Oleanders Anyone?

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

I appreciate that these plants are not popular with everyone and yes they can be all too common,used in median street plantings,roadside verges,parking lots etc allover.Left to their own devices and with neglect.. poor hard,dry compacted soil and little or no pruning,they can soon take on a very scraggly appearance.Not forgetting their "reputation" for being poisonous.I for one really appreciate the beauty of a well cared for specimen and have grown up with these all my life, but it is only in recent years that I have really grown to love these tough hardy shrubs.I currently have 10/11 different cultivars in my garden and have today just acquired cuttings of another....to me this one is a beauty.. The individual flowers of this particular cultivar are smaller than most but this could have something to do with its growing conditions.I have been eying it off for sometime now and had tended to forget about it when it was without blooms,but today I was driving by and it once again caught my eye,so I plucked up the courage and asked the homeowner(renter) for some cuttings.They were happy to oblige!This would have to be in my opinion one of the "prettiest pinks"...there are no salmon or apricot tonings to the blooms at all...it is a pure pink with almost but not quite lavender tonings.Take a look anyway!

This message was edited Aug 2, 2010 4:42 PM

Thumbnail by brical1

some others to show..from my garden
This one I grew from seed.Is a seedling from the next pic to follow.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2008 2:38 PM

Thumbnail by brical1

This is a popular commonly grown cultivar and is the seed parent of the previous pic

Thumbnail by brical1

Old Double white.I find the doubles tend to hold their flowers for longer whereas I find the singles are mostly self cleaning.
You cannot beat the doubles though for fragrance!!

Thumbnail by brical1

Another very light pink and from a distance this does appear to be white.

Thumbnail by brical1

Dwarf apricot...these are planted everywhere..very common and popular, particularly with local authorities, in parks and median strips..they are planted en masse every where here!

This message was edited Aug 2, 2010 4:51 PM

Thumbnail by brical1

Another very old and common cultivar but nonetheless beautiful when you look at the individual bloom....they could almost rival the beauty of a camellia or even a rose?

Thumbnail by brical1

And these

This message was edited Aug 2, 2010 4:52 PM

Thumbnail by brical1

Single red...my camera with not take a true closeup(colour) of the bloom..

Thumbnail by brical1
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I was one gardener that really disliked Oleanders. In Las Vegas I thought they looked awful, and they did. Then I went to Texas iver a year ago and as were driving through a neighborhood I asked my DH to pull over. I wanted to see what this beautiful Red flower was on this bush. When I got to the bush, I could not believe it was an oleander. The leaves were a dark green and the blooms were outrageous. I had some dwarf oleanders separating my neighbors and our driveway. They were the neighbors oleanders. They were ugly. I hated them and some nights I would contemplate their timely death, maybe a Las Vegas hit man!!!! Last spring they went to Europe for two weeks and asked would I watch their cat and keep an eye on their landscape. He does their landscape so no gardeners would be there to interfere with my plan. He has a drip system that is right at the base of each plant. We are good friends and he is 20 years younger and moved to Las Vegas from California 8 years ago. He is still trying to garden the California way but is learning the desert way. He asks every weekend how is the competition going and I say, YOU ARE LOSING, LOL......
I know, get with the story. Anyway, I got one of the old time small sprinklers that just put out a slow, low trickle of water. I deep watered each oleander for 24 hours. There are 5. Then I got into the inside of the plant, tore the hell out of my arms. I trimmed out all the dead wood, opened up the canopy so the breeze and air could flow through the bushes. There was more dead wood inside than alive. After the intense watering, I feed them and then deep watered again. The neighbors came back from Europe and noticed I had cleaned out some of the dead branches in the oleanders. I had worked on their landscaping before, so it was not a surprise. I did not mention the aggressive watering. I knew the root ball was so dried that the water was just running by to nowhere. Once the root ball got wet, it started absorbing all the nutrients I laid down, and probably some he had laid down earlier plus the moisture. They burst into new growth and bloom and have bloomed all summer. Since we are neighbors and I back wash our Koi pond during the summer once a week, I give these oleanders some of the fish emulsion water. He is at work during the day and his wife is at the "Club" so they did not know about the extra water. This water used to go down the sewer drain. That is a lot of water. I got smart a couple of years ago and that water
now goes back into the landscape. About a month ago he said over the oleanders, can you believe how wonderful these are doing this year. I said, "Isn't that amazing". I am on the Board for the HOA and in charge of landscape and liaison with the contracted landscapers. I told them about my experiment so we tried it on the border oleanders on the greenbelt. Again, all we had to do was get the root ball wet then the regular watering system took over from there. You must understand that from November 1 thru end of March, we can only water once a week. The landscapers and I have also now arrived at the same conclusion for the Roses in the greenbelt. We deep watered them and they thought they had been moved to Hawaii and started to grow. I had always done this at the beginning of spring but did not know no one else did so. LOL. Now they think I am a genius. No, just some one with a lot of common sense and I love to fix gardening problems. Where do I find all those wonderful oleanders in those wonderful colors?

And in a vase..

Thumbnail by brical1

Gee skwinter,Aren't your neighbours lucky to have you ....I wish I had you as mine!!LOL.
You are so right...all as they need is to be cared for.You must be a real treasure to your HOA!!
You should have no trouble finding these or similar in nurseries..I know there is an oleander(nerium) society in Galveston and they also grow well in california, florida, arizona and other states in the south.There are many more shades and colours than what I have shown...I have seen some real beauties...I am currently searching for some soft yellows..I know they are out there.I have a couple of others too,a pure single white which I grew from seed and a lovely rosey pink single(same colour as the double pink).Have you seen any of them grown as standards?...just stunning when in bloom and also as a hedge of the same colour.There are some homeowners here who have used the double white standard as a hedge..a sight to behold when in full bloom!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I will keep my eyes open for you the soft yellows and let you know who has them. I have not seen oleanders in a hedge but one Golf HOA has them as trees. That is very pretty but they are only about three years old and just getting started. Actually, I am the treasure of our HOA Board. LOL. I am a retired JP Morgan Chase Vice President and am suppose to be able to read a balance sheet. I put myself in charge with the landscapers. I have two dogs I walk everyday so I have full view of the greenbelt everyday. They actually say thank you for my help. I been working with the landscapers for 6 years. They are just lucky I am not a whiny #&%^*(&^ instead of just a passionate gardener. I will let you know what colors I can find for the greenbelt. This a photo of my front landscape from street view.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Alstonville, Australia

G'Day Skwinter, your garden looks beautiful.
Brical1, I too love the oleanders you have some beauties, they are an old fashioned plant but a
goodie. If they grow in Tallimba and Coonamble they'll grow anywhere.

Thumbnail by hel

Beautiful Ollies Judy ...very underated and not really used correctly
in many places they are grown in big pots and lolly popped as you said italian gardeners are masters at that., they look wonderful done that way.
skwinter love your place ...the rockwork is also so very beautiful,
I like the soft fragrance too, wash your hands after handling them, I rubbed my eye as a child and required an operation, it has not stopped me from loving them though.

As Chrissy said ,Skywinter ...your place is beautiful!But where does your water supply come from to support your lovely lush gardens?If I didn't know you lived in a desert I would never have guessed!!!.Thankyou also for keeping an eye out for me..I am searching here too.More and more people are again rediscovering them...I am just one of many!
Chrissy,I have heard that said too,that the Italians & Greeks grow them beautifully in pots and as standards...they would do so well there too being native to the mediteranium region.
I agree about always washing your hands after handling them ...as much as I love them I will always be aware of their toxicity .

Thumbnail by brical1

Hi Hel..Yeah they're tough alright!!.I see you also have a variegated umbrella (schefflerra) too.I just bought another couple today...there are some lovely strains out there...I have 4 different ones ..I just can't get enough !!

I thought you might like to look at this ...very interesting.
http://www.oleander.org/culture.html

Merino, Australia

How do you people grow such beautiful Oleanders. I have seen some spectacular ones over the years, in all climates
They grow like weeds elsewhere. They will not grow here.
I'll have to drool over all yours brical. They are really lovely.
Jean

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Yes, we do have a water shortage here in the west. I double mulch and have an slow drip system on the majority of the landscape. Actual;ly I had the water POLICE stop by here several times because they saw the lush landscape. They read the meter box and came to the conclusion that I was not using a large amount of water. I had our irrigation system totally updated and installed drip in the majority of the landscape, They found major breaks in the main irrigation lines. They workied on them, for several weekends and then they were completed. It brought my water expense down by 59
%. Five weeks later we had a reduction in pressure in the back landscape and found a California Pepper Tree had moved the main line of a two inch valve and it was leaking every time the station was turned on. I kid with the water meter readers and they appreciates my sense of humor. One afternoon a young man was coming toward the meter and I told him, "Stop Right There. There is a contiguous disease on this property and you should not enter. When he turned to leave the property, I told him I was only kidding and he could read the meter but please be gentle. He laughed and now he rings the door bell to let me know he is on the property and he will be gentle.
He told me some homeowners actually curse at him. I think he thinks I am his Grandmother. He is about 25 and I am 66. My goal in life is to make someone everyday laugh and see what is around them.. This is a picture of a pier in the San Diego area. They had wrapped the pillars with stuffing and canvas. I have no reason why. But God and Mother Nature made these pillars works of art. I stood there for many minutes and beach combers just strolled by. I could not believe they could not see what I was seeing. ENJOY!!!!!!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Another View

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

One last view. These Pillars are at Mission Beach just north of the amusement court by the roller coaster. I think it is life guard station 29. Enjoy.....

Jean,They really aren't hard to grow...I am happy to send you some cuttings if you would like to give them a go.
Skwinter,you made me laugh reading your post!!Poor little meter man...scaring him like that!!Lol.We have the water police here too!!...we have water restrictions...only allowed to water 3 times per week for an hour only...One fellow takes his job very seriously...all dressed up in his official uniform...he reads the parking meters too..and is not popular at all!..it is all in his demeanor...he has had to have lessons in communicating skills!!!LOL
You have a lovely happy outlook on life...good on ya!
The pillars look like a palm trunk!

Merino, Australia

Thanks brical. I would like to try some cuttings but I don't know how they would go.once planted out. It may be that they just don't like the soil here. I have tried them in various areas around the garden . I still have 1 left that looks healthy but does not seem to get any bigger.
I really like them and planted them because they are so hardy and grow well Ha ha.
It could be that they need more water during the early years of growth than they were getting.
It would be interesting to try again, and I have the greenhouses for cuttings etc now.
I would appreciate some to try.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Ok Jean,Tell me which ones and I will post out to you next week(don't want them sitting in a p.o over the weekend)

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Judy the cuttings you sent me of the oleanders, are doing wonderfully....the great thing about oleanders are, that the possums don't like them and they look so lush and healthy......thanks again Judy....can't wait to see the red one in flower :~)

Hi Mya....I'm pleased you're happy with them ..what do you think of this newer one I have posted at the top of the thread...I have the cuttings in and will be anxiously watching them over the next couple months...it is a stunner lol!!

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Oleanders are true champions! they grow without water and are used extensivly in California. The closest thing to the plumeria (closly related and the same plant family). In the desert they plant them along hiways so that the sand dune areas and the wind is deflected.

Thumbnail by LApalms

No wonder I love Oleanders....same plant family as the old Frangipani....who would have thought!!!!!!

And adeniums Mya!!LoL
Edited to correct spelling!

This message was edited Dec 9, 2008 8:48 AM

Yes, but where do the Angels come into this :~))))) LOL

Single rosey pink...same colour as the double

Thumbnail by brical1

Judy, just won this on ebay

a dwarf cherry.......

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=290299652555

and another one Souvenir de Cazalis Alluf.....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=290299675362

have you got them? ,if not I can send you one of each ,also I have cute little desert rose seedlings, needing a home,if you're interested.

Good to see you posting again......

Judy, just wondering if there are any Orange oleanders? Have you been able to get any seeds from overseas?Any restrictions?

Also got this fabulous grafting tool which I will use to graft some of the different coloured oleanders on the weed yellow oleanders growing around our property....can't wait to try this.....got a bung knee at present, so am having to curtail my garden activities.........

This message was edited Mar 8, 2009 11:32 PM

Very pretty Mya,...I am pleased for you.Thanks for the offer you are too kind but I will wait until they grow well for you then I might take a cutting.

Thumbnail by brical1
Barmera, Australia

G'Day Myac, When you start grafting you might find it useful to have a vernier gauge or set of calipers so you can match the size of stock and scion. Failing them a few steel washers about 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16" and 5/8" use these by fitting the appropriate size over the stock then find a scion that fits the same washer. After some practise you can judge the size without the measuring devices but to start they could be helpful.
Regards Brian

Thanks Brian,that's a good idea.I was practising with the new gadget,wonderful tool ,did the cuts so clean and without any effort and saw what the cambrium looks like,thanks for the lessons....I've cut and pasted your lessons and printed out and have reread it a few times, so am quite confident with the basics now.....thanks again.

barmera, Australia

Hello Myac. I was wondering if that yellow oleander is the same type as the others, eg grows the same or does it sucker everywhere and is a real nuisance. It probably wouldn't be as bad down here anyway. I would love some pieces as I have never seen a yellow one. Thanking you. Colleen

Hi Colleen

You are very welcome to cuttings but read below...... it is closely related to the nerium oleander so this would be for me a good experiment to cross pollinate with nerium or even try to graft, even though they aren't the same species......I am going to try, even to get in a little practise on grafting.Just DMail me your address and I'll get on to it next week.

..............Thevetia peruviana is a plant probably native to Mexico and Central America and a close relative to Nerium oleander. It is an evergreen tropical shrub or small tree that bears yellow or oragnge-yellow, trumpet like flowers and its fruit is deep red/black in color encasing a large seed that bears some resemblance to a Chinese "lucky nut." Its seed casing is extremely hard and may require scarification so we know it suffers from an exogenous dormancy. What is not known is if it has any endogenous dormancies. It contains a milky sap containing a compound called thevetin that is used as a heart stimulant but in its natural form is extremely poisonous, as are all parts of the plants, especially the seeds. Its leaves are long, lance shaped and green in colour. Leaves are covered in waxy coating to reduce water loss (typical of oleanders). Its stem is green turning silver/gray as it ages. Can be grown as shrub or tree outside in warmer climates but in frost prone areas best brought back inside for winter. Will tolerate most kinds of soil as long as they are well drained and is situated in full sun in a sheltered area. Useful as a landscaping plant in warmer climates as it does not need much maintenance.

Propagate by seed in spring (clean seed coat in a glass containing 10% bleach 90% warm water for 2-3min; after wash seed and soak in warm water for 24h). Can also propagate from cuttings in spring-early summer with hardwood cuttings. For both use a seed/cutting compost that contains perlite.........

Thumbnail by MyaC
Christchurch, New Zealand

I can remember oleanders growing in Auckland & saw plenty in Sydney.
Always surprised me to see them planted in school yards.
I was told they were deadly poison & never to touch them...
the flowers were pretty though.
Don't think I have seen any in ChCh.
We get some cracker frosts here, would that be why?
cheers - T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.