dark wine and good orange iris..please advise

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

Ida Red is the darkest wine red I've ever seen! It may not be as modern looking as you want. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/35327/

Yellows make such a nice impact in the iris bed - I'm always reminding myself to get more.

dragonfly62 - your #2 is Melanie http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/171820/. #3 may be Maroon Damask... not sure as not very familiar with it.

Gainesville, TX

orange crush

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Dragonfly...do you happen to have any of those unknowns for trade??? I am always up for nice older var.
Dark Passion looks good in color for the wine. Some of the others look too much like a very dark purple or blue. Voltage looks like a really nice orange!! Great pics people!!!
debc

South Hamilton, MA

You are further south than we are, but Voltage would not grow for us. There is a border bearded so not as tall as 28" named 'orange pop' which does well.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hot Spiced Wine is one of my favorites. It's the one on the far right here.

susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Millenium Sunrise is a pretty yellowey orange.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Hebron, KY

Sharon,

I too, am interested in growing some orange Irises. :-)

I couldn't find 'Orange Crush' in the PF. Can you tell me more about it? Any pics of it?

I really like 'Voltage'! Gonna have to get that one! :-)

KSBaptisia,

What is that beautiful two toned blue in your pic behind 'Mango Entree'?

Marilyn

This message was edited Mar 19, 2009 9:59 PM

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

It is 'Got The Blues' by Blyth. There is a picture of it in PlantFiles, but it is a much richer, deeper color in person. I somehow didn't get a good picture of it last year (its first in my garden), probably because we had such an incredibly windy spring. Hopefully, this year will be better.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow, KSBaptisia, that "Got the Blues" sure has a lot of flowers for its first year in your garden. I am impressed!

Gainesville, TX

fresno calypso

Marilyn, I can't find my picture of orange crush and don't remember where I got it

Thumbnail by sharondippity
Gainesville, TX

claret mahogany was a beauty last year in my gardens

Thumbnail by sharondippity
Hebron, KY

Susan ( lincolnitess ),

What is that beautiful blue Iris on the left of Hot Spiced Wine?

KSBaptisia,

Thanks for the name of the two toned blue Iris! Your pic looks more blue ( which I love ) than the description and pic in the PF http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58857/
Bloom Color:
Light Blue
Blue-Violet

I don't see any violet in yours and that is what I want if I were to grow it! :-)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My experience is that it is very hard to tell which blue iris will have biolet in it and which won't. I am not even sure that my blue irises have the same amount of violet each year or not.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Marilynbeth, the blue Iris in the photo above is 'Ocean Pacific' Hybridized by Ghio, 1987. It is a nice clear blue. The other Iris to the left of it is Splash of Raspberry.

Susan

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

sharondippity,
Would you consider sending your picture of Claret Mahogany to the plant files? Very nice picture of it.
Thank you for posting it. hespiris

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I second that, sharondippity. That picture would help others trying to identify irises because of its clarity.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.