General Discussions 2009 - Chapter 26

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Digger; I'm sure you had to force your self to enjoy all that lol
We had some left over for supper tonight. Barb and I worked on supper together. We started with one left over piece of pork loin, cut it up into small pieces. I broke up two frozen peppers and browned that and I made a pepper gravy and stirred that together and Barb took a half of a bag of corn we had froze. Heated that up with a little butter and we pigged out, lol Not too bad for a quick meal. Don't think that quite matches up to yours though.
Nice to have you back in the loop.
I still have a bunch of healing up before I can do much gardening. But Gary has promised to help, That remains to be seen but I will be leaving more of it for him to do just that!!!
I even finished up a small batch of choke cherry jelly that I had started some time before I got hurt. So I'm a little worn out so its beddy by pretty early tonight.
Russ

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Digger, that sounds sooooooo good. Love that seafood. C.B. too. Oh well, here we are stuck here in rural Washington State, inland too. Not even close to the ocean. I mean about 500 miles.

Oh well, I fix it when I can. Glad to have you back.

Jeanette

Dahlonega, GA

I had a quick meal last nite . Beef weenies and sauerkraut on a subway roll . I don't even like weenies , but they were good. digger

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Digger, been there, done that. Yuck.

Jeanette

Dahlonega, GA

Doug, and Suz , I haven't said hello to you guys in awhile . It's going to be a great summer . Digger

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Sally, glad you're back! Getting ready for that hot humid GA summer weather?

Doug

Dahlonega, GA

You better believe it , Doug . I had snow flurries yesterday and broke some of my tender japanese maples new growth under the sheets I covered them with. Bummer !
Still have to buy bales and plants . Digger

Hello
Newbie to straw ball gardening.
i m going to attempt potatos
German Butter ball and LaRatte fingerling
darius is my enabler. LOL she got me hooked
gonna go get some old straw this week , with any luck
i have raised beds for most of my garden.
are there any begginer basics i could get some advice on ?
My name is Sue and i m a straw bale aholic :)

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

HI SUE..

Dahlonega, GA

Hi, Sue. The more , the merrier . Digger

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hi Sue;
I am also interested in raised gardening. Now you are raising potatoes! With potatoes, you don't need a bunch of nitrogen. That would give you lush foliage, but no potatoes!
You did say old straw, if you are meaning, already rotted or composted,
I would think you would be fine. I made the mistake of planting potatoes in straw, right next to my bales with the tomatoes. I never even give thought that the nitrogen would leach down to the potato root system. LOL
Good luck to you.
Russ

Wake Forest, NC

Sue: welcome from me, too. Thanks, Darius, for getting us another convert! ;-)

Wake Forest, NC

Folks, I am getting more and more excited by the day to get my bales planted. All of this discussion on the threads has gotten me pumped, for sure.

But, patience is a virtue, they say, so I'm biding my time a little longer to make sure no sneaky cold spell comes blowing in.

I don't want to have to replant.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That sure could happen Kent. We still have snow on the ground and where there isn't any snow, it is frozen. Temps haven't gotten up to 60 yet, even tho we have had some beautiful weather.

Jeanette

Wake Forest, NC

Jeanette: an old Navy buddy who lives outside Spokane has been sending me pics of all the snow he/ya'll have gotten. Unbelieveable.

Thanks for the welcome !! wow :)
good to know on the nitrogen , thank you . yes, old, already breaking down, straw. Hope to find some.
I m in zone 5b. i got my spuds to early i think ? they are in the dark cool basement right now waiting to be cut , to scab over.
i did spuds last year the old traditional way and got pretty good results ( for a newbie who didn't know what she was doing LOL )
I m pretty excited trying this new straw technique out. My FIL thinks i m crazy !! LOL

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Kent, I am 100 miles north of Spokane, and we are about 3 or 4 weeks behind them if you can imagine that. So, they have not had any snow for a long time. By a long time I mean maybe 3 weeks.

Jeanette

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Jeanette, Digger, Lena, Kent. and others, This is not a pretty picture. I am sure the kids will hold over me, if they don.t think I should be doing something, that they think might be hazardous .
This a few days out of the hospital. The zipper tracks over my head is where they cut, supposedly behind my hair line, to help hide the scars. and to access the crushed bone of my forehead and eye socket area.
Russ

Thumbnail by randbponder
Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Russ OMG I hope it looks worse than it fills..Wishing you a speedy recovery..

Tubby

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Awwww, poor baby! You look like Humpty dumpty after the Kings Men put him back together again! thank Heavens for good surgeons!
If you weathered this storm , You can handle anything!! Bless your Heart!

Wake Forest, NC

Russ: Holy Sutures, Batman!

I had a mental pic from your descriptions, but this really brings home the close call you had.

You're tougher than a lighter knot, for sure.

Keep doing what you need to do to get back on all cylinders, my friend.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Russ, I think that surgeon makes a lot of quilts. Looks like a perfect seam. But, it sure looks sore. How is it doing now?

That is a picture the grandkids should take to show 'n tell. Better yet, maybe take the real McCoy.

Hope you are doing better and have decided to take the summer off. Maybe just water the goats once in a while and let it go at that.

Take care, Jeanette

Dahlonega, GA

Oh ,you poor baby , bet you get lots of attention from your family and friends . How bad is that ?Your one of those men that would do anything for attention . All teasing aside , Russ, we are so lucky to still have you . You are like a bull in a china shop . Slow down until this passes , you can't do everything, and poor Barb, she must be a saint to put up with you . Get well and come on down for a few days, I can put up with you all if you don't try to do anything . I'll take you gold prospecting, and eat bologna sandwiches . Maybe eufala can join us . digger

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Well guys, I would say that this was just about the limit of my tough guy ability. I definitely called on the Lord, before I made it across the garage floor to the kitchen. It was about all I could do, to stay calm, so Barb would be able to summon help. I knew she had to stay calm too. So I had to still be her strong support. Wasn't easy, but you do what you gotta do, and it worked. I don't recall her falling apart, at least not until after the CT scan.
The surgeon told us what had to be done. I told him that the Lord would guide him. He didn't tell me about the steel plates and screws until afterward. Barb says, that's all I needed to be more of an attractant for lightning. She isn't going to let me out of the house if there is a storm approaching LOL
No Sally, I will be here for some of the gardening. Garrett has promised that he would be here more than last year and keep the garden clean. He and his wife paid for all the seed for this year. That is not to say though that I can't leave and hang out by the river with pole in hand, and just enjoy life a little.
Now that prospecting sounds fun, as long as it don't turn into a lot of work. lol
We are trying to plan a trip down your way towards fall. Barb is in agreement that we should take the time to see you and Kent as well. That will surely test the hydrogen assisted clean burn system. I haven't had a chance to test what kind of mileage it will give me yet. I'm not driving yet and Barb is just now starting to get up nerve to get back to driving since her mini stroke. So no testing for a while. I'm still seeing double, so I'm not even going to try driving for a while.
Still very confident that it will greatly improve the mileage. So we don't have to hold back as much on trips.
Russ

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Russ, you almost HAVE to come thru KY to get to GA or NC!!!

Doug

Bless your heart Russ. :) The Lord sure gave you strength . T&P for you and your family.
sue

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Doug; I remember stopping in Corinth KY 2 or 3 times when going to NC, when my younger brother had a heart valve surgery and as well for his funeral.
There is a mom and pop type motel there they are very reasonable, clean, friendly and they even have a small restaurant and coffee shop right next door. We seemed to fit right in like family. We loved it.
That is about 12 hours from here.
How far is Bardstown from there???

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I know exactly the place you're talking about! Cheryl has a cousin that lives on 70+ acres about 3-4 miles from there. That's about two hours Northeast of us.

Doug

Dahlonega, GA

With all of us , russ, sounds like you and barb are gonna have a great vacation . digger

Wake Forest, NC

Russ: I'll keep the porch light on for you and the dogs tied up!

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Oh you poor man! I did not imagine your wound to be so big! That is really quite an injury. You and Barb are very brave to come through all this still smiling and gardening and now planning a holiday. Please take it easy and get well again soon.

Lena

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Doug; It sounds like I may have to plan a longer vacation. LOL

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Yes, a quick detour to New Zealand too, no problem! ;-)

Dahlonega, GA

If we could get Jnette and Lena over here, we could have a great strawbale reunion with all the other posters I haven't even named ( too many to name ). See what you started ,Kent . digger

I have always wanted to go to the KY RU. But every time someone gets sick or job situation with DH ect... *sigh* maybe this year will be my lucky year :) i m always up for a RU fun time.
sounds like you all are family already :)

Dahlonega, GA

I've only been to one N.Georgia , but would love to make the Ky. Cool . digger

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Come on up and down depending on where you live! I went for the first time last year and had a great time. We had enough food to feed an army. The bed of my truck was filled with plants to give away.

Doug

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow Russ, I agree, it looks worse that I imagined. But I hope it doesn't hurt as bad as it looks. Luckily your hair will grow over it and you will have a great cautionary story to tell your great grandkids. T & P from me too.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I have only been to the Iowa RU 3 times. we are going again the 15th & 16th next month. I will have some kind of mat or something, so that if I wear out, I can just lay back a while. I have some plants to take already, not quite as many as I have had other years. however most of the members that will be there just want me to be there. and to not worry or over do. So that is the way it will be this year.
Now a KY RU might not be out of the picture next year. I think I would have to pass on this year.
Russ

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Guys and Gals.
Russ I just had to read all about your episode. Isn't God Great!!!
Now you can join me in waiting for His call. He obviously saved you for some reason.
I have been reading the back posts and can't find any explanation of an RU. I have been getting dense in my old age so I ask your forgiveness.
Russ, I could show you my scar pictures and we could compare.
I t is so good to have you back among us.
His servant, Paul.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.