DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 56

Melbourne, FL

Thought I would start a new thread with my best pic so far of a Zebra Longwing. I need to get some Passion Vine for my yard.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Zebra Longwing on Jatropha.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

White Peacock was around again today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Resting on a Hibiscus.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Gulf Frit on Mexican Sage.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2008 6:18 PM

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Monarch on Butterfly Weed.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

pretty gp,

Elaine

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

GP,
I bought a Passionvine and within 2 days had the Zebra Longwing...laying eggs like crazy every day.( don't know if it's the same one, but everyday this week one's been out there about the same time.) I've put out a call to one of my friends who has tons of PV, she's going to cut some for me if these eggs hatch so they don't devour my one plant ( which is only in a 3 gallon pot.!)

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Whoopeee! Gardenpom, go girl. GREAT PHOTOS! More, more!

Misponies, nice to have a supply of PV nearby. Oh, to be in FL!

Martha

Melbourne, FL

Thanks, Martha and Elaine. Seemed very busy in the yard yesterday...cooler weather coming for a couple of days, but I have to work those two days anyway....then warming up again for Christmas.

MW, well in the summer, we're wishing we were up north.....gotta win the lottery...summer home up north, winter home down south...........haha, one can always dream. but having grown up in Md. and maybe just getting older and NOT liking cold...I'll take Fl.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

I hear you, MJ! Think I'll try a lottery too, for a winter home in FL and a summer on in MS.

Martha

Hey, MW, we have the same first name!!

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Additionally, MJ, I love ponies! LOL

Martha

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well one of you was born in Dec....and the other??

LOL!

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Sheila, are you trying to spook me? LOL

Martha

May.......the bull........
the ponies is because I've had horses/ponies all my life. I teach riding and train for a living...although right now, w/ the economy it's been a sparse living!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

;-)

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

MJ, I was born on a horse! I grew up with a Tennessee Walker (Robert Allen), and a Morgan (Prince). My, my, eerier and eerier!

Do you teach English riding or what?

Martha

MW..Primarily dressage and huntseat. Used to Event also, but that sport has just gotten too crazy. Have 11 acres +/-........keeps us all busy...except today, it's chilly/windy........(read that as wimp!)...so inside catching up on paperwork....well, supposed to be catching up on paperwork. Also been keeping an eye on the Zebra Longwing eggs that are on my Lady Margert Passionflower. Got it on the screened porch so she can't lay anymore on it. Don't know if they will hatch or not tho...was 39 here last night and never got over 55 yesterday and windy as *&^!!!!. Same today just not as chilly.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

MJ, what do you suppose a butterfly does when she has no host to lay her eggs on. I'll bet that gets uncomfortable! Do you suppose she eventually just drops the eggs anywhere?

My, you have a nice operation with 11+ acres. Dressage is beautiful. I never learned the techniques. Bet you love what you do.

Martha

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

If it's a GF, she would lay eggs on fenceposts or wherever! Most species are more particular. That's why sometimes a butterfly comes into a yard and immediately starts laying lots of eggs on the host plant. I saw a Red Admiral today. Couldn't get a photo, because it flew away and I had things to do. But I put out an overripe banana...hoping it'll still be around tomorrow. Ah....a Christmas RA, wouldn't that be cool!

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Haha! Fencepost! Prolific little devils.

Here's to a merry RA Christmas!

Martha

Melbourne, FL

White Peacock was around again yesterday, this time a bit tattered.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

It spent a lot of time resting on the ground and on flowers.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Gulf Frittilary.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Gulf Frit again.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Monarch butterfly.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

On the Butterfly Weed.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Skipper shot.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Merry Christmas everyone!!
MW...The Zebra LW was here yesterday again...looking for that Passionflower. She kept flying around the spot it was in the flowerbed.....I could just here her....."I know it was here the other day....Where'd it go?". Had a Monarch laying eggs on the MW....
I wonder if all these eggs will hatch this time of year? Guess I need to get more milkweed too.........
Look what I got for Christmas!!

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You will get a lot of enjoyment out of that mjs....nice gift!!
Great pics of the bfs gardenpom! I am already tired of winter and it has just begun. I am ready for spring and my butterflies to begin.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Whoohoo. Great gift, MJ.

Gardenpom, wonderful photo of the White Peacock on the hibiscus.

Me too, Sheila. I'm ready to crank up my garden.

Martha

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Merry Christmas all, from up north!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Edinburg, TX

Merry Christmas ya'll!!! Kind of hard to think this is the 'winter season' when the temperature outside today a warm sunny 76. Only in south Texas!!! Go figure!!! Queens and Monarchs were flitting about. I hadn't seen Monarch in a while...so guess they are still some migrating to Mexico. Also still have a few hummingbirds that never migrated either. We get a bunch that stick around all year long :o) Ah, the joys of keeping those little buggers fed.

On a good note...thanks to oppossums that get into my back yard and knock down the tangerines from the tree there's lots of rotting fruit on the ground...and an equally large amount of fruit flies having a blast. I get to watch the hummies and dragonflies pick 'em out of the air!!!

~ Cat

I saw a Monarch flying around yesterday when I was in town. And that IS your winter season....whenever you can have a high temp that low! Some critter came and ate all the old banana I put out the other day, so I thawed out frozen cherries and put them outside, along with orange pieces. YAWN! Too early to sleep, but I'm SO sleepy! Didn't see butterflies today...but then again, only went outside a couple of times. After dinner, I could barely walk at all.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I had a Christmas lunch for my DS and DIL today. Much to my surprise and shock they gave me a really thoughtful gift this year. They had asked me several months ago for a picture of my favorite butterfly. I thought she was going to scan it and do a t-shirt or something. But she took it to a friend that does tile artwork. It is from glass but on a stone form that I can hang on the wall. The artwork is very good; and they lady has two jobs to make ends meet!!! I told her to tell her she should be doing this full time and selling them on ebay!! Isn't it georgeous???!!!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

She could totally sell those. We have tons of craft festivals around here and I've seen people selling things that aren't even half that nice. I imagine birds would look really nice in tile, too. What a lovely present!

Melanie

Wow! I'm impressed! Your family must really care about you a lot! I'm telling you...people that go to that kind of trouble to find out what interests you and then have something made like that. You're really lucky. And I agree...that lady that did it is really talented. I see butterfly-related stuff sometimes and that one is very special! Cool!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Melanie ...I used to have a booth in Coomer Craft Mall here and think they would have done well there.

And Linda.... The DIL isn't my favorite person, but did make a few brownie points today! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.