Help! Baby geese or ducks?!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Soooo, after Kelly delivered the Animal Rescue League's borrowed trailer (from getting the donkeys, which I will post about later), he came home. With 11 web-footed creatures. I think they are ducks, but the ARL said they might also be geese.

I know absolutely nothing about ducks or geese. There are 4 large-ish white-ish colored ones. There are 4 much smaller yellow-ish colored ones. there are two black ones with white splotches, and one grey-black-ish one with a stripe on its head. They all have these really cute but pathetically tiny wings. There is no way they can flap out of the tank. A 3 week old chick has more wings than these guys!

They are in a 2 foot high aluminum round tank in our basement. I put paper down and gave them chick starter and water.

Does anyone know what they are?
Does anyone know what age they might be from looking at them?
Does anyone know how often I have to play with them in the tub?
Does anyone have advice of any sort?

Please?
Claire

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OK, here is a shot showing sizes and details of some.

Left most birds are the two black ones - the one behind is slightly smaller than the one in front. You can see the speckled breast on the front one.

To the far right are 3 of the smaller yellowish ones.

In the middle rear are 2 of the larger white-ish ones.

The front middle is the greyish one with the head stripe.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The black duck (larger one)

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The smaller black one has white wing tips and the larger one doesn't.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

bigger white-ish duck.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Stripe head.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

I had ducks and geese last year and I remember there was a difference, it was either their feet or their beaks but I can not remember. When they get a bit older you will know by their call(noise) For them to be "pet" worthy they need to know you Especially if they are geese.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

How will they get to know me? Should I spend a lot of time with them? They are freaked out by being picked up right now.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

This is a totally ignorant guess, but the way the striped headed one stands on its legs looks like a runner duck to me.

Without a doubt, you have the most well-stocked rescue organization I've ever heard of. Round here we just have dogs, cats, and an occasional bunny.

Have fun watching them grow. =0)
Jay

Clarkson, KY

The lady with the gorgeousness we coveted a week or two ago might know...

what i did was sit out with them and just talk on the phone or listen to the radio. Sneeze cough just like normal life then once they get to know your "smell" voice they will relax. Mine were little like yours are now. They just need to get use to you.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG I might actually know something (BIG MOMENT IN HISTORY). I believe that ducks have broader beaks that gooses.

Clarkson, KY

Goooo Dahls!! So which are these?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think baby ducks. (I hang with alot of Canadian geese)

OMG I did a google search on the difference on ducks and geese............ DO NOT GO there. I will just say a group that is against meat eating.

I am thinking a mix, the bigger ones might maybe possibly be geese.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

It's kind of fun to wonder, and then to watch them grow and see who becomes what. I want to do the right things for them though. They're not allowed outside until spring.

not allowed outside like they will be in your house some where or not outside a protected coop?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Did you ever find out what your hens succumbed to? Are ducks, geese susceptible to it?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

They are in our basement in the furnace/storage area. We have an aluminum water tank for livestock that is 2 feet high and over 5 feet across so that is fine for them for now. It is too cold outside for them here. The only problem is they smell sort of icky, but oh well....

Jay - I think they succumbed to Infectious Bronchitis but not 100% sure. No birds died last night so I was pleased about that. I am hoping the worst is over. I am giving aureomycin in water to prevent any secondary bacterial infections. IB is a virus so nothing much to be done for that. I don't know if the ducks/geese are susceptible but the chicks in the basement are fine. I have some Dutch banties and some ameraucanas in there. I wash my hands very thoroughly when I come in from outside and change out of my barn clothes. I think that strategy is effective since the chicks inside are all OK.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I think that big one is a goose.. and maby that other white one..
The rest are ducks..

That's my guess!

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

All ducks. It does look like there is some runner duck in several of them as they have the sloped forhead and beaks, I would say that some are crossed with pekin (the big yellows) as they have the body shape of the pekin. Pure runners normally have a more upright carriage. Most all domestics (other than call and muscovoy) have small wings. The black and white may have some muscovoy in him. There are several diffrent ages there. Ducks keep their down longer than chicks, so they are usually older than you think.

Ducklings eat much more than chicks so it is important not to give them chick starter as they get too much of the medications in it. They will fill their mouths with food and then run to the water to swish it around and foul their water quickly. I raise them with several inches of pine litter and the food and water at opposite ends of the brooder. I raise the water so they can reach it to drink and not climb in. I also set it in a shallow pan or bucket lid to keep some of the moisture contained. They really don't need to swim at this age unless they are dirty , but if you want a good laugh, fill the tub with a few inches of water and watch them.

Give them a warm light like you would chicks and when they are feathered boot them outside. Be prepaired though, ducks lay a LOT of eggs and are really good at hiding their nests till the eggs hatch. We ended up with over 35 ducks from only two females.

You'll have a lot of fun wih them. I always say that God created baby ducks for pure joy. They are the happiest birds I have ever seen.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Is it official than? Did jylgaskin just give me a BIG MOMENT IN HISTORY? Am I selfish or what? YES I WANT THE GLORY!!! (Parading around singing 'We are the Champions' as I type) I will be impossibly tiresome if it's true.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Wow! Thanks Jyl! What a lot of great information. Now I am worried about the food. It is all I have right now. I can get something else tomorrow at the feed store. What should I get? I have some chick start-and-grow that is non medicated too.

I'm glad they don't need the tub at this age! I didn't have a light on them. The Rescue League didn't have a light on them so I thought it was OK. It is about 65 in the basement. I will do as you do with the water. Good plan.

Thanks also for the helpful info on possible breeds mixed in there.

Can you use duck eggs in baking?

I am worried about them outside in spring. Do I have to build a separate house or will they go in the coop with the chickens? I have a pond but it is in our wooded area. Not heavy woods, but still woods. There are lots of songbirds in there, but also deer, a river otter, and raccoons. Will the raccoons eat them? I heard that snapping turtles will kill young ducks. Oh dear, so worried for them already!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Duck eggs are great for baking. I wish I was closer would love a supply of duck eggs.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Dahlianut, you are indeed the champion. Jyl is the Extreme Champion because she had all that extra info, but you, Dahlianut, are the First Champion, since you said first that they are ducks. Oh, you should both give yourselves pats on the back!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Dahlia is the Champion, Dahlia is the Champion....dah dah dah dah...of the world!
(sung in my best rendishion of the old song, all I could remember at least)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My world is complete. I am the Firstest Champion. I will just wallow for awhile and then maybe a speaking tour.

Clarkson, KY

As long as you send us pics! I love your dances!!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh yes, the champion dance. It will have to be the dance that surpasses all other dances! no pressure!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh! A speaking and dancing tour. Will you have one of those Madonna-Britney Spears type headsets for this? Who is your agent? I can be your agent! I can set up the autograph lines. Will you be needing any special dressing room requirements? M and M's?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cousin Nut of course, there will be the 'Dances of the Heart' in February and (big surprise) the 'Wakening of the Dahlias Festival' in March is a dancing frenzy. But we digress from the joy of the baby ducks. I'm hoping there will be swimming when the babies feel like it. Soon I hope but Claire is the best judge about the 'pool party'.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

You do have legal background for contract negotiation.
I would request a section for all your animals on the tour.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

DUCK POOL PARTY>>>FUN!

Clarkson, KY

Dances with Wool...I want wool....

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh, nice play on movie titles!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Sewin and Claire. I'm trying very hard to be humble in this extreme moment of glory. Probably won't last long though because I made a BIG MOMENT IN HISTORY. Told ya I would be tiresome.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

ROTFL on Dances with Wool. Dances with Feathers too! Sewincircle, contract negotiations with llamas are very tricky. This will require some planning. I will have lots of wool after shearing in spring - llama, Icelandic sheep, angora goat, and our mixed breed sheep too.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I see spinning in your future...lots of it.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Dahlia....we bow before your superiority, your great shining example, your fearless leadership in the duck realm. I quake at the thought of beholding your greatness in my duck's presence. I am overwhelmed....

THUD

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Bowing in reverace and aww!
Not looking into the eyes of your greatness because I dont want to taint you with my commoness.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.