We won't let you down even if we are froze

BRIDGETON, NJ(Zone 7a)

Sedums and semps are real 4 season plants, a lot of these hardy to almost 3 zone. I have many different varieties and color in the garden as they really thrive with little care ang gives the most rewarding results. Plant them and forget them. Only plants I know of that thrive even with neglect. Sun or shade or drought, they don't care. They do not like soggy feet however. Other then the garden, they are great for containers, topiaries, wreaths. Many of the ground covering sedums start their color change in late fall and really show off in the winter. The spuriums especially go from green in summer to their reds and bronzes as weather gets colder. They just don't care about being frozen then thawing and then freezing again outside. They will just keep rewarding you with their versitility of hardiness and beauty. Certain sempervivum (chicks and hens) are also showing their reds and everchanging green colors. I just included a coral bell (heuchera) to show its hardiness also. We can still work with the garden even now, for the real avid gardeners who dislike the winter indoors and miss working with plants. When the ground isn't frozen, you can still plant these beauties. I have been growing these for about 5 years and the hundreds I have are in their glory even just sitting in their flats and trays outdoors. I am in a zone 6. These are some of my outdoor container plants that have withstood the cold so far and going strong. So don't think you have to give up gardening just because it is cold. Or if the ground is frozen, or it is too cold to work outside, consider making some crafts or containers with the semps and sedums. Consider these plants and you will be amazed what you can accomplish even in the winter.

Thumbnail by iluvcrapes
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Well thanks for this post. It does give one hope even when it is grey and wet and cold and yuck. My garden is going between solid and muck lately and will be under 6 inches of snow by the end of the week I'm afraid. Pots can extend the garden season and I love those tough sedums. Your little guys look very happy.

I am in a zone 6. I am zone 5a with snow! I cant plant chicks and hens now! But Thank you, thank you, thank you very much for the info!

BRIDGETON, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi ngam, You are quite welcome. I started growing for the purpose of providing gardeners like us who enjoy plants all year round. I list my zone as 6-7 as I am borderline due to my location near coast. Mailorders have me as both. So I put 6 as these plants are all doing great here and we can go below zero, as I am in inland countryside. Have a Happy Holiday. Thank you for writing the nice compliment.

BRIDGETON, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Schickenlady, You are so welcome. I am still planting in containers outside in potting soil and doing topiaries. That is the beauty of semps and sedums. We have had a few days when ground was not froze, so was able to get some in. But even in frozen containers, they just don't care. They are unbelievable.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I didn't realize how much warmer you are down there compared to me.... sigh... I have zone envy

BRIDGETON, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi onewish1, These plants would be just as happy for you as for me. most are hardy to lower zones then us. I have some containers now that are frozen solid in ice and still glowing and healthy. This is some angelina in a little tray that I forgot to put holes in bottom. I never knew these plants were this winter hardy until I started researching and growing quite awhile back. That is some tri-color sdum in the flat underneath. Still colorful.

Thumbnail by iluvcrapes
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it is pretty impressive... that's for sure

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hey, ho - I'm almost in your neighborhood. I'm over near the Del. Memorial Bridge. So glad to see you posting. I've always wanted some hens and chicks and never did get them. We also had some kind of of sedum from my aunt, but I think mom kinda dug it out once and it never came back. Do you sell?
Jan

BRIDGETON, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Jan, I have so many asssorted, but no names. I started growing about 5 years ago, and names were lost over the years, hens kept producing chicks and chicks started producing, and in winter some change color, so I just say assorted. Sold on ebay for quite a while, but a massive heart attack when my main valve ruptured put a real fast halt the last several months. But I am getting a little better and going to list on marketplace. Chicks and hens are live forevers with a good reason. I feel they are a hidden garden treasure, just like sedums waiting to be found out. I included a picture I just took took the other day to make some baskets, just to give an idea of colors of chicks now. Didn't intend on anyone seeing it so it is not be the best.

Thumbnail by iluvcrapes
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hope you get your full strength back, soon. Thanks for sharing the pics. I'll have to visit you in the spring to maybe find the sedum that my aunt had. It was a trailing one that hung down the sides of a pot. It kinda dwindled back in the winter, but perked up again in the spring. It didn't look like the roots were very strong, but like I said, I think my mom dug it up by mistake. sigh Plus, some hens and chicks. I'd love to put them in an old work shoe.
Are you close to RT 49 or 77?

BRIDGETON, NJ(Zone 7a)

I am real close to both. I want to post some pics of my different sedums as I go and just maybe, you will see some that look familiar. Baby tears grow like crazy in the summer and hang quite hardily but kind of fizzle out when the cold weather comes. They are quite winter hardy as a perennial, but kind of go to sleep as do other perennials. Also ogon is another that is real hardy throughout the warm weather and is a lime green color. It does not grow as fast as the baby tears does. Hens and chicks can be planted even now in baskets and shoes. Above pics were just taken, and the soil is frozen. I have all mine outside and still working with them. Does this hanging sedum in my birdhouse look like one you were looking for? This is a craft I did in spring.The sedum right low corner is baby tears.

Thumbnail by iluvcrapes
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that's really cool

BRIDGETON, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks Jan and onewish for the well wish and compliment. Here is one I decided to keep but gives you an idea of what you can do with chicks and sedums.

Thumbnail by iluvcrapes
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I did these two in 2006

Thumbnail by onewish1
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

DING DING DING!! I think we have a winner. That does look very similar to what she had. Yippee!
Cool baskets.
Jan

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the directions I followed told me to bury the turtles in leaves and cover with burlap for the winter... and the not so cold hardy ones should be fine.... NOT... only one came back I was depressed

BRIDGETON, NJ(Zone 7a)

Beautiful job - sorry you lost one. I have only used my chicks on the turtle I have made and I am going to see if it makes the winter without protection, now will be the real test. A lot of succulents from what I hear cannot withstand a hard freeze. That is why I have just grown the semps and certain sedums. I wasn't able to follow through with my birdhouse as my heart gave out this year when my mitral valve ruptured. That put a real halt to my growing and gardening. Have been messed up for last several months. Love your turtles though.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you... I have to rebuild them one of these years.... sorry to hear about your heart troubles... yes that would put a damper on heavy work that's for sure... hope things get better for you

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.