Hoar Frost & Birds in a winter wonder land.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

the snow buntings like salt in there diet so I just put sea salt by the drive way and they came to eat it I am about nine hours from the coast and we usually see them after we get a bad storm with the winds coming inland they keep moving in the front of the storm say them last winter also, and I do live in the country side with many open fields so they will stay for a bit and them head back to the coast and I also used a 300mm lense so I was about 200 feet away from them and I still only got like three shots lol

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow Gary, those are some of the most beautiful bird photos that I've ever seen. Just stunning.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ditto.
Really pretty with the frost and the blue sky. You did very well, with very little daylight.

Thanks so much for posting these lovely pictures.

I just love the framing of the last three.

Orchard Park, NY

Sensational photos Gary! I've never heard of hoar frost either, but it sure is gorgeous. Nanny, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the starlings. They were beautiful against the frost. What a sight a thousand waxwings would make. You're very lucky Gary.

I thought my 8+ hours of daylight was short. Tomorrow is the shortest day of the year so we can start counting the added minutes.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A link to KcKay's Bunting photos.

McKay’s Buntings are similar to Snow Buntings, but more white. They are very rare, and breed around the Bearing Straits, between Alaska and Russia, near the arctic circle. A school teacher in the village of Shismaref, AK has a web site with pictures of the McKay's Buntings.

Shishmaref is an Inupiaq Eskimo village located on Sarichef Island in the Chukchi Sea, just north of the Bering Strait and five miles from the mainland. It lies within the Bering Land Bridge National Preserve. The population was 562 at the 2000 census.

The following link will take you to the McKay's bunting photos.
http://shishmaref.bssd.org/birdsofshishmaref/

Shishmaref is also the only place in Alaska with a resident population of House Sparrows. Apparently the Sparrows arrived from Eurasia, by crossing the Bering Straits.

I haven't had enough light for decent photos in recent days.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Great article Gary, wow are those McKay's bunting ever white, must be hard, to spot them in the snow.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Shishmaref is also the only place in Alaska with a resident population of House Sparrows. Apparently the Sparrows arrived from Eurasia, by crossing the Bering Straits.

That would mean a change in status for House Sparrow in North America, the first ones to occur naturally, as opposed to introduced by man.

Quoting:
McKay’s Buntings are similar to Snow Buntings, but more white

Remember seeing some data which demonstrated McKay’s Bunting should just be treated as a subspecies of Snow Bunting, as some Snow Bunting populations are more closely related to McKay’s than they are to some other Snow Bunting populations.

Resin

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

OP, tomarrow may be the shortest day, but it is also the longest night! LOL

Orchard Park, NY

I think I prefer your perspective cpart!

Orchard Park, NY

I enjoyed the link, too. Thanks Gary.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Dont' we stay the same hours of daylight/dark for nine days before the pendulum swings?

Orchard Park, NY

Ooh, intriguing Marna. Let's find out!

quick Nancy, to the Googlemobile!

Orchard Park, NY

Ok dear. Try this link for your hometown! Sunrise AND Sunset change to make days longer/shorter (but you probably knew that being Batwoman). I always thought sunset changed by a minute daily. Not so says Lord Google.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php

I have not mastered time zones other than to know that Pert, Australia is celebrating Summer Solstice. Solstice means "Sun Stationary." Sol - stice. Cool.

Orchard Park, NY

Pert = Perth

Looks like here we have 5 days that are the same length, according to Weather Channel. Which conflicts what your military thingy says.

*shrug*

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Quoting:
Dont' we stay the same hours of daylight/dark for nine days before the pendulum swings?

Not exactly, same number of hours yes, but the minutes and second do change!
The official daylight for Anchorage, AK today is 5 hours, 28 minutes, 5 seconds a loss of 0 minutes, 13 seconds from yesterday. Sunrise 10:13 a.m. Sunset 3:41 p.m.

Resin,
I agree the Snow Bunting / McKay's Bunting issue of species or subspecies is unresolved at this time. However, all of my references still list them as separate species. Last winter the local birders were very excited when a single McKay's was present in a flock of Snow Buntings. The difference in color was so striking, the McKay's could easily be spotted from a considerable distance, while the flock was in flight.

Orchard Park, NY

It doesn't quite jive, but I get the picture! Thanks Marna.

Oh Gary, I just feel so sorry for you! I guess I should stop complaining about my 9 hours and 8 minutes of daylight!

Orchard Park, NY

Got it Gary. Thanks a million.

Orchard Park, NY

Don't worry Marna. Gary will get his daylight in June! I figured 19 hours. Is that correct Gary?

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

It's slightly over 19 hours between sun rise and sun set, but on a clear day it doesn't really get dark in June. And I truly love that time of the year.

Oh yah! One of the things I would love to do is go to the midnight baseball game up there!

Melbourne, FL

Beautiful pics, but can't help thinking "what are those birds doing up there in the cold when they could be down here?"

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I was at the counter fixing a sandwich for lunch, when one of the Steller's Jays landed on the outside of the window sill, in front of me, to get my attention. I hadn't seen them for several days. When I got outside with peanuts, both birds were waiting. They got lunch before I did, but I took a few pictures. Beginning to look like they are going to keep coming all winter, this year. A lot of the hoar frost has fallen off the trees already.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A close up of a Steller's Jay. Better light today, so I'm heading out looking for birds to photograph.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Orchard Park, NY

Dandy looking fella.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Full of himself isn't he!! lol

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I located a a small flock of Pine Grosbeaks.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Most of the birds in the flock were either females or immature.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I keep telling myself, that if I try long enough, sooner or later, I will get a good closeup shot of bright pink male.

Maybe tomorrow????

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

It has been much more difficult to photograph Bohemian Waxwings this year, than it was a year a go.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Most of the flocks of Waxwings I've seen recently are either fly over, or roosted in the tree tops.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I did find one small flock of Bohemian's this afternoon, but they were very flighty, difficult to get close to.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Gary, wasn't your last group of Bohemians later in the year when food was scarce?

gosh, these grosbeaks are so adorable.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Great shots Gary.

Mrs. Ed, how do you remember all these things?? I can't remember what happened yesterday! lol

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Mrs. Ed,
Not trusting my memory, I checked the dates on last years Waxwing photos. I encountered large cooperative flocks feeding down low on Nov. 29 & 30, as well as Dec. 14. I did continue to encounter flocks through most of the winter, including late in the season when food was scarce.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Orchard Park, NY

Beautiful waxwings Gary. Really chowing down on those berries. Cedar waxwings visited my schoolyard in March to feast on the crabapples during a final snow storm. I'll never forget that experience. They are my favorite bird.

Does anyone know the difference between Bohemians and Cedar waxwings? I can't tell them apart.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Bohemian Waxwings have a gray belly and reddish-brown undertail coverts; red, yellow and white spots on wings.

Cedar Waxwings have a yellow belly and white undertail coverts; only red spots on wings.

Ah, well, see I don't remember things so well. I must not have been around so much for the early visits, but I DID remember something about scarce food. Thank goodness for digital cameras that record the exact date of picture taking!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.