Photo by Melody

Northeast Gardening: We won't let you down even if we are froze, 1 by iluvcrapes

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright iluvcrapes

Subject: We won't let you down even if we are froze

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of We won't let you down even if we are froze
iluvcrapes wrote:
Sedums and semps are real 4 season plants, a lot of these hardy to almost 3 zone. I have many different varieties and color in the garden as they really thrive with little care ang gives the most rewarding results. Plant them and forget them. Only plants I know of that thrive even with neglect. Sun or shade or drought, they don't care. They do not like soggy feet however. Other then the garden, they are great for containers, topiaries, wreaths. Many of the ground covering sedums start their color change in late fall and really show off in the winter. The spuriums especially go from green in summer to their reds and bronzes as weather gets colder. They just don't care about being frozen then thawing and then freezing again outside. They will just keep rewarding you with their versitility of hardiness and beauty. Certain sempervivum (chicks and hens) are also showing their reds and everchanging green colors. I just included a coral bell (heuchera) to show its hardiness also. We can still work with the garden even now, for the real avid gardeners who dislike the winter indoors and miss working with plants. When the ground isn't frozen, you can still plant these beauties. I have been growing these for about 5 years and the hundreds I have are in their glory even just sitting in their flats and trays outdoors. I am in a zone 6. These are some of my outdoor container plants that have withstood the cold so far and going strong. So don't think you have to give up gardening just because it is cold. Or if the ground is frozen, or it is too cold to work outside, consider making some crafts or containers with the semps and sedums. Consider these plants and you will be amazed what you can accomplish even in the winter.