Oleanders Anyone?

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Myac, Speaking from a grafting point of view. Thevetia is not closely related to the Nerium oleander they are in the same family but the Peach Tree is in the same family as the Rose (Rosacea). For grafting purposes it is best to graft varieties of the same species when starting, then graduate to interspecific grafting, then intergeneric which is what you propose with the Oleander and Thevetia. I'll continue this over in the grafting thread if you want to follow.
Brian

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

my dwarf apricot has finally flowered.....jeez, so many nurseries, just don't stock these hardy plants.....

Thumbnail by MyaC

It's very pretty Mya ...it looks pink on my screen ...mine was very salmon in colour ...you can't find the dwarf ones anywhere ...I have spotted a few planted on the round abouts here looking fantastic ...maybe all the Councils bought them ...
Judy's are just great aren't they.
Look my baby has 3 skirts!

Thumbnail by
West of Brisbane, Australia

That's some oleander, Chrissy :-)
Seriously, did someone say oleanders were scented? What sort of scent?

Sorry I was off topic ...sorry judy (*blame it on excitment*)...yes to my nose they are like Johnsons baby powder ...a pretty soft fragrance ...unfortunately I got some pollen in my eye as youngster and had to have a minor operation to lance my eyelid swollen and red) ...a bad reaction to the pollen. I was always shoving my nose into this bloom and that bloom. Other than that ...I have handled oleanders without any ill effects ...just thought I had better mention the pollen in the eyes thing.The scent is soft floral baby powder ...

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Chrissy I went out and had another look and you're right, it's definitly pink but the tag says apricot dwarf,oh well .it's gorgeous and it's a keeper.......

Cestrum they are scented, well the established ones I've smelt..............

West of Brisbane, Australia

It's funny, but I've never tried to smell an oleander because I assumed they had no fragrance. I grew up with the common pink ones found in Melbourne; tough as old boots. Pretty sure they weren't scented, though ...

Chrissy, you've shown us the pics of your new-born, so now it's time to pass around the cigars :-)

Here have a cigar ^_^ ...walk past an oleander on a warm still day and follow your nose to the fragrance ...white and pale pink have the strongest scent ...I don't know about the rest.

Mya I wonder if the colour is different like the angel colours ...it might be apricot ...never ever have seen a dwarf pink.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.