Has the changing climate changed your growing habits?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

So has your zone changed over the years? Do you try plants now that were too tender to take a chance on years ago? Do you need more drought tolerant plants now? We discussed this link some I think back when it first came out but not how it has effected your garden practices. Do you think they will have to change the zones soon again? I know I have gone from 6a to 6b here. Also we have been having a summer drought the last few years. This seems to be very localized to southeastern Ma. however. I take water requirements into account a lot more than I used to when picking a plant now. How will this effect the insect populations and growth of evergreens that like cooler temps? Some regions of the country have really seen a large change in temps and rainfall and strong storms. http://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm click play to see the change put in motion.

Thumbnail by ngam
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

my bulbs don't know when to bloom; some sprout too early and then never recover.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

No, no, no and no.

Hee hee. Not really. I am supposedly zone 7 on the new map, but I have lost a number of plants that were borderline 6 or 7 so I still use 6 as a guide. I will try things in microclimates.

The trend now is toward a cooler pattern. A number of climatologists are predicting a mini ice age. Solar activity is very low. There was a period last year where there were no sunspots at all - very rare.

mini ice age - why are the polar caps melting?

Take a melting ice cube and turn the room temperature down to 25. The cube still melts for a while. Multiply that big-time.

Just noticed like that icecicle up on top of the header.

See what I mean?!!

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I was always on the 5b border, now, I can push it to z6. If I'm not totally sure though I plant near the house, or within a few feet of the house. There are a few things that I've had growing here for a few seasons now, that are supposed to be z6 and down, that are still doing fine here, if not just fine, multiplying; the first plant that comes to mind is the black mondo grass (most of the time rated z6 and warmer) this will be season number 4 with it...fingers crossed.

We'll be pushing the zone 6 numbers on Friday!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you got that right Victor

i have two hydrangea's that very rarely flower (one bloom last year) - i'm thinking they are nikko blue's - i just saw a this old house episode and they pulled one out and replaced it with one for my local zone (they even bought them at Mahoney's GC where I shop from time to time). mine came with the house and were next to the foundation - I moved them to an open area. I'm thinking i will move to a protected area this spring.

actually where i am thinking of moving them is a "trouble" spot in my yard that i have been meaning to take a picture of and post for suggestions.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Drought and more drought until this winter. Pushing the zonal envelop big time though. Trying zone 5s. Schickenlady it's already spring silly. Only 39 more sleeps til the 'Wakening of the Dahlias Festival'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.