it's snowing under them. You might get a tad wet! LOL

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 1:40 PM

That's true! But, I bet if the sun is shining on it now it would be like looking up into a chandelier!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I agree wholeheartedly, Shelly.

Susan - beautiful pictures. There is something surreal about frost. What is the definition of hoarfrost and what are the conditions required for it? I've read and heard the word for years, but have never really gotten any specifics from anyone who knew what they were talking about . . .

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

This is what it looks like now.

Thumbnail by gardener105

Yep, I gaurantee it. That's where I'd be!! how deep is the pond? I have waders:-p

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

The definition for hoarfrost is just frost. The conditions that cause it are the fog, temp and humidity have to be just right.
I think it produces just as much beauty as a fresh blanket of snow, maybe more.
Here's the top of one of my Cottonwood's with BLUE SKY BEHIND IT!!!

Thumbnail by gardener105
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

At the south end on the other side of the island it's about a ft. On this end it's about 8ft, I don't think waders would do you any good on this end. There's about 2" of ice on it right now, but I wouldn't try to walk across it.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 2:02 PM

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

RC, I knew you could do it, Great tread.
Have to redownload mine, after Lauries scare I down loaded everything but haven't had the time to up load what I want.

Hi all I don't know.

Took this today
Ice on the birdbath.

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Susan, I definitely think that I would go for the shallow side across the pond. Definitely.

I had heard once that hoarfrost was frost thick enough that it resembled snow. I don't know though. I just know for certain that it is a lot of frost or frost/ice.

Yep, Tilly. You're right! I should have known:-p I just wanted it to be something other than 10 pictures! So this is good. I really hope to see some more from the Northeast as well, or anywhere inbetween!! I don't suppose that the birds are going to be taking a bath in that pretty birdbath anytime today!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.