Hoar Frost & Birds in a winter wonder land.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Today was the first in two weeks with enough light for birds photos. The trees were blanked in hoar frost, adding a touch of surrealism. Bohemian Waxwings in a frosted tree top..

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

We located several large flocks of Bohemian Waxwings, but they stayed in the tree tops, too high for close ups. This is just one, of more than a half a dozen trees, this flock was spread across.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The few Waxwings coming down to feed, were in a tree with very little frost.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

This Bald Eagle in a frosted tree, was among the birds we photographed today.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Mashpee, MA

Nice pics, grasmussen. Alaska must be mighty cold by now. Brrrr!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Since the first few pictures all had blue sky, though I should show you we had to keep moving, as the patches of fog moved around. Had to abandon any attempt to find owls behind the airport, because the fog was moving in.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A Pine Grosbeak in a heavily frosted tree.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Another Pine Grosbeak. Oh, the temperature is in the single digits fahrenheit. Only 5 hours and 32 minutes between sun rise and sun set today. Less than 3 hours with enough light for photos, if the sky is clear. The sun is so low on the southern horizon, that one has to put the sun visor down, when driving south at noon, if it is clear.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A Black-billed Magpie.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh my Gary. those are so amazing

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Bohemian Waxwing

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

Such gorgeous birds. You are so lucky! Though I don't know if I could stand the cold. I guess there are ups and downs with every place.

I have never heard of hoar frost. It sure makes a good backdrop for bird pictures!

Melbourne, FL

Beautiful shots.....I'm surprised all birds don't head south for the winter....brrrr.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Wonderful series Gary...just beautiful shots!

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful shots Gary!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

So pretty with the ice on the trees!

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

I moved last september and the last owners told me dont feed the birds lol man I dont know what their problem was but the first thing I did was take out all my feeders and I filled all of them and again this winter I am rewarded with the most beautifull bird just outside my dinning room window every time I sit for a coffee or a meal I see different birds it is just amazing my kids love to look in the bird book to find out what they are called so they are learning about nature and our birds sometimes we even see deer and other animals it is just amazing to live in the country

my favorite book is the national audubon society field guide to birds eastern region north america most of the birds we see are in this one but this week end we say snow bunting they are not from our area but they are just beautifull

Thumbnail by scicciarella
Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice shots, Gary. Brrrrrr !!!

Marlton, NJ

I like your snow bunting scicciarella!

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

great shots!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Beautiful pictures...That hoary frost looks so cold tho'.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

What cool shots!!!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Those are amazing shots Gary, very lovely with the frost.
Scicciarella, those birds aren't easy to photograph. Nice that you were able to get one, so close. And like you said they can only be found in the country.

Marlton, NJ

I've been hearing reports of them in New Jersey.

oh pelle, wouldn't that be wonderful if they showed up at your house?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I've been hearing reports of them in New Jersey

Assuming this is Snow Buntings - they'll be on the coast, on the seaward side of sand dunes with sparse weeds. Sorry, no way will they visit a suburban garden!

Resin

boo.

I know there were some in northern Chicago Suburbs last year along the lake. Just the conditions you report, Resin.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

:-))

Actually, there are places where Snow Buntings will come into gardens to feed . . . but they're all in the Arctic. Reykjavik (Iceland) is supposed to be good for them.

Resin

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Monday there was heavy ice fog again, making photography impossible, but adding another layer of hoarfrost to everything. Today was a beautiful clear sunny day. I spent the three hours of good light searching for birds.

A flock of European Starlings was easy to spot in the frost covered trees.

The most common place to find Snow Buntings here is in open wind swept farm fields.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2008 6:43 PM

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A closeup of a Starling.

As the ice fog drifts along, it collects of everything producing the hoarfrost. A good breeze will blow the hoarfrost off.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A Black-billed Magpie in a frosted tree..

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Makes even those Starlings look pretty cool!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

We found a flock of Bohemian Waxwings numbering in the thousands, spread over many city blocks. However, we couldn't locate any birds down low feeding. They were all in the tops of mature Birch trees.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

More Waxwings.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

There were several Pine Grosbeaks feeding in this Crab-apple tree. However, the hoarfrost was so thick, I couldn't get a shot of most of them.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Pine Grosbeaks in the top of a mature Spruce tree, lighted by the setting sun at 2:57 P.M.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A Pine Grosbeak framed by frost.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A Common Redpoll dwarfed by the clumps of frost, on the twigs.

I hope to get another clear day, or two, before a breeze strips the hoarfrost off the trees.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Hope you get more clear days too with hoarfrost, would like to see more. Gorgeous.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2008 11:46 PM

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pics Gary! Love the sight of all the Waxwings at the top with all the hoar frost!

Hi Resin, Yes I knew they were only on the coast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.