Ducklings - first bathtub experience

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

They're really cute n' fuzzy! :)
They grow like weeds don't they?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Sewincircle....I was so devastated after the loss of so many birds over the holidays with the virus and the cold....well....I bought a bunch of eggs on eggbid, thinking that many of them would freeze in transport, and expecting low hatch rates. I may possibly have gone overboard. I presently have 164 eggs incubating. I had to throw out a few yesterday that were non viable. Perhaps I will have some more in a few days from the next batch. I am having surprisingly good rates considering the freezing temps they were shipped in.

Yes. 164. Sounds like a lot, all of a sudden.

Clarkson, KY

I thought you scientific types were better with numbers...lol. Want a home for any Araucanas, let me know...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I haven't got any Araucanas, but I do have quite a few blue and green eggs in there, so Easter Egger/Ameraucana types. :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well it's just a fabby bonding with Puffin and Stuffin and Moscovin. Very Tolstoyish. Do they speak Quack or Russian? 164 sounds like a nice roundish number to me. I'm glad you are expecting new babies after your misfortune dear Claire. Can I dance at that fast for plentiful pips and zips per minute? I shall try ^_^

(Zone 7b)

OMG Claire what will you do with them all...........you have my head spinning i only have 27 in mine and think thats to many for this time of year.
Claire the super hatcher (well you know you don't have to put them all in if you feel it would be to overwhelming to have that many)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Dahlia - Moscovin speaks Russian and the goats speak a blend of Nigerian and Swiss. It's most unusual. They all manage to get along though. :-)

Harmony - they're in already....but of course not all of them will hatch....I don't think...and so if I got 60% hatch rate (mailed egg average) out of 164, that's only 98 chicks....

ACK!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Yes, 164 does sound like a lot, even if you lose some!
You will be up to your knees with fluffy fuzzy wuzzy babies!
You said Jan 25? Cool. My second batch (all 5) are due the 22.
Yippy!!! They go into hatcher tomorrow. I cant wait.
So you have some colorful eggs in there huh? I am jealous!
I cant wait to see those hatch!! giddy giggle!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Stretching. Limbering. This is going to be BIG TIME hatching dancing.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Ohhhh yaaaaa! I'm with you.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

The Moscovy duck speaks Spanish as they came from South American.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Hola! Como esta et, tu?
This about all I remember from two years of high school spanish!!

wow 164 ! that is alot of fuzzy

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Graznido! Graznido! (I think that is spanish Quack? Just doesn't have the same ring does it?)
крякать! крякать! (ok let's not even talk about the Russian eek!)

Clarkson, KY

Bless you!! Are you catching cold?! Cover your mouth, Dear...

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Reminds me... speaking of animal noises... I didn't realize until I was an adult that in England, instead of "hee-haw" they say a donkey says "eeyore" -- thus the name of our favorite clinically depressed stuffed animal in the Christopher Robin stories.

Clarkson, KY

Well goood grief....

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

and in German, donkeys say "i au", which is pronounced "eeee ow".
i au is also how "ich auch" ("me too") is pronounced in the Bavarian dialect.

I was teasing one of my cousins that the reason many consonants are not pronounced in Bavaria is because you can't really hear consonants when you are shouting from mountain top to mountain top. Consonants don't yodel well either. She had a good laugh at that concept. After thinking about it for a moment, she said that may very well be a factor, since the mountain dialects *do* tend to drop the consonents.

My Oma's chickens understood "poot, poot, poot" when she called them. I tried that dialect with chickens in the US. They didn't understand me at all. LOL!

Clarkson, KY

lol. All I know is the German cats understood my aunt's German and I didn't. Blow to the ol' ego....;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like 'Poot' as a name for a chicken.

How are Dippy,Blub and the gang doin? Where are they? Did they fly away? It seems like forever since we have seen them (hint, hint)

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah, Claire, ditch that studying thing and come play!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O good I'm not too late whew. I had a very traumatic experience. I burst a waterwing on the hot oven when I was putting in the bread and there I was paddling around in circles in the kitchen for the longest time. Good thing I remembered the j-stroke from canoeing so finally straightened myself out. I have prescribed myself a refreshing beverage and I'm feeling calmer now. I will amuse myself by looking a the pics of Blub and Dippy and the Gang while waiting for the bathtime.

Clarkson, KY

Oh Dear. I hardly know how to console you...Irish Coffee? Warm milk and a rubber ducky?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm ok now Cousin Nut (hic) but crappola now I have to get new waterwings :( No more skimming accross the snow til I find new ones. Its hard to find waterwings too; mostly they are made in kidling size.

Clarkson, KY

And they freeze and burst so easily too...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Specially if you wear them in a hot oven duh!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OK, I have to apologize profusely, but duck bath has been postponed until tomorrow. We went to get the sheep and goat around 3. We got home by 5. Just now (10 to 9 pm) I came in from clipping the first sheep. Our electric clippers broke. We had to do much of her by hand. It was exhausting, and I have spent many hours laying on the concrete floor of an unheated barn. The ducks must wait. I do not have the energy. Sorry. But I will be posting some sheep pix.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No worries dear Claire. The new family members must be your first priority of course. What a wonderful person you are to tend to the burrs right away. Looking forward to meeting the new Woolly Sheeps ^_^

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OK, sheep and goat thread posted with pics. Duckie bath tomorrow. Thanks for your patience on the next duck parade!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

New Ducky bath thread posted! Check it out!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.