Opinions on the scent of Solomon's Seal

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/393/
Read some where - someone was raving about this scent....please share any personal thoughts on this plant

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Chantell, I didn't know they had a scent, so I did some internet searching . Is it possible that this may be the verity that has the scent?
I remembering passing a mass of SS in the woods and never noticed a scent.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37115/

Chris

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Mine has no noticeable scent, unfortunately ... not sure which variety I have, but it is variegated.

lol, are they sure that it isn't Lily of the Valley that they smelled? ;p

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That's what I thought...no someone was referring to "this" as very fragrant and I thought "huh" - I mean God forbid I miss something that's hardy and smells good, ya know? LOL

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

We're cut from the same cloth, m'dear! =)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL!!! Ceases to be a want and becomes a need when it comes to fragrance!!!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm - that's interesting! I've grown the variegated SS for years, and have never noticed a scent, and I would like to think I that I would have. I'll definitely be out there sniffing once they come up this spring! ;-)

Barb

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, This year I purchased varigated SS from several different sources and none of it had any noticible scent. Of course, none of it bloomed yet either.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Alrighty crossing this one off my list...unless someone steps forward and tells me their sniffer's said other wise...LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I was reading the White Flower Farm catalogue tonight and they were describing the VSS as having a scent that is a cross between lilies and Hyacinths. They did not give a cultivar name. It's on page 66.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a big patch of it, but I never noticed a scent. I didn't bury my nose in it though. I can bring you a division if you want some.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Maybe that's it...just a particular variety that has the scent....ugh...knew this couldn't be simple...LOL Thank you stormy for the pg - makes it much easier - I'm painfully lazy at times. "cross between lilies and Hyacinths" - oooo, now does that sound yummy or what?!?!?
happy - thank you but I think I'll email WFF and ask about the type they have listed.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

I have a super sense of smell. No scent, good or bad, gets by me. I've haven't detected a scent from solomon seal, variegated or not, but would love to if there is one, so Chantell, I'll be looking forward to your info from WFF. Pam

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok....I must be having one of my "duh" moments...I cant' find that VSS on their site....help!!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have it -- I'll just bring (or mail) you some so you can see for yourself.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, They are calling it Polygonatum odoratum Variegatum, item # S36800 in the paper catalogue on page 66.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, Their phone# is 1-800-503-9624

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

happy - thank you! Let me contact them though to see if this is a different variety since so many of you don't detect a scent on theirs.
Stormy - you rock...thank you...emailing them now.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

You're welcome, Chantell. I did not notice the word "odoratum" in the name before. It's not included on the name on the photo, only in the actual item description.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Email sent - I will let ya'll know what their response is. Thank you again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.