dwarf navel tree snapped in half

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I have a dwarf navel in a 3 gallon pot just loaded with blooms. I should say had. today the gusty wind blew it over and it snapped in half about 8 inches above the graft. Not a branch nor bloom is remainding on it. All I have is a 8 in. trunk above the graft. Is there any hope for this tree. It is a flying dragon root stock. Thanks for any advice.
Susie

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

As long as you have buds on the eight inches above the graft, you will probably get new growth. However, it will probably be the year after next before you get fruit.

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

You don't even have to worry about visable bud's. If you have live trunk above the graft it should sprout new limbs and grow back. You might want to use the opportunity to shape the tree in any manner you desire. Don

New Iberia, LA

Citrus are tough and it will likely grow back. If you haven’t thrown away the top section you could do a quick bark graft.
Oldude

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the comments. The trunk is still alive but I do not see any new growth yet. All of it was on the trunk that broke off. I did save the top section and placed in a bucket of water. I do not know how to graft,is there a quick learning section somewhere that I could try without damaging the lower trunk?

New Iberia, LA

Here is the best tutorial that I have seen.
http://citrus.forumup.org/about1762-citrus.html

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks oldude, I have saved this link. Going to learn this method being I now have the opportunity.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Oldude that is the best tutorial I have ever seen and I really appreciate it. I have it saved for future ref.

New Iberia, LA

Joe Real is probably the most fruit tree and citrus knowledgably person that I know. He and the others over on the citrus forum can take credit for most of what I know about citrus. If you log into the forum you can see pictures of his 80 in 1 citrus tree. It is posted as an 80 in 1 but he told us that it has over 100 verities of citrus grafted to a single tree. Words can not describe my appreciation for Joe’s work and advice
Here’s the link to the 80-n-1 http://citrus.forumup.org/about3788-citrus.html
Oldude
Edited to correct link

This message was edited Dec 17, 2008 12:49 PM

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I noticed 2 new sprouts this morning just below the breakpoint.Looks like it is growing pretty fast. All is not lost.
In the process of learning how to graft. going by the tutorial and if not sucessful, then to a class on grafting in February.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.