Vertical Gardens

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Dann_L!

You've got SKILLS! That looks wonderful. Post a pic when the wall is covered with greenery so we can see it in process.

How far apart vertically are the box "shelves?"

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

It's looking a little shabby right now but I'll replant it in another week or two and send you a few pic's.

There's about 20 inches plus or minus between the boxes. I really have it in the wrong spot in my yard so I may be moving it when I replant it. I tried to grow a variety of things in it, but so far the salad type plants have been the most successful. Which is fine by us because we eat a lot of salads.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

That is totally cool. Is it anchored in any way?

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

I would LOVE something like that that was free-standing! I can't put anything too close to the fences on either side of my gardening area---ravenous goats on one side and a thoroughly destructive canine on the other.

This one is a couple of 4x4 posts set in 18" deep holes and filled with a 60 lb. sack of concrete. I don't think the concrete was necessary now though. The next time I'll backfill the holes with a fine crushed gravel.

I think this could be adapted to a freestanding design quite easily, but it would probably take up a little more space.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I found some gutters, I may put them on a frame like Dann's (just smaller)

Dann_L,
I'm a girl who's fascinated with the thought of constructing something, ANYTHING! So tell me what it's called where you "notched" out the 4x4. Then you set your "shelves" in and bolted them, right? I can see two bolts on the left-hand side. Did you construct the boxes, too? I like the "angle" cut on the ends. what are the dimensions on your boxes, please.

I may need to have someone other than the DH cut these pieces for me. Once they're cut, it should be easy enough to dig two 18" holes out back and sink in those 4X4s right? Sit a level on the top, then against the sides, right? Will just the gravel hold it upright, you think? LMK. I'm burning daylight on my Springtime schedule!

Thanks,

Linda

Linda...you have dmail!!! :o)

Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS(Zone 9a)

Oh I have got to give this a try..there has to be a way to keep moisture in the dirt.. Thank you for a great idea... and I just happen to have some extra rain gutters in the shed... Thanks again

"
We used this last year to grow lettuce.
The rain gutters cost 3 bucks apiece. Maybe a couple $ worth of screws. A small bag of soil. We watered with a hose, then set it up for drip irrigation. Lettuce was so clean you could eat it without washing."

Cliff Dweller, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm not sure if it's "organic" or not but I have a very hot side to my home and anything planted in tubs or pots has those "hydration crystals" in them and it helps to hold in moisture. I also mulch the pots in.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

This is my first year attempting gardening in containers and I did get so many good ideas from this thread. I found vertical stacks in the coop forum today and going to place an order for 3 to grow strawberries and beans. I have several different varieties of beans - I should be ok combining them in one container, right?

Jay,
Let's talk containers again. I reread your post above about prefering the 1-5 gallon containers best. Do you use self-watering eBuckets, and if not, why not?

Regarding the grow poles, if vertical is the way to get more in a small space, how about someone come up with a vertical, stackable SHELF that will hold the 1-5 gallon containers? Sorta like those revolving spice racks with the little shelves that swing around the center pole? Each shelf would hold one container.

I came up with this design. What do you think?

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Johnson City, TN(Zone 6b)

Ggirl, that is worth looking into. Watchout Jay doesn't runnoft and patent it. D

D,
It's ok. He's gonna pay me royalties for the design idea! Over here we call it, "intellectual property!"

Besides, I've got too many DG witnesses for him to steal my idea!

This message was edited Apr 1, 2009 2:49 PM

Johnson City, TN(Zone 6b)

so true Gg

D, you've got an EXCITING dmail!!!!!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 8b)

I like that idea. I think that would be neat for indoor too. Somewhere I saw a set up that had a pole with "feet" that sat in a large container, you then slipped the pole through the hole of a smaller container (they used basic clay pots) so that the container sat at at an angle on the lower container. You continued to stack the pots up. I thought that might be a cool idea for veggies, at least smaller varieties. I can't seem to find the link now, but I'll try to figure it out.

Audra...

I think fishie in the Southwest Forum made one of those. You might inquire with her.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 8b)

cool, I will. Thanks

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Amfm, is this what you are talking about? I just made one and I really like the look. I've got flowers in my first one, but I'm thinking about doing another one with herbs.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/897577/

Chandler, AZ(Zone 8b)

gingerlily, that exactly what it looked like. The one I saw didn't have a pole that went into the ground, they had feet that fit into the bottom container. I really like that stacked tilty look..

This message was edited Apr 3, 2009 9:57 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.