A THANKSGIVING GIFT FOR YOU

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

http://www.eatdrinkordie.com/videos/01453e1700/fruit-turkey-from-kissing

This message was edited Nov 25, 2008 7:51 PM

AND WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH THAT

..........Try this. This is flower turkey #2. Number one arrived last year.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

The link you provided did not work, but I love your flower turkey! Pretty Fall colors were used in the arrangement, plus ornamental grass for its tail. Plus, no turkey's were harmed in the process!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Doc, that link isn't working.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!!!
http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=HY27482779

The link has been fixed. Sorry....I got my eyetooth wrapped around my brains....Could not see what I was thinking.

Tomorrow we are going to put a whooping on a turduck.

I put a little spazaz on a used plastic pot. The rest is from my property except the flowers $3.99 at the green grocers. The head is a piece of half inch foam painted and flocked with brown flocking, shaker eyes out of a junk box of my treasures, a pinch of red ribbon and a last year's christmas ribbon bow. Making just one is a pain. Would be better to set up and make a couple dozen for a flea market. There's my chance next year for a little pocket change.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, that is a great turkey you did a very nice job, loved the link, too. Enjoy your turduck tomorrow.
Jen, your card was adorable.
Well here is my turkey. It's ceramic and I painted it several years ago. Ric does the arrangements some years it's fresh flowers but this year it's all artificial. Parents children and grandchildren will all be here tomorrow diner for 12 at my house. Ric is baking pies today.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Nice piece of ceramic work. I never got into that much but I did play with my mom's stuff.....many years ago.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Nice turk, doc. You're so right, every craft would be almost as easy to make ten times as makign one. I coul see Purple Majesty millet heads looking very nice for tail feathers.

Yes that Purple Millet would have been nice for sure. However I did not save any this year. The mice loved the opportunity and the birds cleaned up the millet in short order.

I had some millet seeds of yours and someone else too. I had babies but then an accident-fried them. But I will try it again from the two seed heads I produced and saved!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey!!! Are we posting hand-made Turkeys??????

Been sending this on to a few people just today. I made it last year--as well as the Pilgrims and the Indian Maidens.....

I posed them in this nice picture and I want to say:

"Peace and Harmony among all of us"--and a smooth Seasonal transgression!
Ahem...like, Thanksgiving to Christmas......hence the Poinsettias.....:o)

I made all of these--last year.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Unfortunately--by now--the turkey is GONE!!!!! ..smacking my lips......

Still--wishing you all love! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gee those ittle people are nice. That would be a good kid project if we still had the garment industry to provide the bodies.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Doc....

This was NOT a "kid project"!!!!! It was VERY difficult to make--and it took 2 whole sessions to do both of these--with adults!
For one--the bodies are felt-covered Styrofoam cones---and the heads are the same--except they are "padded" with batting and then covered in stocking material to give them a skin color.....then the nose is shaped from the same.....then, some make-up applied to the cheeks.
The arms have pipe cleaners as support--and for flexibility--all glue-gunned at the back of the neck. The hat is also made out of cut-out felt pieces--and you have to cut them out just so. Lots of glue gun use---not recommended for kids......

It may look simple--but it is not! If I told you the details--it would blow you away!

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita those are really cute. You certainly are creative.

Gita..........I can see that you have almost perfect construction and finish. That having been said I also understand very well how adults who missed good Scout training and Junior High School Art with quality teachers and scout leaders would really enjoy the project. Geese some schools have literally no art and craft training at all. How can adults teach if they have not learned along the way?

Another factor few understand is the cost today to pull off a nice project like this. It is no more scraps and second hand materials. When I was teaching we saved stuff....tons of stuff from all kinds of industrial dumpsters. They are no more so we pay the international markets for almost everything.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

doc,
Figuring ouit how to make that turkey was even more difficult!
I had NO step-by-step instructions to go by, just my own perfectionist noggin to figure it out and make a prototype. Even user REAL, wild turkey feathers for the tail!

Here is a better view of it.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gita the real turkey feathers make it very pretty. I read once that a wild turkey can look just like a domesticated turkey, except the wild turkey tail feathers will have buff-brown tips and the domesticated will have white tips. So, there you go.

Great turkey project. One of the nicest I have seen. That pine cone is a treasure cove of parts that when held indivually is the face and head of Woody Woodpecker. You can thank the Western Boy Scouts for seeing the source of hundreds of neckerchief slides. I saw them first at the National Boy Scout Jamboree held at Valley Forge, Pa. They were great swap items made up by scouts attendending the jamboree.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gita, I LOVE your pilgrims and turkey, I am sooo not crafty so I really appreciate when people can make things with their own hands.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally,
Besides the tips being brown, there is also a lot of iridescence to the feathers.
The ones I used for this turkey are NOT the big, long feathers in the tail, but rather the smaller ones from wherever.....
I have a bunch of the big ones...a girl i work with hunts turkeys. I got them from her....

Here's looking at ya, Kid!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Your Turkey and friends are beautiful!! Nice job!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.