How do you do it?

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Determined to have a weed-free garden this year with larger rhizomes and no leaf spot. I was wondering how everyone takes care of their irises. I have read many conflicting opinions. I usually hand weed, and use bone meal to fertilize (when I remember). Some people use Preen. I have read about people burning the weeds. For leaf spot, I read you only have it for a 2-year cycle (not true here). Read somewhere that you can use liquid Dial antibacterial soap mixed with water and spray to prevent leaf spot. Some people use Daconil. Read do not use Miracle Grow, read about people that use it and say it does wonders. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, things that really work.

Skywalker

Thumbnail by Mshadow
South Hamilton, MA

We hand weed again & again. Remove leaves showing spots, try to use spot resistants as parents. Haven't tried the soaps, might be a good idea to do so.

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I use preen in my iris beds now. I used to just hand weed but the preen saves lots of time since i cant get in the garden as often as i like. I prefer not to use chemicals but i make an exception for preen! As for leaf spot, i still havent got that under control. As fall aproaches i trim off all infected foliage as it shows up and remove all debree from the iris beds. I read that applying a dusting of lime to the whole garden in the fall will help prevent leaf spot. Im going to give it a try this fall. Copper fungicides are supposed to be what works for leaf spot but i never follow the directions on frequincy.

Coushatta, LA

I love the color of that iris.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Re: larger rhizomes, if your iris are blooming well, don't worry about larger rhizomes. An application of Triple Super Phosphate will encourage rhizome growth and better blooming. I try to apply it early in the Spring and after bloom. Not much, perhaps a tablespoon per clump.
Leaf spot is the bane of my existence, no matter how clean I keep the beds. I'm doubtful that applying lime will effect that. I have to apply lime because of my pH. Think pine trees& sandy soil, of which there are a lot of around Houghton Lake too. Iris prefer a neutral pH soil.
Have you had your soil tested?
I use Preen, plus a lot of weeding. Having tried the store brand of Preen, I can say that the off brand doesn't work as well. No money/time saved there. Preen is a pre-emergent, working only on seeds, preventing them from sprouting. It isn't a weed killer. As for grasses that spread by runners, death to them all. For those, I try to keep a sharp edge on the beds, using an edger and jerking up the runners. Crabgrass is the enemy !!!!

Your 'Skywalker' is lovely !

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

The inspector that I have told me to use Bonide Infuse for the leaf spot, but you do have to alternate, another words do not use the same disease control all the time, eventually it will not work, spray that on as soon as the leaves on the trees unfold, spray every 14 days.
Definately clean up dead iris debris, and any signs of leaf spot on any fans, remove the fan.
Grannymarsh is correct on using Super Phosphate also a little bone meak appy 1:1 ratio in early spring and after bloom.
As far as weeds go, the inspector told me to either paint the roundup on the weeds with a brush so that you do not get it on the iris, or preen or just plain pull, I just pull, I do not want to take the chance. On some of my beds I have moss growing around the iris, that does help me as far as weeds popping up, and it is actually pretty.

Clean Clean Beds all the time, do not allow leaves or anything to accumulate.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Cut the top and bottom from a coffee can, set it over the offensive weed and then spray Roundup inside the can on the weed. Be sure to let it dry before removing the can. This helps in tight situations. Roundup is another product that I've found does not work as well in the generic form. It's important to note that Roundup only works on plants that are actively growing, not so well on plants at the end of their growing season. Boiling water poured on weeds works reasonably well, especially in the cracks of sidewalks and other similar places. The 'Gardener Guy' says that horticultural vinegar works too. It is a stronger vinegar that one can buy in the grocery store.
Is Bonide a brand name or an ingredient ?
Is leaf spot mostly airborne or a result of splash up ?
Furry, four-footed animals enjoy digging up roots/rhizomes/bulbs looking for bone meal here.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Wow, so many good ideas. As long as I start early and keep it up, maybe I will be able to take better care of my irises this year. Thanks you everyone for all of the wonderful suggestions!

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Marsha, Bonide is the brand.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Robin you have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!!
Well this year I hired one of my sons to be her one day a week wether I am here or not
will it make a difference I doubt it.
I spray my fungicide, put down my weed preventer, pull weeds on warm days in the winter and ya know what I get?
Weeds and leaf spot.
HOWEVER! I ususlly don't get much of either until tall bearded season and by then their leaves cover most of it up
LOL
A

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Which Preen would you use in a flower bed? I know there are a few different ones. I'm hand weeding all the time but I've got an infestation of clover and a couple of other things from the lawn guys at the apt. using a mower with no bag and using a leaf blower to clean the grass/lawn/weed clippings from the sidewalks. The clover is blooming cute pink flowers right now even as cold as it has been lately:lol:

This message was edited Jan 17, 2009 7:28 PM

also, try to avoid over head watering. for the most part irises dont need any extra water unless its a real bad year but even then just one watering is good enough.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Preen won't do it for the clover. Preen is a germination inhibitor.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks--I've been trying to just lift the little bulb clumps and not shaking them loose--they sure can sprout from pretty deep down:lol:

So Preen would be effective for the grass and weed seeds that land in the bed, correct?

South Hamilton, MA

We have drip lines set out for watering. The newly lined out seedlings need the watering. Last summer the rain amounts were fine so we only watered the one time.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

There may not be one answer for watering iris. Depends on where you live, your soil, natural rainfall, etc.
Last year we didn't have measurable rain for 9 weeks, of course I had to water. It was in the heat of Summer. !! The iris were not putting out much , if any, new growth. One needs to judge it for themself.

Yes, dMac, Preen would be effective for grass/weed seeds that land in the bed, OR are already there. Another thing to think about is that there are seeds already in your soil, hiding. When you cultivate or turn the surface, it brings them to the top. I have a hand cultivator (claw thingy) and just move the soil around in the top inch or so.

South Hamilton, MA

I use a 'Cape Cod weeder' (L shaped tool) to weed. May try Preen for weed seeds this year. Will not get rid of the 'pasture grass' which invades the beds, but can concentrate on that, even if harder to remove.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info grannymarsh:)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have never used Preen, but some of the very experienced iris gardeners in my local chapter swear by it. I guess you can get the same results if you can buy corn gluten, which I think is possible in farmy areas. I have never been able to locate it here in my area. Slightly worry about toxic chemicals in Preen, but as I understand it it is mostly corn gluten, too. And I don't plan to eat my iris.

Raleigh, NC

glad to hear I"m not alone in my culture problems.

Winnsboro, TX

My two cents worth. I think we all encounter these problems to some degree. I personally pull the weeds by hand. I have used Round Up and it did work pretty well the first season. Then of course the clumps of irises got alot bigger and the ground area that wasn't covered with irises got much smaller. The weeds and grass continue to be an on going problem. I ALWAYS PLANT MY IRISES TOO CLOSE TO ONE ANOTHER. I always want instant beds that are full of blooms. Therefore I have to divide more often, and the weeds get into the hardest places to pull them.

Actually Clover is good for the ground. If you let them grow but not take over they will help keep some of the other weeds from growing. I've found it's alot easier to pull the big clumps of clover than the grass and other weeds that have roots EVERYWHERE. At least the clover is one big clump. LOL So when you pull it you look like you've done something.

Everything around here was in pretty good shape. Then we had rain here for the past 2 weeks. Needless to say the weeds have got a headstart on me AGAIN. They may just have to be companion plants this year.

My poor daylily beds are beginning to look like a huge weed patch. But I'm not complaining about the rain. We've needed it for sometime now.

I'm going to see if I can find someone who can help me get caught up on pulling them. Then I'm going to try some corn Gluten or something. This is too much work for an old lady. LOL

Happy Weeding and Gardening,
Marian

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm trying ground cover geraniums around my beardless irises. So far,this year it's looking good. Biokovo, and Karmina are the geraniums, and they seem to be dense enough to inhibit the weeds from sprouting. Not an answer for weeds around bearded, though, but I just thought I'd mention it.

South Hamilton, MA

Interesting, although we can use shavings etc around the beardless which are in separate beds, except for a versicolor which was a seedling planted in a bearded bed & seems happy there.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've always used mulch around the beardless, Lucy, but it seems weeds just seed in the mulch. Granted they are easier to remove, but it's still weeding needing to be done. The ground cover geraniums seem to take care of that, and nothing is too aggressive for the beardless. And when I dig the beardless, if a piece of the geranium comes up, I just plant them elsewhere. An experiment so far, but looking good.

South Hamilton, MA

Even in bearded, you can always tell when pictures are taken at Schreiners display garden as the beds have lupine, Cal. poppies & pansies, probably used to keep weeds down as well as showing people how irises can be used in the garden. I know that the weeds (in our garden, tall grasses) can appear in beadless plantings.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

My biggest problem is with grasses also. My ornamental grasses don't reseed here, but I get field grass, a tall grass like you're taling about, and then some kind of really fluffy shorter grass, about 6 inches tall or so. That one is easy to remove, but that tall field grass is nasty.

Raleigh, NC

the saddest thing I ever seen was on my visit to the Meeks' garden. due to old age and poor health, their markers were faded away to naught and the weeds were as tall as bloomstalks in the older beds. You could see vigorous irises were fighting on, but the weeds won.

Will be watching and listening, Polly, for results of your experiment. a real problem here is a weed looks like some sort of filament runner low grower. wild viola? anyway, it chokes and overgrows the feet. I"m having trouble getting ahead of it and plan to try Preen this year. Up to now, the only way to get rid of it was meticulously removing the thread like filaments and digging every square inch of the whole bed that way.

with all of NC's golf courses, birds "drop" fertile bermuda seed everywhere! even though we have zoysia lawn, we also have bermuda volunteers everywhere you look. It's our biggest weed nasty. having had a bermuda lawn once, I can give this advice: dig the bed edges sharp and deep, forming a trench, then scalp the closest lawn edge, and always mow so the grass is thrown away from the bed. every time you see the runners crossing the trench, get out your mower or hand tools, because a string trimmer would fling bits into the bed, and every other bit would root. Then go after any bits that came up in the beds as soon as they were visible, diggin down at least six inches for as much of the roots as possible. Round up never completely worked, that blasted stuff always came back.

Raleigh, NC

one of my photos of Schreiners. My evaluation of their TB display beds: long borders in midst of strips of lawn. a backbone a couple feet wide of companion plants, mostly similar height to irises. the irises looked to be planted a foot apart in all directions, in groups of 20 -30, all the same iris, in semi-circles up and down the length of the backbone on either side, flat side of the semicircle was the grass edge. most of the companion plants were behind the iris groups, but smaller companion plants and iris germanica/pallida were inbetween each iris group for a foot or two. strips of fescue lawn (so folks walked on grass to see the irises) went between the borders about five feet wide. you'd walk down the grass and see the left side of one border and the right side of the one facing it. there were ornamental trees or shrubs at the border ends, with a semicircle of irises planted there as well. you always saw groupings of irises together. there were at least 16 borders. these spectacular shots were taken across the tops of the borders at bloom height, thus you get several borders together.

here's a long shot of the "border"

Thumbnail by bonjon
Raleigh, NC

hmmm, that shot didn't have any companion plants in bloom, I think. Here's one of the across the border tops iris height shots

Thumbnail by bonjon
Cherryvale, KS

bonjon- You need to take me with you to Schreiners to take notes!!! LOL How is your spring coming?

Raleigh, NC

too wet or too cold to weed. ARGH need to get out there, because some of the weeds are blooming!

Santa Ynez, CA

I weeded for over 2 hours yesterday, my wrists and neck are letting me know today....rained here last night so too wet here too, and the wind in crazy.....looks like I HAVE TO DO HOUSE WORK today, yuck, would rather weed:)

Lebanon, OR

This is what I do in the commerical field, hand weed, Ronstar which is a commerical grade + Preen 80.00 for 50#, round up the paths, till paths after dead, seeing maybe about straw down ???, fertilize spring, after bloom with triple 10 or 15...then in fall cut as far as I can down on Sib and JI and pile 2-4" about twice the size of those and leave it until spring after all dead leaves are pulled off

D

Santa Ynez, CA

it is a process, isn't it? there is always something to do out there, but I do enjoy it......

Lebanon, OR

I enjoy all but Sept then I get a tad grouchy...but with the plant back think anyone would...it is all hand done. No machines here unless you call a paper cutter a machine...LOL

D

Raleigh, NC

ok, I'll bite, what do you use the paper cutter for dee?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How do you manage to use Round Up on the paths Dee? I'm so afraid of drift. I plant to put hay down in the paths this year, or whatever it is that doesn't seed. Straw, hay, something, I keep forgetting which one doesn't seed. I have the applicator stick for Round Up, and hopefully that will work better in the paths.

I love to see the Schreiners pictures Bonjon. There go with flowers always look so pretty.

South Hamilton, MA

I don't know if you can get this in your area--salt marsh hay doesn't seed. I don't know if it is imported for you from New England.

Lebanon, OR

Bonjon, the paper cutter is what I cut the tops off the bearded iris for the nice pretty fan cut and straight when doing plantback.

Polly I have a very light weight wood (really almost the weight of carboard that we made that is about 6' long that if there is ANY breeze we use to put down and then we spray and move, sounds like alot of work but really it is not...if I am doing my own beds what I have is a litter bottle attachment on the end of the sprayer to direct in circles and it goes fairly fast.

I do not know if we get salt hay from you or here and do not know the price but it has to be CHEAP with the three acres as this year, I need to get sand, compost, fertilizer to times and ronstar...for it all.

Snapshot for a blocker

D

gorgeous photos bonjon.

Preen-I love it! I havent used the organic yet(corn gluten) have used the regular preen for several years now. It works very well. I only use it in my iris beds so that weeding isn't a chore. I like volunteers in the rest of the flower beds so i don't bother using it.

What use to take hours to weed now takes a few minutes of plucking the few seeds that managed to germinate to to poor coverage with preen. excellant stuff!

I really want to get my leaf spot in check this year. I always clean all the debris away from the irises in the fall and again in the spring. Plus i prune and destroy all infected foliage but i still have it bad each season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.