Flowering in December 08

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Canna En Avent

Thumbnail by brical1

Frangipani Darwin Yellow...one of a few I kept.I did have a big collection but gave most away ..

Thumbnail by brical1

Ivy geranium...I have had this soft pink in a hanging basket for a few years...is really stunning when in full bloom...which is usually late winter early spring...but always has the odd few as like now.

Thumbnail by brical1

Garlic Vine Has a few flowers on today.Did you plant your seeds Chrissy?

Thumbnail by brical1

Plumbago ..always in flower

Thumbnail by brical1

This is the Alstroemeria aka princess Lily which you may remember I bought a couple of weeks ago from Bunnings...well the flowwers are open now and this is what they're like...nicer than I thought...I just hope it will be as hardy and as vigorous as my other variegated alstroemeria.. I have a feeling it won't be though! Oh well..

Thumbnail by brical1

Last one. These are some Michaelmas daisies I picked up yesterday at a market..

Thumbnail by brical1
melbourne, Australia

chrissy,
there is something growing where the 4 o'clocks were last year. i have decided that i am going to stop weeding in the garden as i have a lot of self seeding plants in there now. this thing (don't know if its the 4 o'clock or not) is getting bigger so i will have to wait until it flowers. i can' t remember what the leaves looked like.

have a few seeds here so will go out now and put them in the ground throughout the garden. will yell if i need some more. thanks so much.

jean - won't do the epi's i don't think. i will get some annuals or verbenanas like you suggested. have a very long verandah and think it needs some flowers hanging from it.

shelly

Shelley I will post a pic of the 4'oclocks today, meanwhile look at this ...it is Butter Bomb opening up ...I love it! bright yellow! and has 6 "points" rather than the usual 5 ....

Thumbnail by

and

Thumbnail by

Shelley here is a pic of 4'oclocks ...the first "nurse leaves" from a seed are round not like the true leaves ...the leaves shooting up from tubers will look like true leaves.

Thumbnail by
melbourne, Australia

i don't think these are 4 o'clocks chrissy. there are two plants here just in front of the california poppies. they are probably weeds!!! have gone out last night and put some seeds in so hopefully at least one plant will come up.
here is a photo of what is growing.

Thumbnail by shellyto4kids
barmera, Australia

Chrissy. The last photo you posted. We call them jewel of the nile. They come up everywhere. We call an Oxalis a four o'clock. Different states different names. I was following the talk on these four o'clocks and thinking that it was a bit late for them, and waiting to see what they were, so now I know what. Here's my mandavillas.

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Shelley they are a bit chewed but they are 4'oclocks ...I like to plant them where they get a bit of shelter and that way they have a longer flower display ...they are called 4'oclocks because they open around 4 in the arvo ...stay open all night giving off a sweet lemony fragrance ...but shut as soon as the sun touches them in the morning ...if they have shelter in the morning they stay open for a few extra hours.They are considered weeds in many places ...I love them because they are bright and festive at Christmas time .Cut the foliage off to tidy them up in winter as they die down.
That is interesting ...love jewel of the Nile for a name, they are also known as Marvel of Peru. Lovely little flowers.

melbourne, Australia

oh that is exciting. thanks chrissy. we have soo many snails here - everything gets eaten. i don't like using chemicals but may have to resort to some. i have heard beer in a bottle kils them. any other remedies? my kids go out after every rain and spend ages killing them. they have such fun and come back in all muddy and happy.
shelly

Sydney, Australia

Lovely little Fuchsia.

Thumbnail by Budgieman
Merino, Australia

Chrissy, I have seen no sign of any of the 4 o'clock seeds I planted. I have a couple of plants coming up from my original pink one . I have no luck with seeds here. I don't know where they go to. Birds, ants ???
I do have a couple of plants in a poy that are marked as Chrissy, but have no idea what they are. I will have to wait and see.
My Angels look a bit tattered from the wind but did well . It is a good day lily year and there are lots of flowers. This is one of my favorites.
I love fucshias, Steve. I have a few but have to nurse them as there is really no good sheltered place to put them. The hot summer wind shrivels the leaves . I only have about 6 small plants now.
Better go and get food out or people will be fainting in the street. Have a great day. Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Sydney, Australia

You are right Jean. Delicate things but worth the time. This one gets just enough shelter but in really hot days it will take a few weeks for it to recover from the burn. Another of those things in my garden that aren't properly positioned. 2009 = the year of structure and planning.
Cheers
Steve

Whangarei, New Zealand(Zone 9b)

Angels trumpet & Christmas lilies

Thumbnail by Northlander
Merino, Australia

Beautiful photo Northlander. Chrissy would love it. Do you have the name of the Angels ?
Jean

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Further up is a photo of the WA Christmas tree Nuytsia florabunda posted by 77 Sunset. Last week my daughter arrived back from WA and said that she had some photos of the WA Christmas tree and that I needed to see them. This is why

Thumbnail by Stake
Barmera, Australia

Close up.

Thumbnail by Stake
Merino, Australia

Thanks for putting those pics up Stake. I do miss seeing that wonderful color over the summer.
Jean

Gisborne, New Zealand

Lovely Angels and lilies Northlander, do you grow any other Angels and if so what colours? It is nice to see another NZer showing their plants. Do stick around and join in with us... Whangarei has some good gardeners and also access to plants we don't see further south..
Please show us your stuff..
Lesley a Gisborne-ite,

Thumbnail by Awchid
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Stake, I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful tree. How wonderful to have golden cascades. Awchid, a lovely colored daylily. Lee

Whangarei, New Zealand(Zone 9b)

77Sunset/Jean, thanks, I dont have a name for it but it is probably "Noel's Blush", common around here.
Awchid/Lesley, thanks also, I dont have any other angels - yet. Not enough room!

Christchurch, New Zealand

what a day, 30C according to the gauge in the car.
Waiting for it to cool off so I can give everything a long cold drink.
Hydrangeas are flowering at last - they look redder than the photo appears.
I have a cutting of this that I fed lots of hydrangea blue & acid fertiliser.
It hasn't flowered yet.
The one pictured got lots of ash from the wood burner.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Hello all, hope all is going well for each and everyone of you. Today, I received a flower catalog and saw one that caught my eye. It's Trachymene coerulea, Blue Lace Flower, and it stated if was introduced here in 1828 from Australia. Are any of you familiar with it and if so what are the growing requirements for it? Thanks, Lee

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Leeflea
Your Trachemene caerulea is the "Rottnest Island Daisy" it's not a Daisy because it is in the family Umbellifera and related to Carrots, Parsley and Parsnips etc. Some of these plants have been given the common name of Wild Carrot etc. Quite pretty plants with the ferny foliage and big flower heads. They are poisonous to stock if eaten but you don't sound as if you would have that problem. Some years ago a friend and I went to a station property to look at and find wildflowers and the owner asked us was a certain plant poisonous because he was loosing quite a number of sheep. I didn't think the indicated plant that was plentiful was poisonous but said I would check for him. During our wanderings we found several Trachemene plants (Unknown to me at the time) When I got home and keyed them out the book(s) used indicated the possibility of them being poisonous so I check with the State Herbarium and the fears were confirmed. I immediately called the Landowner who was quite amazed because there were only a few of the plants on his property but apparently the sheep sought them out for food and the few plants "got" a lot of sheep.
More of Stakes ramblings I'm afraid.
Regards

Gisborne, New Zealand

That Nuytsia is a very impressive tree.. Are there a few large trees all flowering at the same time, the ones next to my daughters, in the park are. The Illawara Flame a flowering gum another with a yellow grevillia like flower that I do know the name of most of the time??
Lovely trees but very large. I'm always amazed at how indestructible the leaves and seed pods are, no wonder they need a fire to germinate them.. Tough on the mower as well.. I have noticed that the gum leaves that blow into my garden don't break down until I rake them out and put the mower over them..
Alstromeria, Inca Gold

Thumbnail by Awchid
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Hello Stake, thanks for the info on the trachemene. No, I don't have the problem with livestock but am appreciative for your info. I think I'll plant a few in some containers this spring and see how I like them I don't know if they self-sow or now but if they do, then that's ok as we don't have a manicured lawn anyway. Not one of those people who hates dandelions, crab grass, etc. I think a mixture of plants adds to the biodiversity of a place. Stake, I enjoy your 'ramblings'. I don't consider them that as you are informative and I am grateful.
Awchid, the Alstromeria are beautiful.
All take care. Lee

Gisborne, New Zealand

My frangipani babies

Thumbnail by Awchid
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Awchid, how long will it take for your frangipanis to reach blooming size? Lee

Gisborne, New Zealand

One step at a time Lee, one step at a time,lol. I have got to pot them on and get them through winter first. I darent even think about flowers yet, but from what I have read it will take between 2 and 5 years.. I'm looking at a long term commitment I think. I have just set 10 more seeds 2 different colours and 5 of each so hope they all grow. This first lot I got 19 out of 22. I think the last 3 have had it..

Thumbnail by Awchid
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Thanks Awchid, the frangipani is something I've thought about getting this Spring from a place in Florida that sells them. I'd need them to be large enough to flower this Summer if that is possible from the ones they are offering. I'd have little room in the house to over winter them. If they wouldn't have time to flower, then I don't think I'll mess with them and they are pretty expensive for my budget. If I were going to spend close to $40.00, then I'd rather spend it on an orchid. At least the orchid wouldn't take up so much room. As it is, space is limited anyway.
You are so good at growing things, I'm sure with your care, they will do fine and maybe even surprise you and bloom earlier.
Thanks for responding. Lee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.