TEA ROOM # 22

Wonthaggi, Australia

Hi Colleen,
I'm not sure. I suspect it is part of the Coleus family, as there were other smaller leaf varieties nearby. Yes, it is amazing! I have a thing about taking pics of unusual plants & trees, if anyone is interested?
Cheers,
Helen

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Cat, I couldn't help but to empathize with you about spiders. I have a true phobia of them. Totally irrational, I know, but real and distressing. Our only venomous ones are the Black Widow and the Brown Recluse. The Recluses hang out in dark, dry places such as closets and drawers. I always check my clothes and shoes before putting them on. The Recluse causes a terrible necrosis of the tissue. Whilst I was nursing, an elderly lady was admitted to the hosp. with 2 bites from one and it was touch and go as to whether she'd have to have her foot amputated. Not everyone has that severe a reaction to the bite but she did. The scary thing about them is that often the bite is painless at first. Horror of horrors.
The Black Widow hangs about in dark, damp places such as under houses and decks. Now their bites are immemiately painful and cause severe abdominal cramping that even with morphine the pain is severe. They have an antivenin for them but you can only have it once. So if you get bitten again, well, it's just heavy sedation time.
There is on old Southern saying that it's good luck to have a spider in the house. Not me. I want them outside, waaaaay outside.
Just wanted to add my two cents worth to your spider concerns. Lee

Sydney, Australia

It's time to enter the confessional!
I am after thoughts on my moral dilemma.
I have a 60 foot Camphor Laurel in my backyard.
I can hear my North Coast of NSW friends scream!
Over the years I have loved this tree and the peace it offers.
But lately, every time I look at it, I feel I must get it cut down.
I know it is on the noxious weed list in NSW but it is the essence of our yard.
Just after opinions. (Please be gentle)
Cheers
Steve

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Steve, I can't offer you any suggestions but it seems like you are really attached to the tree and the statement it make to your yard. what ever decision you come to, I hope you are at peace with it. My question is why is it considered a noxious weed? I'm not up to date on that classification of the flora of Australia. Lee

Sydney, Australia

Hi Lee
In Northern NSW is self sows easily and the camphor in the wood stops other plants from growing below the tree. So it has become a bit of a pest. In Sydney suburbs I am guessing it is not too much of an issue but I raised the same question on an Australian woodworking forum and they all said to get rid of it. (I suspect they want bits from it to make things). I suppose in these days of being "green" the emphasis is on control and not so much growing because "I like it". The tree was part of a wind break for a pasture around the original homestead and there are only 4 left. Over the years we have seen 6 cut down. As I said, we love this tree but have trouble enjoying it through guilt?
Steve

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Steve, thanks for enlightening me on the tree. We have a native tree called a black walnut ( Juglans nigra ) that prevents other plants from growing beneath it. However, unlike the camphor, it is in decline in the wild and doesn't rapidly spread.
I understand your dilemma. There is a debate in some circles here about naturalized, invasive, etc. In South Florida in the Everglades the Melaleuca are causing a real problem as they are so invasive outside their natural habitat that they are blocking the water flow in some areas and the Everglades is a National Park and they still haven't found a way to control, if not eliminate them.
The Highway Department is building a new highway about a quarter of a mile from here and they just leveled tree after tree after tree to build it. When I saw them with their heavy machinery literally scaping the ground, I practically shuddered thinking of all the trees they were felling. Habitat that was prime for wildlife. We live in a rural area and since then the environment just doesn't feel right. No snags left for the woodpeckers, owls, etc, that depend on them for nesting, raising their young.
I do wish I had the wisdom of Solomon but I'm just a mere mortal that cares about the environment. I don't think of myself as a fanatic but I do care.
Do be kind enough to let me know of your decision.
with concern, Lee

Gisborne, New Zealand

Why feel guilty Steve.. If it was something the govt or council wanted to grow they wouldn't give a continental hoot about how bad it was..
Did you have something you wanted to grow beneath it? If not enjoy your tree if another one grows somewhere it's not wanted it will be cut down soon enough.. Until you are told to cut yours down it is growing in just the right place.....
Well that lit my fire didn't it.. I hate seeing old trees cut down whatever they are and anybody being truly GREEN would feel the same..
I'll put my soap box away now.
Lesley

Gisborne, New Zealand

Ditto Lee, do you want to borrow my soap box...lol

Sydney, Australia

I will let you know our decision Lee. I just wonder if my children may one day say "Dad should have cut that down". Like the person who introduced Lantana and Morning Glory and Asparagus Fern. I heard on the radio this week that they are talking about widening a section of the highway between our home and our holiday house. Driving through this section on the way home today and seeing these beautiful Spotted Gums and thinking they are going. I think I would rather spend the extra 10 minutes in traffic. The debate on our Eucalypts is an ongoing one. Melaleuca and Eucalypt exports are causing problems everywhere else in the world. The odd thing is that the Camphor is only a problem because we have cleared land at a rate of knots. It won't grow under the Eucalypts! I'm the same as you. Wish I could solve the world's problems too but it's a little late for some things!
Cheers
Steve

Brisbane, Australia

Steve, we have camphor laurels growing here in our yard and they are not likely to be cut down. One of our beautiful leafy river suburbs is known for the avenue of camphor laurels..Laurel Ave is multi million dollar real estate and if they cut down the trees for political correctness, what would they have? A weed is a plant out of place! Your tree sounds like it's a very good place to be under so as it is probably older than you..or a replacement is likely to be in your lifetime..my vote is,,keep the tree! We have a much chopped down one out the front here and I am letting it grow up so it will be multi-trunked..our neighbour one up has one his great grandfather planted and it was hit by lightning a few Christmasses ago (also took out his snazzy display of Christmas lights..as I said to him a few days later..that's what you get for showing off..hahaha) and he had a tree surgeon out to save it,,I think it has been listed as a protected tree..he also has an enormous Moreton Bay fig that is protected. I say, keep the tree. They make nice specimens and I doubt that anyone is going to say you are being anti-noxious weed minded...just tell them you'd be more of an environmental vandal to cut it down. I love them..just watch for suckers and contain them. Cheers, Kat

Sydney, Australia

Thanks Awchid. I'm feeling better already. As for growing underneath it we have a Murraya, Birdsnest fern, Agapanthus, a Daphne on it's last legs and a native (name escapes me!). These were all planted by us so it's only sowing of native seed that won't happen. I guess the best way to describe it is that you want to do the right thing but then you say "it was already here and will still be when I'm gone" so let's enjoy it.
I was sitting on the front balcony last dusk watching the evening come in when I saw these two birds flying directly at the house. As they went over I heard a thud. I climbed the railing and saw a hen Crimson Rosella obviously stunned from hitting the roof. The second bird flew to a tall tree in the neighbours yard. I went to get the ladder and as I brought it around the front the second bird swooped and took the Rosella away. This is me. Wanting to do the right thing by helping but knowing that nature will take it's course if I can't help.
Does that make sense?
Steve

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Budgieman, That Camphor Laurel sounds as though it is an old friend of yours. At 60yrs of age it cannot be replaced. For sure you can plant another but it will be 60 years younger than the original and when the old one dies a natural death it is going to take the new one 60 years to catch up then it will die. This is one of my gripes with local authorities they always claim they are going to replace the trees but they can't. Back in the 1960s most of the streets here were bare then the Apex chairman of the time decided that it would be a good thing to plant up the streets and with council; approval they did and not only did we have shade but we had numerous bird species that were not usaually seen in the town. About 30 years later the council decided that the trees had to be removed because they were cracking the kerbing. Guess who the Mayor was? Yes the Apex Chairman from 30 years before. I knew him well enough to give him a tongue lashing. His defence was that they were cracking the kerbing and I said so what, you could replace the concrete kerbing quicker than removing the trees, Trees that could never be replaced. Neither of the events above were the result of one mans effort but with good leadership Apex planted our streets with poor leadership the council had the trees removed and now you can park your car in Barmera and have it hot enough to bake bread when you return.
Another thing that annoys me is the so called experts who name a plant as a pest plant no gripe with the truly dangerous ones, I can't actually think of one off hand. I refer to the clowns who claim that the foreign plants destroy our natural habitat, if this was so we would have no problems with the native birds eating "our" soft fruit or nuts and grapes etc.and the Roos etc love to eat unnatural cereal crops and fruit trees plus the fruit if they can reach it, and so on, there is a lot of bull sprouted by educated people who have no knowledge other than what they have been told by other educated non-thinkers.
Regards and unless that tree is going to fall over and squash you leave it there.

Sydney, Australia

Kat,
This confirms that it is not too much of a problem in suburbs.
I have heaps of seedlings at any time of the year that we keep pulling up. The leaf drop twice a year is no issue either. I feel much better "speaking" to rational people. I can understand the protected Morton Bay also. What a magnificent tree. I think the answer is keep it and love it!
Cheers
Steve
p.s. I'm guessing the tree is at least 70+ years old

Sydney, Australia

Stake,
I must admit, the Currawongs love the Camphor berries and in fact we can't use the clothes line for about three weeks. I had the same thought about street trees when these huge Melaleuca trees were cut down in the centre strip of a main road near us. After passing these things on the way to work for over 20 years now when you come off the bridge and expect to see these magnificent things there it is - nothing. They were making the road a bit bumpy! Not to mention the Brushbox at the front of our house. It is a lovely "V" shape because they keep cutting the guts out of it for the power lines. I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing!
There is no way the Camphor will fall over so I guess it's there until Council thinks otherwise which is exactly what we would prefer.
Thanks for your advice.
Cheers
Steve

Barmera, Australia

Budgieman
Don't forget that it is permissable to utilise what the tree offers. Lots of shade, limbs for hanging baskets and if needed a tree house for the kids or grandkids in fact with a bit of maintainence it can be there for lots of future generations.
Stake

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Wow, that was a bit of reading!
Chrissy, I had a wonderful xmas thank you! As for the freckle face, yes, very colourful and a pretty plant. Its a pity that I spend so much time weeding them out of customers gardens! LOL
Lesley, you are such a proud Mum! I can see it in the loving way you have been taking photos of your Angels!
Stake, I can't remember the species name, but the Tubes were labelled 'Mallee Gum' and the Genus was Eucalyptus, and I was told they were multi stemmed. What cultural needs do they require?
Helen, your pic is beautiful. They look like Caladiums of some kind, to me? Who's garden were they in?
Hi Colleen. I note that both you and Stake are from Barmera. Do you know each other? (people ask me stuff like that when i say I'm from NZ, as if there are only a handfull of people living there)
Gidday Lee, nice to see you in the Tea room.
Steve, Steve, Steve! Am I the only one here who thinks Camphor Laurel is a menace. You want to come up here and go for a walk along any creek, river or undeveloped area. Camphors as far as the eye can see! They are so tough. If you cut one down it suckers, and the seedlings are infinite! The birds carry them far and wide and the water spreads them down the banks.
It really is unfortunate they are a weed, as I agree they are a beautiful tree, and the timber is glorious! But unfortunately, here at least, they are out of control and displacing the native and indigenous plant species. I met people whilst at Tafe, who's sole purpose is the control of Camphor, but using methods that slowly replace them as they are culled, as you say, it takes a long time to replace the canopy, and the food source for the fauna.
I had one self seed at home, and Hubby loves it. I ring barked and poisoned it about 3 months ago, and thought I'd got it, only to see new suckers emerging from the base! Tough things they are.
Anyway, I don't think it's illegal to own one, so enjoy it if you can, but I know I'd rather have a camphor dining Table and chairs in my house than a live Camphor in the yard! LOL
I'll get off the soap box now, Lesley. He,he.
But seriously, there are alot of common plants that we all love that are serious weeds in some areas. I have tried really hard not to grow them, but have still kept the good old Agapanthus (although I've just deadheaded them as soon as they are passed there best) and I also have a Dutchmans pipe growing. I probly do have others that I am not aware of yet, as there seems to be a new plant on the list every week, here, where everything loves the climate!
Its a jungle out there!
Sue
Belamcanda

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Awchid, it doesn't take much for me to get on my soapbox when it comes to raping the land. You and I will stand on it together and all the others can join us, too. Wouldn't that be fun, alot of serious Aussies and a crazy Yank.
Steve, it seem like you got alot of wisdom from the others who have responded. I usually don't tell people what to do but, if I may make an exception this time, let it remain in its majesty. I'll be going to a site that can tell me about the Morton Bay which I'm assuming is a tree. Do you in Australia have bird which depend on dead trees(snags as we call them) in which to nest and raise their young? So many of our birds do and it was really almost physically painful to see all those old oaks, pines, beeches, our native Ilex, birches, all gone in 2 days. Now the land is naked. We are in an area that has rolling hills and the terrain is just the type I like. While living and nursing in Greenville, MS, which is on the Mississippi River, the land was pancake flat and I never really came to like it. I felt too exposed, if that makes any sense. I realize, in some situations, trees must be felled but these Highway Dept. people took this to the extreme, I think. When I first started coming here in 1980, there were few cars on this road and it was so pleasantly quiet but now there's traffic all day and night and it's a rural road.
I don't know, I just have a hard time seeing so much, what I call, environmental devestation.
Just about the only plant that I'd gladly like to see disappear is the poison oak and poison ivy vines. They grow rampantly at the edge of the woods and the cats traipse through it and the oil gets on their fur and I, each year, break out in a rash that itches like the furies and I have to go and get a shot or two of cortisone.
Oh, well, I suppose I've b******enough for one day. Thank you for allowing me this.
Good luck Steve and do what your gut tell you.
If I may use an Aussie expression, G'day folks. Lee

I grew up with a camphor laural as a child ...it sat on the fence line and must have been very old because the girth was over a yard wide ...it seemed enormous and very grand to me ...we would climb into the cool canopy on hot days and sit on the branches enjoying the fragrance of the fresh new leaves which we crushed and inhaled happily, I have a fondness for them because of this ... despite the reputation ...when people want to be botanical bigots then I tell them to give back the tomatoes ...corn ... potatoes etc...you go eat yams and quandongs instead (not that they aren't nice) ...in my time as a gardener I have seen our native birds happily adapt to what may be considered "exotic" ...just as we have, so yes I say if you love your tree ...enjoy it!
I love all the gum trees too but they cause so much damage around my way with huge limbs dropping off and exploding in the fires ...for me I have to love them from a little distance ...A huge branch crashed through my bedroom window at Woronora, and bushfire lept through the their treetops exploding like bombs, altogether these types of bushfires (I have been caught in three) have turned me away from having them in the garden, I need lushness to feel safe ...I felt that way in the camphor laurel.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

http://www.camphorlaurel.com/firerisk.html
Camphors and fire risk

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Lee that's used when arriving as in "G'Day mate Ow ya goin". Other than the 'So long", or "Good Evening" on departure to real friends you say "See Ya".
The problem with pest plants is that they are only pests to some people and even some of our natives are branded "Woody Weeds" because some of the farmers want every usable space to produce money and of course it is worse now when huge companies have to make profits for their shareholders.
A wise lady said to me years ago that she thought that any plant that could survive and thrive in our climate was an Honary Australian. Of course what a lot of people don't recognise is that the very fact that we are here has altered the environment and a new ecosystem has to be built by nature to cope, if we have damaged the environment too much then nature will correct that by getting rid of us. But the people who want to put things back as they were must first of all send us back to where our ancestors came from. And I'm not going. In reality all we can ever hope to do is control events but then it is only to suit our needs not natures.
Picture is of one of our greatest disasters but it is a waste of time and money trying to eliminate them. Harvest them and utilise them however possible don't just slaughter them because they are a pest.

Thumbnail by Stake
barmera, Australia

Yes Sue Stake is my eldest brother. We have 2 brothers and 2 sisters. We were all born here in Barmera but we are the only 2 left here now. There's 2 in Queensland and 2 in Adelaide. I think that both Brian and I have pretty big tap roots. cheerio for now.

Wonthaggi, Australia

Hi All, I'm not going to get in on the Camphor tree discussion, just one thing...Whether it stays or goes, it's gonna effect all plants & wildlife around it. Let nature take it's course.
Hi Sue, Sorry, I cheated, LOL!!! It's not from a garden here in Oz.
The Stunning pink plant, is on the River Kwai, where I was. Amazing plantlife everywhere, I'd never seen.
Cheers Helen

Yes beautiful pink caladium was my guess too ...
I knew you would pick on my polka dot plants Sue (giggles) but since you do a lot of weeding I understand why ^_^ ...but some of those space fillers are much better than kikuyu or other much nastier things. I have not seen any camphor trees in my district ...in fact I tried to grow one when I moved here but it died! ...maybe the frost or the heavy clay.
Your article points out that when wilted they are prone to fire ...I think most "wilted plants" would be ...honestly the gums are like bombs going off. My American friends tell me our natives are considered terrible invaders over there too. I think that any green and growing tree is better than bare earth any where. I do have some beautiful Camphor trunks (love the smell).
I guess one man's treasure ...
Colleen ...happy to share angels.
It too hot to sleep! off to a cool shower.
sweet dreams everyone!
http://www.terryco.us/Caladiums/Caladiums.htm
chrissy

This message was edited Dec 30, 2008 10:19 PM

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Stake, g'day mate. Thanks for your correction as obviously I need a primer in Aussie expressions. I appreciate your tactfulness in your correction. Thanks.
Since I'm not an Australian, I'm not going to get further into the discussion on the Camphor tree because I just don't want to offend the friendliess people on the DG site. Hey chrissy, what is a quandong? Never heard of it. Educate me.
Is the Melaleuca native to Australia and if so, is it kept in check there? Too, are the gums the most prevalent tree there? I heard on the news a few years ago, that during a severe wildfire that the gums really got things rolling due to their high volative oil content. Would the gums be the same a Eucalyptus? I know, do be patient with this uniformed American but it's the only way I'm going to learn, from actual Aussies.
Stake if I may as I consider all of you friends use my closing as 'See ya'. Lee

Sydney, Australia

Hi all.
I was waiting on your comment Sue being that you are at the battle front. I wanted to hear what type of damage it's doing and from what you say it must be nasty! It appears that it is no real problem in urban areas so I am a little more at ease. Just want to be seen to do the 'right' thing. In this case the right thing would be to leave it and enjoy it until the government introduces an insect that eats them and leaves us another problem. (as we seem to do time and time again).
Lee - the dead trees provide nesting sites for the native parrots. There is a large range of parrots even in the urban areas that use the hollows in the trunk for nesting. Unfortunately we pull them down if they are likely to cause problems to us humans. I have seen the numbers decline over the years around here. Fewer species around now. The debate with the Camphor is played out all over the world with different plants so discussion can come from anywhere because the problems are the same. The Gums we refer to are the Eucalypts and yes they have fueled your fires and the fires they often report in Greece. As for the Carp I agree with you Stake. It makes a great fertilizer. A mistake made, let's utilise it. Chrissy - I use the Camphor sticks to start the fire down the coast. The oil in it makes a quick ignition. I guess between the Eucalypts and Camphor it would be a toss up to see which would go up first.
Thanks for your advice everyone.
Have a great day.
Steve

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Thanks Steve for the info on your native parrots. Fortunately, for us on these 5 acres, the snags usually don't cause a problem as they would in a populated area such as in town. Take care, Lee

Sydney, Australia

p.s. Lee - do look up the Morton Bay Fig (ficus macrophylla)
It's a magnificent tree.
Steve

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Oh, it's a fig. Great, I will do that. thanks, Lee Too, Steve, might you suggest a good and reputable web site on the flora and fauna of Australia and NZ?

Sydney, Australia

I'd say this is probably the best site to hear it from those who live with it. I don't know of an ANZ dedicated site. The others may have some advice.
Stay tuned.
Steve

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Steve, just went to wiki and saw a photo of the Mortons Bay. I must say, I was really impressed. Lee

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. So this is what you all do when I'm not here.
I wondered where all the soapboxes came from.
I love getting up on one and having a go over something I feel strongly about. I can't comment on what the Camphor Laurel is like down here because I don't remember ever seeing one.
I may have done and not known what it was. I would keep the tree as long as it was not doing any harm . My pet peeve about trees in people's gardens is that so many never look past the pretty little stage to what a tree will be like in 10, 20 or more years down the track. That pretty little eucalpyt may squash your house one day. That lovely melaleauca can be inclined to just fall over one day Hope you aren't under it. That lovely tree with pretty flowers may be spread all over by birds eating berries.
It should be a rule that trees are not sold unless the buyer completely understands it's habits.
Yes, I also agree that councils are very remiss in wrong planting of trees too. I grew up in Melbourne where large Plane trees filled the streets. All over Toorak, Armadale etc these wonderful shady trees lined the streets. Beautiful to see but a definite pest in a lot of ways. Now I see them along the streets of Hamilton when we go shopping. Being deciduous , there are lots of very large leaves everywhere. These can be cleaned up and mulched , the worst is the seed pods. When we were kids , we called them itchy balls because they will make you itch when dropped down ones neck. The pollen causes a lot of people to suffer hay fever and the trees will be far too big for the streets in years to come. There is a movement in some Melbourne suburbs to replace all non native trees with natives. I see this as going way too far . In the right placement, give me an oak or an elm or such any day. Those avenues of stately trees Melbourne is known for are wonderful. I know they have a use by date but replace with same slowly over time. Some enlightened councils do this but the PC people want natives regardless.
How many yards have you seen with giant eucalypts in them ? Then how many news reports of branches falling from one or the whole tree falling on a car or house ?
One doesn't see many reports of the evergreen imports falling over unless in a severe storm which would topple any tree.
I love trees . I specially love the imports as they are so green and stately. Our eucalypts were meant for the bush and should be left there. Down here we are surrounded by Blue gum and pine plantations . I see nothing wrong in that as we do need trees for timber etc. If the land is not being used properly for farming then trees are a good alternative. They are helping the air pollution and any tree is better that no tree. A lot of the country around here was totally cleared by the early settlers and thousands of large red gums were lost. I know the settlers knew no better in those days but those trees are lost forever. Unless we put some thought into our planting we will all be making mistakes that affect generations.
Talking of cutting trees in odd shapes around obstacles. In a little place near here that has a line of trees down the side of the road, they have been cut to avoid the overhead wires. They are completely flat on top. Not sure what the trees are but they would normally be large and round. seeing these flat things is a shame and an eyesore. Down in our town , there is a row of beautiful Pin Oaks they are all L-shaped. Yes, the trees have a big chunk out of one side to avoid the wires. Good planning ? That's my speech for the day. Anyone for food ?
I think we all need a cuppa after that.
.Hello CT, the epi extension is now in progress, I have bought the posts and am awaiting delivery.
Helen, how are things with you ? . Those leaves are very pretty
Lee, hope you are not too cold. feel free to jump in to any discussion we have .
I don;t want to know about your spiders thank you. I have tried to make an agreement with mine. They stay outside and live, come inside and die. So far , I think I'm winning. There are not so many coming in as there were when I first came here.
Steve, that was fun. That's what the Tea Room is all about. We can sit and chat or get up on the soapboxes without any worry. It's just healthy debate not angry arguing. it does one good to be able to air an opinion nicely and get other views on the subject. It's called learning and tolerance.
Hello Lesley. we could have some fun on a street corner, you and I with our soap boxes.
I see you are cold over there again.
PussyKat, how are your turkeys? Have you trained the young ones to eat the neighbors plants yet ? I did like the look of your yard in the pics you showed us. How about the front .
Stake , how are things in your part of the world. I am thinking of making a small cacti area here but it's hard to find a place. I may have to leave them where they are. I have been using those poly fruit & vegie boxes from the supermarket for some of the bigger ones. Trouble is that I have all the rhipsalis and aporos hanging above and they are getting long and hanging all over the cacti .
Oh the 'joy' of lots of plants.
Hello Chrissy, how's the jungle ? I like green and lush but it's not too green and lush around here now. The countryside is all brown. That's why I love my oasis.
Better get some food out. Now what will feed the hungry hordes.
Try this. Lemon Frosted cake.
I am going out to move my seat where the epi place is going. I have seats everywhere to sit and contemplate. I will have to move this one over a bit. Have a great day all. the sun is out here but it's still Cool.
Happy New Year all and be good . No headaches in the morning I hope.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Champagne cocktails to toast the New Year.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Hi everyone ...first of all lee we don't get offended here because someone has a different point of view ...I think it is wonderful to hear everyones ideas and thoughts. Second me old china plate (mate) ...we don't offend easily because we are laconic, cheeky bu**ers.
So what are you all doing for New Years Eve ...lee do you see our fireworks over sydney harbour? they say America televises it because we have it so much earlier than you.
Where ever you are ... each and every one ...what a year it's been ...the new one coming up will be tough so they reckon, so get those veggies in and fruit trees going...a gardener fares so much better than those poor folk who don't have them ...aren't we lucky!
So we will buck the trend and make the new year the best yet!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! may it bring lots of happiness and love!
chrissy

Applause for Jean ...love your comments!
I have done brown arid ...my heart goes out to any experiencing that ...so I want to add my New Years wish to include plenty of rain! for all who need it!
Chrissy ^_^

melbourne, Australia

champagne cocktails - now you are talking jean. sorry everyone - have grabbed a few for tonight - they looked so good. might have to make some more jean. LOL.

its cool again today - 20 degrees after 10am. still in pjs and drinking coffee. very slack this morning - normally up and about much much much earlier than this. this is what school hols do to me!

heading into melb tonight for the early family fireworks. i think they are about 8.30pm - 9.30pm or something like that. lovely idea. the kids can enjoy them and then we can head home before all the older teenagers emerge on melbourne. still debating on the train (which is free tonight) or the car. hubby thinks the car and i like the idea of the train. will have to leave the champagne cocktails here chilled until i come home or else i could end up anywhere!

drizzled all day yesterday but didn't register much in the gauge. will grab those poppy and sweet pea seeds today now its warmer and drier. i think i will start saving the vitamin bottles for the seeds. will use envelopes until i can save some.

happy new year everyone... may 2009 be the best one yet for us all. chrissie - we are on stage 4 water restrictions so cannot water outside AT ALL. i won't put my vegie garden back in until they drop the restrictions as i refuse to water my vegies with grey water. have seven fruit trees on the property - two apples which are so old they have gone bitter (horses get them) and the rest are 2 apricots, 1 peach and 2 plums. they have been in for about 2 years now and haven't fruited for us as yet. don't know how long they take to fruit but i am hoping we get something next year.

shelly xxx

Sunshine Coast, Australia

Happy New Year !

Sorry Jean ...just spilt my cocktail.
No I haven't been drinking too much!

It's hotter here today then yesterday. 34 d.c.
Will have to do some more watering today for sure.

OK you all have a great day and I wish your gardens exceptional flowerings for 2009.

*BIG HUG*

Sydney, Australia

Good comments Jean. I am a big one for seeking comment from all perspectives in order to help formulate my opinions. There is nothing like being informed. In fact this discussion has swayed my thought on planting at Sussex. Every year our council gives native trees to the ratepayers. This year one of the choices is Scribbly Gum (Eucalyptus haemastoma). The rules are it must be planted on your property. I'm guessing that in years to come there will be thousands of big problem trees in small yards in the Sutherland Shire. I grabbed one with the thought of planting at Sussex but everytime we go down there now we find bits of the Eucalyptus next door embedded in our lawn 40ft away. After reading all the comments I have decided it will be potted and I will plant one of my Norfolk Island Pines (grown from seed) or my Ginkgo.
No champagne for me thanks. But if you can find a nice red .........
Cheers
Steve

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Hi All

Busy making stuff for our NYEve party on the beach but took a few pics of my frangipanis,these are all cuttings I took in January.......I decided to give big cuttings a try and they work,no problems......... here are just 2 of them.

Thumbnail by MyaC

and another....

Thumbnail by MyaC

here' s some ornamentals growing from the balcony....no possums or wallabies here.....

Thumbnail by MyaC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.