24 degrees and fruit trees

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

These are the fruits that I have that survived 24 degrees for at least four hours with no problems. I had two digital thermometers gauging the plants and none of them were protected or within 10 feet of the house. None of these were in pots. There was a 10 mpg wind speed.

Mexicola Avocado
Calamondin citrus
Unknown orange
Meyers lemon
Surinam cherry
pineapple guava
miho and seto mandarins
loquat: Almost no damage to flowers as it is just about to fruit.
kiwi: lost leaves but no vine damage

Passion fruit: I also had numerous varieties of passion fruit vines that were uneffected as well. I was surprised by this.

Dragon fruit: These are growing up the stucco on the bottom of the house. Only one with very little damage. I suspect they all would have died if they were away from the house.

North, TX

That is good information and you have a nice list of fruit trees. When did you plant them? Just wondering if they were established or if recently planted.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Mexicola Avocado: first year
Calamondin citrus: first year
Unknown orange: third year
Meyers lemon: third year
Surinam cherry: first year
pineapple guava: first year
miho and seto mandarins: first year
loquat: Almost no damage to flowers as it is just about to fruit: 10+ years
kiwi: lost leaves but no vine damage: 2nd year

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Jujubeetexas, If your orange had fruit, I bet the fruit did not survive. The tree weathering the cold is not a surprise.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

We picked our oranges and lemons about three weeks ago. However, our calamondin citrus fruit did fine through the freeze. In fact, we still have about 10-20 on one of the trees and they are doing great. Another shocker.
I received my nagami kumquat, white sapote, ice cream banana and some black surinam cherries this week. They will stay in the sun room until spring. I will find a good sheltered spot for the sapote. Our star fruit is in the sun room right now with tons of fruit on it even though the cats are ripping them down. Next year is going to be a good year.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Cold hardy citrus will do fine and do not lose their fruit at 24 for a few hours. Mandarin oranges and tangerines do fine with cold. Kumquat should do fine as well. Some of those others I'm not sure about but they're all cold hardy. Now if it dips under 20 that's a different matter all together.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.