Sego palm - need seed advice and ID please

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

can anyone please tell me when is the right time to harvest seeds of sago palms?

the ones i have access to have giant golden blooms filled with HUGE pink, pollen covered seeds inside of them.

i will also be grateful to have the variety of sago palm identified for me.

thanks in advance for any and all advce from experienced folks.

ATBTY ~ ~ ŁazŁo

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

here is a closer view of that blossom.

Thumbnail by LazLo
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

variety? There is only one variety of Sago palm. Unless you are referring to sex (that is a female). Seeds are only going to be viable if there has been some pollinator around and a male in cone somewhere nearby about the same time.

Austin, TX

The only cycad called Sago Palm is Cycas revoluta---it's very commonly planted in the Austin area. The photo you sent is of a female cone---not a blossom---cycads don't have flowers, they are not flowering plants. Palmbob's right---the only way to get viable seeds is if there was a male plant with cones nearby. The seeds are located on the inner side of those leaflike sporophylls that make up the cone---the seeds are large and turn bright red as they mature. You ought to check out the Hartman Prehistoric Garden in Zilker Park if you're interested in cycads.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

And be careful when you go picking those seeds. I discovered I might be allergic to them after I had picked 30 or so one day. Afterwards, my arms felt like I had worked with fiberglass and were red with raised, itchy, red welts.

Next time: Gloves and long sleeves!

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

envious of your ability to collect seeds from them...they don't exactly grow alot of them around here...LOL

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

if anyone is interested i have a lot of these sago palm seeds available for good trades, pls see my WANT list and get me in DMail if you want to trade or get for postage and SAE.

~ Łaz

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

I have male pups if anyone wants, small to medium sizes.
Here's parent plant picture.

Thumbnail by wormfood

me me me...I'm silly but I love the palms...wonder If I got a palm big enough if I could grow my passie, or a climbing rose on one? now wouldn't that be a funky combination?

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

You know they're Sago Palms, right?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/140226/
This was large when planted in 1971.

I have a miniture rose that is a climber doesn't get too big or bushy that would look cool planted growing around that....

Hey that is awesome....that one would stay small enough to be planted in the planthouse and not have to worry about moving it!

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

I have mini roses that never bloom. And yes you can have, how many? There are a couple of big ones. About the size of grapefriut. The smaller ones have set root already. Have like 40 or more small to medium.

mini's that never bloom? isn't that kind of the reason you buy roses, for the bloom? I have plenty of mini's that bloom if you want some cuttings

and I will take anything you want to send, just let me know the postage and I will pay you for that

Lake Charles, LA

Does anyone know how long it takes for Sago palm pups to root? What conditions do I need to root these pups?

Lake Charles, LA

I was wondering how long it takes for Sago Palm pups to root. We have removed tons of them.

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

Make sure they are dry, a couple of days. Then I soak them in MG Quickstart a couple of minutes, say 10. Then I plant them almost on top of the soil then water them with the rest of whats left of the quickstart and don't touch them. In maybe 2 months they will have roots starting and then you will see a shoot of green palm come up. That's my way. There are other ways.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

You sent me two seeds.. I planted them in February.. here they are this am.. Aren't they so cute?

Thumbnail by joeswife
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

very, very cute, Debra! thanks for letting me get a look!

Los Angeles, CA

I was at the Huntington yesterday and they had Cycas Circinalis also called Sago Palm. Whey would the be? They also had the Revoluta called the Sago Palm which it is. This was in the area of the the Owner's Home the area of the cycad collection.

noonamah, Australia

Sago Palm is a real palm, Metroxylon sagu, and is used to produce the staple food in New Guinea and parts of south east Asia. Cycas revoluta has improperly been called Sago Palm and the name has stuck. Which leads to the point that common names are rarely helpful and often misleading. Because Cycas circinalis looks a bit like Cycas revoluta someone has extended the name "Sago palm" to it as well. But because there's no "authority" for common names they're not really right or wrong names, they're just common names.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.