New Herbs?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

You can always go here to find out.... http://www.acronymslist.com/cat/chatting-acronyms.html

But I'm laughing with you - I am having much the same reaction to a fig tree that was listed as marginally hardy in my area and is sprouting leaves.

YYYYAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Dear all It hit me in the middle of the night what ROFL. Have to laught at myself on that one too. Wow, I'm smarter than I thought! Thanks for the link, must go see all those acronyms I've been missing out on and feeling too dorky to ask about. Fig congrats!

Sylvia

Columbus, OH

Vortreker, I'll look for seed of that Indian Bay for you. DH was raised in India, and has friends there, perhaps seed is easier to come by in Delhi. One of his childhood friends sent me Sandalwood last year.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks Celene.

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Love my lovage

It grew so fast I was able to lop of a few leaves for my soup I'm cooking. I had no celery. I've been dreaming of doing this exact thing for probably 5 years. I'm doing my happy dance again!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Betty, will you talk more about your dills? How are you starting them, do you harvest them for seeds or foliage or just having them, any advice on starting them?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm growing the fernleaf dill for the first time this year. Package says plant direct as it doesn't like to be transplanted? Betty/all anyone find that true? Is direct sowing the best way? I start my seedlings in fibre/peat pots so there is no transplant shock when I plant out. Would that work?

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

dahalianut-
-peat pots should work-I have done dill that way with no problems -. Just leave the peat pot intact except gently cut a shallow slit in the bottom.

Middleburgh, NY

I usually direct sow my dill. However, if you want to transplant dill, just make sure your dill isn't potbound. That seems to be where transplanting shock comes in.

Columbus, OH

I agree, herbalbetty. I wintersow mine, and cut the root ball from a milk carton into eighths, and have almost no trouble with transplant shock.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks all. Dill seeding commencing ^_^

Did you have any luck with the caper bush? It's one of the prettiest plants I've seen.

Columbus, OH

I could never get caper seed to germinate. I broke down and bought a plant, but couldn't keep it alive.

Bummer...

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Will someone explain the difference between all those different cultivars of dill? I know about Fernleaf and Bouquet, but what are the others?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pagancat no luck with the caper bush. I still have some seed in a tray that is bagged and spent the winter outside naturally stratifying but I will probably give up on them if I don't see anything by the end of summer.

Must be a tough one to get going. That explains why I've only seen one in my life.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Carrie dear. I'm sure the dill growers will chime in . The fernleaf is my first in this herb garden cuz I don't have alot of space. Bummer that the DG search engine has been disabled cuz I'm sure there are great dill threads on this forum (sigh).

Columbus, OH

I stupidly forgot what variety of dill I grow, because it reseeds. It's one of the cultivars that is supposed to hold off flowering for longer.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Not stupid! That's what I'm looking for in part, a slow to bolt quality.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You might check the comments in the various PF dill entries: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Apiaceae/Anethum/graveolens/cultivar/0/

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

My 2011 list consists of mostly basic herbs since I lost most of mine in spring. I'll also get borage, french tarragon, winter savory, summer savory, regular sage, dill, fennel, aniseed (if I can find it,) english thyme, lemon thyme, and bay laurel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.