Kiwis in central NC?

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I asked this question on the Carolina Gardening Forum, but no reply so far.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/927685/

I asked it there because I thought I might get more locally informed answers. But maybe someone here has an idea?

Many thanks,
C.

Baltimore, MD

You should be able to grow them there without any problem. Call up Edible Landscaping and they can answer all your questions as well as supply you with plants. I believe they are also in zone 7b.

Scott

This message was edited Dec 1, 2008 8:23 AM

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Scott. I will call them. I was just thinking that some people would share their experiences and advice pro/con some types. Anyway, I think I am really only interested in the argutas. Do you know whether they are squirrel and/or deer resistant? As I was writing this, I looked out my window and there was a young deer right in the flower bed, not 15 ft. away from me, munching on a perovskia, of all things, I thought they would not like that!!!

C.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Just noticed your post. You "should" be able to grow the Kiwi of commerce - the fuzzy one. We grow 'Saanichton' listed here: http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/plant.php?splantName=Saanichton%20Fuzzy%20Kiwi&subsearch=Search and does well in western coastal Canada and grown as a crop on Vancouver Island.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I dont want this to sound like a cheerleading party for Edible Landscaping but I just received my paw paws and che tree from them in good condition. I have some Anna and Issai kiwi here in Texas but the heat and drought is taking their toll on them. I bet your location is much better.

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi, jujube, I think our situation here is a bit less extreme than yours. I am in zone 7b. I would plant them where they would get sun most of the day, but shade in the late afternoon (not much help there, I guess). And I would mulch well, and we collect rain water, and we have a very good well, so I think from all I hear from everybody I should be in good shape.

Baltimore, MD

C, the squirrels and deer have not been interested in my kiwis. They come in late enough that nuts are already available. The only animal problem I have heard is apparently some cats want to scratch the trunks. I have not had problems with my two cats. The main problem I have had with my argutas is how long they take to fruit, and the second problem is keeping them trimmed back. Now that I have some battery-operated hedge trimmers I find that problem is not so bad -- give them 2-3 buzz cuts over the summer and they do fine.

Scott

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I've seen kiwis on a trellis, as a vine.

Baltimore, MD

Well, I need to revise my remarks above. I went out yesterday to harvest my fuzzy kiwis since a hard freeze was coming, and they were all gone. I bet the squirrels grabbed 'em.

Scott

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Scott, I am so sorry, what a disappointment. How many do you think you had? However, this is good to know. I guess you did not see any deer hoof prints?

C.

Baltimore, MD

C, I only had a couple dozen. The main disappointment is I don't think my season is long enough to ripen the fuzzy kiwis and now I have to wait another year to find out for sure. I didn't see any signs of any animal, sometimes they will leave a fruit or two behind and the bite mark will clue me in but not this time.

Scott

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Chiming in here... I visited Edible Landscaping this past summer. His display Kiwi's were in fruit but not ripe so I didn't get to try any. Some of the hardy kiwi's will survive here in my zone 5 but not the fuzzy kiwi.

His prices are high, and there are some negative comments in the Garden Watchdog, but even at that I will buy from him as long as I can drive up there and pick out my plants. He had a plum that was the best I've ever tasted!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.