What's in bloom today - Part 2

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/918090/#new

done!

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey can somebody give me some help with what to do with my amyrillis after it is thru blooming? It has 2 hugh seed pods and I don't know when to take those off and when to cut it back and how to store it until next year. They don't come with instructions LOL and I am not smart enough to figure out what to do.

flowerfantasy, soon a cold climate person should come along and share their tips. In the meantime, you can google: amaryllis, storing after blooming
amaryllis what to do w/ seed pods
Indiana agricultural extension - growing amaryllis

that should get you started

Full House. Beautiful but to a semi-untrained eye (that's me) this one looks like Minerva and many others. Sometimes I think some of these amaryllis hybridizers market the slightest difference as a totally new cultivar. This aggravates me a lil bit. Of course, there is always the possibility that this IS a Minerva and it got misnamed. I don't remember where I got this one.

Same as the Lemon Star I posted in the previous thread. Looks like Lemon Lime to me!

This message was edited Dec 30, 2008 6:16 PM

Thumbnail by vossner

another view of so called Full House w/ more buds.

Thumbnail by vossner
Mobile, AL

I'm with you, Vossner! Sometimes, you wonder... I also purcased the one called Full House, and wondered. We will see!

Flowerfantasy, just keep growing it as a houseplant for now. Let it have lots of sunlight from the brightest window, and don't overwater or let it become completely dry.

Let the seedpods turn yellow/brown, and then they will crack open exposing thin and winged seeds. You can float those in water, grow in a mini greenhouse or even sprouted in a damp paper towel enclosed in a ziploc bag. When the pod is cracked open, ask again and we will point you in the right direction.

Here is one of many that I currently have in bloom.

Truly different and very NICE!

Razzle Dazzle...

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Razzle Dazzle, Full House and Summertime are all beautiful. The one I had at work that was suppose to be Pink Diamond turned out to be Romance I think. Hopefully it will still be blooming tomorrow night and I can get a photo. Has Dancing Queen been slow to bloom for anyone but me? I had it at work for at least 8 weeks and finally brought it home and put it on a heat mat. The first stem is still just starting to grow and I think another may be following. Received Santos in the mail yesterday and it looks good. I've lucked out on having them sent in Dec. The only one so far that suffered froze damage was Le Paz. The buds on one stem froze, but another stem has come up and seems fine. Just received a notice that the last 6 coming from eBay are on their way. We are having a break in the weather right now, so I think they will be OK too.

Susan

hmmm. For me, Dancing Queen has always been one of the good, easy ones. But I don't necessarily think there is something wrong w/ yours, especially since you say your're seeing some action now. The Queen was just being a sleepy head.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

That Razzle Dazzle is gorgeous. This is my Apple Blossom today

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Here's my first for the season. I'm not sure of the ID - it was simply labeled 'pink'..

The flowers are very small and have a green throat.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

O, love that "pink." And Razzle Dazzle.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Pasadena opened it's first bloom for me. I love the red lines near the center.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Picked up a Pink Diamond and a Romance on clearance at Walmart. I thought I had kept the Pink Diamond and given the other one away, but looks like I kept the Romance. I like it anyway.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

sort of reminds me of Charisma, with weak colored veining. Pretty

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Red Nymph, a large Dutch Double, from White Flower Farm

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Rembrant van Rijn from Easy Grow Bulbs, labelled as Melusine, my 5th mislabelled bulb of the season. This is my 4th year of not being able to get Melusine.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I have two "Madrids" in bloom at once. This one is from Easy Grow Bulbs.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

This "Madrid" is from White Flower Farms. So do I have 2 Lady Janes, 1 Lady Jane and 1 Madrid, or 2 Madrids. Anyone have an opinion on the ID of these two?

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Amico, an African miniature from Royal Colors.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Mobile, AL

Charmeur...

or at least, I hope it is!

Whatever, it is definitely Charming and much nicer than I had expected. And I almost decided not to order it, but on a whim, I did!

I don't think it is going to open more than this, and I wouldn't call it a miniature. It's just that the blooms don't appear to be going to open all the way.

Anyway, here is a new one to me!

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Mobile, AL

Exotica!

Definitely EXOTIC!

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Mobile, AL

Wedding Dance...

Thumbnail by HSteacher

I think I've lost my Exotica bulb to rot - must get a replacement, it's definitely one of my favourites.

My 'pink' has turned out to be Amalfi and very pretty she is too.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I keep seeing new ones I'm adding to my want list for next year, but, I want to wait until I'm sure I can get them to rebloom. haven't had much luck in the pat, but think lack of fertilizer may be the problem.

susan

Amalfi is lovely all opened up! You can do it Susan! I use liquid fertilizer each time I water. I have 10 buds right now (biting my nails) that I can't wait to see open!!

Susan my philosophy is, for $5 which isn't even the price of a bunch of flowers, if you only get one season's bloom from your amaryllis, it's still worth it :)

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

This is what Lariann told me to do with mine:
If the seed pods are not ripe, you need to allow them to ripen (i.e. begin to dry out and open to reveal the seeds). Once they do, you can collect the seeds and plant them. I would not cut anything off the plant until the seed pods have ripened. Then, if the leaves have died back, you can let the bulb go dormant by allowing the soil to dry out. If the leaves are still green, you should keep the plant growing as it needs to restore nutrients used to produce the seeds. Otherwise you may not get a bloom next year, or the plant may not even come up! Since the leaves follow the blooms, I assume that the leaves are still green and you will need to keep the plant growing throughout the winter, giving it plenty of bright light, warmth and regular, light fertilizations.

Hope this helps!
LariAnn

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

In Miami at Fairchild Gardens, in the greenhouse>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Fairchild again>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Fairchild>

Beautiful!! Thanks for posting those, Dale.

Aurora, IL

I have one blooming! This is all new for me and very exciting! It's Pasadena.

Thumbnail by keelybird57
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I have been away and came back yesterday to three new ones. 'Moonlight' not so special, but I have hope that it will be better next year or with another stalk. 'Evergreen' that I was green with envy over when I saw Boojum's earlier in this fall. I love it. Here it is. And 'Picotee' which is always lovely. I already had one, but "needed" another. I must go back and enjoy all the postings when I have time to catch up. Happy New Year all. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Happy New Year to All !!!!

Oh my, that Evergreen is an absolute stunner!

Well here's hoping that in 2009 I eventually can get a Picotee!

Happy New Year everyone!

Sue

Happy New Year!! Hope you also are living in great anticipation of the new year's blooms.

Thumbnail by boojum
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Gervase, a pretty new Dutch Standard from JS. The color reminds me of the old Howard Johnson ice cream flavor, "Peppermint Chip" that had chips of candy cane in it.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Rembrant van Rijn and Green Dragon. Have a Healthy and Happy 2009 and grow lots of pretty Amaryllis.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Happy New Year everyone. Thanks for sharing all your lovely Amaryllis photos. Gervase is great/

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.