Newest I CAN thread

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I've been gone awhile with broken wrist and internet/computer problems. But I'm back now.

I can still live alone dispite the falls, etc. My DIL & DS give me a lot of help when I need it.

I'll be staying home today I think. Local schools are closed or have 2 hr. delay. I don't know if the store is even open today. The rest of the week is predicted to be worse. Getting to the cabin & bird house safely will be my biggest problem.

GOD bless & keep each of you.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Yes, we're having miserable weather. During the night our gas furnance ignitor went out. I'm so lucky my husband is very "handy" and he fixed it today while I was at work.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Rainy here but I'm trying strawbale gardening here so rain is a good thing.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2008 3:43 PM

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I can bend my left leg and walk with nearly no pain in that knee!!!. Hip Hip Hurray for the successful surgery!. I praise God for His hand in my healing and for providing a Christian orthopedic surgeon. (I have read the op note , and that knee was a royal mess~~~~not no more, though!!!)
Now for the other one in a few weeks!!

Sheri

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, I called the store on Monday & the streets wern"t that bad so I hurried up & get ready for work. I was less than an hour late. I worked today too. A bad storm is due during the night so whether I go in tomorrow to make up a day missed when I broke my wrist is questionable.

Good to hear you knee is doing well, Birdie. I pray the other one goes as well.

Thankyou and I hope your hand/?wrist is feeling better

I do want you frends on here to know how important you are to me. like family , I love you and pray good things for you

Sheri

Is this post still alive? If it has been continued elsewhere, please list the link

No Sheri, I think everybody is just busy with Holiday preparation etc. I've noticed a lot of threads are quieter than normal. ~ Pat

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm here. Just got home from a dinner with one of the girls & her children & grandchildren.

I'm thankful I can still drive. I don't like to drive at night but I sometimes have to. It's 16* here. I need to go back out to the van. There is lettuce out there that will be frozen before morning. I do NOT like cold weather.

I'm a Wussie, I don't COLD weather, I don't HOT weather but I still want the seasons. NO pleasing me, huh? LOL

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I hear you, psychw2. I can't handle temp extremes either way. Cold makes me hurt & heat makes me sick.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm exactly the same way - but it's not my fault! I have an ideal temperature range, like maybe 70F - 85F. Hotter than that and I wilt, colder than that and I freeze. Plus, thanks to my bum hypothalamus, my face and head are equatorial while my feet and legs are in the arctic and Antarctic regions. So I wear wool socks in the summer and always end up complaining to the hairdresser that my head is hot, so my hair needs to be shorter. (It's really short!)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

And as far as this thread being dead, we've been very busy up here having one snowstorm on top of another. Some folks lost power for a week!

Oh my goodness that's right! I wrote that because I have sometimes lost a thread that I liked when it got continued without one of those hyperlink things (that I do not know how to do). So, actually, I was on a fishing expedition to make sure I had not lost my friends on this thread.
All of you are so special to me and I think of you often. I would hate to lose contact.
I sure hope and pray that power has been restored. What did you do to stay warm??
We had an Ice storm that took my power out for 5 days (nights too!), but I had a wood stove and basically lived under a lot of blankets right above it, near a wall air vent. LOL, even without the electricity, when I started the woodstove, I thought I could use fans to force the heat up from the basement. (like flipping the light switch even though you know the electricity is out, its such a habit)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ours was never out, thank goodness, but a lot of the chatter on the NE forum is like "day 5 at the Marriott", "I'm so glad I bought a generator", "who else are we missing?" and "pictures of the ice storm." My wheelchair is electric and I charge it every night - I'd be in trouble without electricity. We have maybe 18" - 2 ft of snow right here, which is a lot for us, but they have 4 - 5 feet up in New Hampshire and Maine.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I heard on the news that someone got stuck in snow somewhere in one of the western states where snow seldom occurs. They called the local road department to see when the roads would be cleared with plows only to be told the department doesn't own any such equipment. lol

I've been watching the weather & see that much of the nation is having lots of snow & ice. So scary. People like me could/would be in a lot of trouble in such circumstances. My prayers go up for the homeless, the poor who can't afford extra fuel of any kind, those low on food, etc. that make these situaltions perhaps life threatening with no way to call for help-not everyone has either landline or cell phones.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sheri, just copy (ctrl +C on my computer) the entire contents of the address bar (like http://davesgarden et cetera) and then paste (ctrl + V) it where you want the link to go. Try it, you'll like it. Put your cursor (blinky thing, mouse, arrow) up in the top bar and press the CTRL key and the C key at the same time. Tjen go to a different thread a press CTRL and V! Ta da - magic! But you have to push send and then go back and make sure it worked.

test---http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pm/413350/

"test" again, and I appreciate your patience with me!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/932604/

OH!! It worked!! I can, I can , I can make a hyperlink!! Thankyou Carrie, for helping me!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Now I need to learn following those instructions. Thanks, Carrie.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Woo hoo Sheri! I knew you could do it!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's Scraps' birthday! I started a thread...

for Scraps?
Where?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

On this forum. Click on Accessible Gardening forum after the last post.

Woah...I must be having a brain block, because I sure do not understand.??
Has this thread been continued someplace else? Or a new thread been started? If so , where?

I got it! Sorry for sharing my confusion, and hope I didn't pass it on, LOL..

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

bump

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hello. You "can" do the bump!

My husband has been strongly encouraged to file for disability after his latest surgery. He is sad and disappointed but we are looking at the bright side. We'll get to spend more time together and he'll do more of the housework so we can have more time to "play" together.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

When my husband lost his "real world" job, the one he had been complaining about ever since I met him, it was a big blow to his ego. But we had the BEST TIME together while he was on unemployment! Then he started working for airlines -- for the benefits -- and going back to school part time. But I really look back on that time in between as our 'honeymoon,' since we didn't have one after the wedding.

And parents on disability get an indefinite subsidized maternity leave, sort of.

How are YOU doing?

Adjusting to not working was really hard, but looking back it has been a gift. I'm able to care for myself properly, I get to see my grand kids more than I would have, and I've been able to do small types of work for needy people. I'm content with my life, I'm happy. Give him a hug from me and tell him it will be okay.

With me working 40 hours at one job, and two evenings at the other, THIS is the most we have ever got to be together in our 3 years! It will be OK, we both know it but it is hard on him. This is sooooooooo not what he planned for our future.

Uhhh....
I can look at the glass as half full rather than half empty.
I can look for the good in a situation, which might just be by asking the question, "what have I learned out of this?"

I can laugh
I can cry
I can choose!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tell me about that!

here is a repeat for this thread:

I can rejoice in whatever we do
I can be happy for me and for you

I may not be able to run a mile
but I'll try my darndest to make you smile! ^_^

I was able to go to church today and stand during the singing, I did get dizzy once, but had my big strong man to hang on to.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Big Strong Men (BSM) can be great.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I've been doing a lot of yardening the past couple weeks since it has warmed up and stopped raining every few days. The cold moist climate was not conductive to warm weather crops growing well. Seeds didn't even germinate well.

I now have my 47 year old homeless, jobless daughter living with me so that is a big help. She has applied for disability thru the military but we have no idea how long that will take. Since she is homeless they have put a rush order on it. How much that will help we really don't know. She gets her medical care thru the VA hospital about 60 miles from home so it is a long drive but they try to put a lot of appointments into one day & she gets travel pay which helps a lot.

My wrist hurts quite a bit so I have supports or braces on it much of the time. But I can still dig in the dirt and plant trees & shrubs, put out some veggies & flowers, etc.

Having to admit you can no longer ever be the bread winner in the family, the homemaker & caregiver to the family, etc. is hard on the ego and sense of responsibility. But there is a blessing in every trial. Keep looking to GOD for new directions and remember this was no surprise to HIM so he doesn't have to sit around and figure out what you are going to do with the rest of your life. He already has a plan. You just have to be open minded and ready to accept new options and paths that HE presents to you.

I'm thrilled to tell everyone that my granddaughter, Abigail Catherine, was born this evening, 8 pounds, 1 ounce, 21 inches. Mom and baby are doing good. She is beautiful, looks just like me, hahahahaha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.