What is this nut tree?

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

I'm not sure if this should be in the fruiting category or trees and shrubs, but maybe someone here knows what this tree is?

Thumbnail by redchic01

actually, I think that this may have been figured out on another forum.

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

What did it end up being? Thanks
Mike

Well, sort of a long story. But, someone brought those to me, wondering if I kew what sort of a tree it was from because they really liked it and maybe want another. I asked if she was certain that she picked the right leaves off of the ground that went to that tree. She said that those leaves definitely came from that tree and that she had picked the nuts off herself. I was dumbfounded by that. Anyhow, in the other forum that I posted this in, Resin wrote back saying that the nuts were off of an Aesculus and the the leaves were from a Cercis. I've seen only the leaves of Aesculus and usually know redbuds well, but was dumbfounded when she put those nuts with it. Anyhow. I went to look at the "tree" myself. Sure enough, there were two trees so intertwined together that I believe that they were two seed thrown in the same spot. They had different types of bark (and buds), but she had never noticed. So, she has both an Aesculus and Cercis in the exact same spot.

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Are nuts from an Aesculus edible? Thanks
Mike

Coushatta, LA

No they are not.

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks

But, they do look like the should be! The remind me of a really large hazelnut or philbert.

Coushatta, LA

My friend ate one and almost died(a rattlesnake got him later)and spent a week in the hospital.

Did they actually eat just one to have that effect? Or did they try a few more?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.