Weather advisory for tonight through Friday

Shenandoah Valley, VA

They're calling for it to go down to 7 degrees tonight and I know it's colder where some of you live. This advisory just came through. If you have plants outside that might be okay normally but not survive this much cold, might want to bring them in or otherwise protect them, especially ones in pots where their roots could get too cold.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
305 PM EST THU JAN 15 2009
..WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM
EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
WIND CHILL ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
6 PM EST FRIDAY.

THE COLDEST AIR OF THE SEASON WILL MOVE INTO THE REGION TONIGHT
AND FRIDAY. BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES COMBINED WITH NORTHWEST
WINDS OF 10 TO 20 MPH WITH PERIODIC GUSTS TO 25 MPH WILL PRODUCE
WIND CHILL VALUES OF 5 BELOW ZERO TO 10 BELOW ZERO OVERNIGHT INTO
FRIDAY.

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS
WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. THIS WILL RESULT IN
FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.
IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS...MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND
GLOVES.
PELOQUIN

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Brrrr- my plants will have to fend for themselves. Its been too cold since 3 pm for me to venture out! I did have time to upend a tub of mulch on a forgotten canna-but that was probably doomed anyway. Both cats are in- at least they have sense enoguh not to argue in this cold.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I know, I went out this afternoon to make sure there was an air hole in the pond and check on some other things and about froze my fanny off.

It's supposed to be even colder Friday night, warm up on Saturday.

[quote]even colder Friday night[quote]
Wheee-oooh! Brrr!
I'm trying to get liquid water in the birdbath a couple times a day. Hmm, if I moved it on the deck, I could put a lightbulb under the large clay pot its on-might be enough to keep a spot clear...We once had to put a lightbulb under the oil tank to keep the line flowing. That's cold!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok....so now I'm REALLY glad I hustled my lazy behind and put out all that mulch late Sunday afternoon. My poor Daphne that had been perky despite the temps was looking a bit off this am...maybe I should put a sheet (pillowcase) over her tonight and a sheet over the shooting star gardenia...neither of them are real close to the brick front - like the others are.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sally, remember those little doodads you could buy to keep your coffee warm? They were like a little metal coil attached to a cord. I'll bet that would work if you happen to have one.

I had to unplug the heater I use to keep an ice hole open in the pond because it was causing the breaker to throw. Joys of old house living. I hope the fish are okay - the pond is frozen solid except maybe a small hole where I keep the waterfall running.

A cardboard box might work better than a sheet in this kind of cold, Chantell, if you have one big enough to cover it.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Boxes? Do I have boxes...LOL...always have boxes!!! Perfect size one here at work for the daphne...now the gardenia...ugh...that might be more of a challenge...going to dig in an office now....thank you!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Just wanted to let you all know it's supposed to be even colder tonight. Forecast is for a low of 3 degrees.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yikes...gotta figure out what to do with that gardenia...not sure I have a box that size...

Quick Chantell go buy a refrigerator!!!! and save the box !!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Now that you mention it my fridge is close to death's door...course I could only wish my gardenia was THAT big... Hiiiigh hopes...she's got hiiigh hopes...she got high apple pie in the skkkkyy hopes!

LOL>>>>the cold has us all giddy! Or Friday fever...Knocking on wood for you-that refrgierator does not really go 'bad' now that I jinxed it.
But seriously--a string of christmas lights inside a blanket might help some of these tenderlings

This message was edited Jan 16, 2009 4:56 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm now there's a thought. Wish I could hear the neighbors on THAT though "OMG, LOOK she's put out the Christmas lights....hmmm, none outside DURING Christmas but now??? What's she celebrating - the middle of Jan?????"

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...so 'Shooting Star' and the Daphne are surrounded by multicolored Christmas lights...'Mystery,' 'Chuck Hayes,' 'Kleim's Hardy' & 'Frost Proof' are covered with flannel sheets...left work w/o boxes....ugh!!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

What a day. Thanks to it going down to -1 last night, I've been dealing with frozen pipes all day. We still don't have them thawed out. I was up all night running a kerosene heater in the cellar in a failed attempt to keep them from freezing. Hopefully it will warm up enough tomorrow to help thaw them out.

It's never been this cold since we've lived here. And I'm worn out.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Diane...I'm so sorry...I shut up about the plants...geez

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I finally got the water going about a half hour ago. Long story that I'll detail later. I have dishes to (finally) wash.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.