Poor Starfruit tree

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I moved my eight foot tall starfruit tree into my sun room for the winter. It had about 45 fruits on it at the time. A few days ago my cats started climbing the tree and batting at the larger fruits until they fell. They dont seem interested in the younger fruit, just the fruit that is about two weeks away from ripening. Very frustrating. Happy holidays all.

Oh yeah, I just ordered some white sapote and ice cream banana trees and they are going to ship them while there is a warm spell. Very exciting stuff. They all get crammed into the sunroom with the cats.

New Iberia, LA

What size container do you have the star fruit planted in? My wife gave me one last fall and it was about 4” tall. Since then it has grown to about 24” tall. At some point I am going to have to make the decision to plant it in ground or keep it in the greenhouse. I have heard that they can survive Zone 9 winters but you can never be sure of that.
My Ice creams fruited (planted in ground) in October, so there was no chance for them to reach edible size.
Oldude

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I have the starfruit in a 25 gallon container and it seems very happy. I think it is rated for 26 degrees. I think I will protect my ice cream banana to try to squeek as many day out of the growing season as possible. I am also doing the Mexicola Avocado rated at 18 degrees. This spring I hope to get my hands on some Wilma Avocado rated at 14 degrees. I would like to cross pollinate the two and grow the seeds.

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Looking for a starfruit that I can start. Don't think any of the stores in my area even have the fruit for sale. I have only seen one tree in the area with one good size fruit on it.
I have a Joey avocado that I just planted in September and is doing well. I have a Wilma in a 3 gallonpot and waiting to plant probably in March. I have not grown either of these yet but friends in the area have had good luck with them.

New Iberia, LA

Try JNR nursery,4809 Breen dr, Houston Texas. They should have it.
Oldude

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.