Salvia 'Mesa hybrids'

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>saturated pure blue.

Oh now... THAT would be beautiful.

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

I happened upon some Salvia "Mesa" plants for sale at a local nursery. I got the last two, one "purple" and one "azure". Since they seemed to be hard to get some places, I snapped them up, but now would appreciate any advice as to growth characteristics,water,sun needs etc.thanks!

Candor, NC

I just took some pictures of the Mesa Purple, Mesa Azure, and a Salvia macrophylla x sagittata Big swing in a composite setting to show the relative shades of the flowers. One of the pix is attached.

As to habit, I think these will be at least 2 feet tall and wide, probably more like 3 x 3. I estimate that they will be pretty good bloomers, especially in the spring and autumn, and might need a little shade in Florida and California. Mostly sun and drainage is good for these plants, with a little slow release fertilizer, humus, and limestone in the soil.

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

Check out the images for azurite in the Wikipedia entry for what I consider to be about the most beautiful blue found in nature. Be sure to view the azurite-coated geode at the bottom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azurite

Now that's a color to lust for in Salvias

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Rich.They sound like they will do just fine in my garden then..I put one in a bed with Mystic Spires salvia, rosemary,daylily and roses and the other is in a bed with Mexican feather grass, butterfly weed,cuphea and dwarf pomegranite.I like the play of different textures in that bed .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.