Flowering in December 08

Gisborne, New Zealand

Time to start a new month. Was waiting for Sue to move us, I was quite capable.
Day Lillies

Thumbnail by Awchid
Gisborne, New Zealand

Another

Thumbnail by Awchid
Gisborne, New Zealand

1 more

Thumbnail by Awchid
Gisborne, New Zealand

Beautiful pale cream, you can almost see through it.

Thumbnail by Awchid
Gisborne, New Zealand

Broadway

Thumbnail by Awchid
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Just gorgeous.... I particularly like the soft cream one,it would look so nice grown together with the soft pinks.Daylilies come in so many wonderful colours now don't they?..Thats a beautiful rose too.

Sunshine Coast, Australia

The cream one for me thanks!

Merino, Australia

Hello again Lesley. I was waiting for Sue too.
I love daylilies. I want that cream one too brical. I'm still waiting for mine to flower. I need more sun I think. Here's one of mine that has come out .This one is actually a lot darker than the pic shows.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Barmera, Australia

G'Day
This is a Rebutia species unknown, the flowers are bigger than the plant that bears them and they will flower on plants that are about 2cm in diameter. That colour nearly dazzles you it is so bright.
Regards

Thumbnail by Stake
Gisborne, New Zealand

That flower sure does dazzle Stake. I think I have a D/L of a similar colour. A lot of my D/L's are of a similar colour with slight differences.
It's quite hard when ordering as you order what you like and if the names are different you are none the wiser.
Tequila Glow.

Thumbnail by Awchid
Gisborne, New Zealand

Blackberry Nip

Thumbnail by Awchid
Gisborne, New Zealand

My favourite, so far.

Thumbnail by Awchid

.Your cacti flowers glow stake!The orange rose is very pretty...I bet they do really well in your climate Awchid.Another beautiful daylily too.
look what I found ...and didn't have the heart to move...I woke him up lol!!

Thumbnail by brical1
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

brical1, your posting the pic. of the cat in the flower pot is delightful and have turned a very long night for me into something about which I can smile. Lee

Thanks Lee...I seem to be the only one in this household who likes cats...he gets around me though Lol!

Gisborne, New Zealand

brical he is just lovely and so nice of you to supply a pot just his size.. Just enough room for the plant as well..

Thumbnail by Awchid

I often find him snugly curled up in that pot.. as awchid said,.it must just the right size for him!!lol

Thumbnail by brical1
Kannapolis, NC

Awchild: What are the cultivars of the DLs you posted above? They are lovely.

Here's whats in bloom for me today

Thumbnail by brical1

And this

Thumbnail by brical1

This too

Thumbnail by brical1
Barmera, Australia

G'Day All
I know you'll probably have a laugh at my ignorance, but what are brical 1's flowers?
The photo is of a re-vegetation project that a small group of us (7) collected the seed, raised the seedlings then many locals helped us plant in 1987. This is how it looks now with Lake Bonney just visible through the trees.
Regards

Thumbnail by Stake

Nice pic stake...where is lake bonney?... Ignorance...whats that huh?..just like a man lol! first 2 are cannas next one is a justicia...see if you can guess this one! lol

Thumbnail by brical1

What stunning pictures ...my day lillies are still only in bud ...we have high temps but little sun and the nights drop down a bit ...hmmm ...waiting.
Judy your cannas and ollies are lovely ...what are the spires of flowers?
Brian your red blooms hit you in the eye ...is that your real soil or is it a sand garden ...love the idea of the Lake Bonney project good for you.
Ok flowering for me today Bengal Tiger (Brugmansia) the two on the right (left is Zabaglione)...Bengal Tiger actually opened coloured ... what a surprise Angels usually open white or creamy yellow. We have had terrible winds so it isn't perfect but it is quite spectacular smells devine ...the bloom itself is a very big one with drooping whiskers and a waxy texture ...this one is the only one I have struggled with besides Chloe ...but it is worth it because I want the pollen to cross with a lusty grower.

Thumbnail by

Wow Judy they are an unusual colour ...or am I seeing things ...on my screen they look like blue grey Elephant's Ears.

They are lovely Chrissy are they Alistairs? I have a bengal tiger too, only mine is a canna!!

The Zabaglione is Alistairs and The Bengal Tiger ( a cutting sent by Alistair) is from that place up your way I think it's called Sacred Gardens. After I gather the pollen ...I will send you some, Mya too ...I have been waiting for it to grow big enough and it is the laziest one.It is a great bloom though so I want to work with it.

Off topic for a moment ...I want to show the difference between a bloom in the cool months last Autumn ...and now. The difference is huge ...this is why you must give your angels a couple of seasons to really find out what you have. This picture is Bengal Tiger in the cool.

Thumbnail by

Now in the warmer weather

Thumbnail by

I bet your Bengal tiger cannas are beautiful ...and your mystery leaves are???

very nice..these are the cuttings you sent a couple of months ago...I am so happy that they are growing.

Thumbnail by brical1

Guess!! you're on the right track though...where are you stake come on I'm waiting lol

Warning they will take over your life (giggling) in all the best brug gardens they seem to have cannas and or cordylines at foot ...looks great, congratulations on your cuttings doing well ...when they are a little more leafed out water well, tip out the pot gently and separate (they separate well) and pot on into well drained medium ...you will find they will grow like mad and you should get flowers in about three months ...Alphonse Mucha will be
the first ...he y's to three branches.That is Alphonse in front and Musketeer behind.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2008 10:18 AM

Thumbnail by
Barmera, Australia

G'Day Brical 1
I have a very poor knowledge of the subtropical/tropical plants in fact most large leafed foliage plants, the best I can do with the large leaves with the idescribable colour is Alocasia or Phylodendrons and the Botanists have probably changed the name of those just to make life more difficult.
There are two Lake Bonneys in Sth. Aust. One in the South East and the one in the photo which is a back water of the River Murray not very far West of the Vic. S.A border. Barmera is built on the shores and back from "The Lake" . It was discovered by European cattle drovers Hawdon & Bonney in 1839 and named after Mr Bonney it was completely fresh water until the planting of fruit blocks under irrigation here in the 1920s forced saline water from an underground sea back into the lake and now it is too saline to drink but fish still live in it, and especially now literally tons of European Carp the native fish are not as plentiful as they once were. The lake is about 5km Nth to Sth and 3km E to W and 17km around.
The shortage of water in the Murray/Darling system has created even more problems but that is a story in its own right.
That's like a darn history and geography lesson. Isn't it?
Chrissy100 that is our natural soil here but it's not what we call sand the real sand is on "The Mallee Sand Ridges" which are all around us.
The photo is Sunset over Lake Bonney, Barmera is straight ahead across the water.
Regards Stake

Thumbnail by Stake

what a glorious pic of the lake...did you take it stake?
You don't have to tell me about the murray/darling...it is so sad and all could have been avoided...had there been a little forethought for the future...all in mans greed I guess. And they continue to take from it...I live in an area that has benefited from this greed...I will say no more...
Chrissy and for your benefit, stake....it has purple/black foliage....but you are on the right track.
cheers

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Again
Yes I took the photo but didn't realise how lucky I was to get that sunset until I tried to get more and while some aren't bad they don't have that colour.
If I have to choose on the genus of the Purple Black foliage plant I'd pick the Alocasia but I wouldn't put money on that guess. Cannas grow here but I've only ever seen a red one that has been around for ever.
The photo is Parodia ottonis (Notocactus ottonis) it is one of the best I reckon, we are overcast today so the flowers aren't as open as they would be if the sun was out.
Regards

Thumbnail by Stake

They are a really pretty yellow!.....You're right of course it is an alocasia cultivar known as "black magic" and it really does appear purple/black...grows well in ponds and pots or in the ground but has very high moisture needs...well at least it does here...does well in a tub without drainage.

Thumbnail by brical1

bengal tiger canna in the garden

Thumbnail by brical1

And in a pot

Thumbnail by brical1
Merino, Australia

Here's my contribution for today. Another asiatic lily

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.