Show us your poppy garden

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

nope.. the only thing I have are the peachy orange with purple centers.. some bloom singles and some look like a carnation... I can get lots of seeds.. a neighbor across the street from my parents has a little group of them growing also. I got my original seed from there.. hers are seeding now. They come back on their own every year at her house. Mine will have seeds ready soon also.

Symsonia, KY(Zone 6b)

its not much of a poppy garden, but here they are. i think these are the annual type? i scattered them last spring after the seed pod was ripe. the plants are about 4 feet tall. i was wanting the oriental type, but these are nice too.

Thumbnail by pandora125
Edisto Island, SC(Zone 8b)

those are beautiful pandora...how long do the blooms last? only one or two days on mine...sigh....virginia

Symsonia, KY(Zone 6b)

thanks, virginbred, yes they last 2-3 days at most

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This one is ready to go. So cool to catch this.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

beahive!!! that is one gorgeous pic!!! congrats! what kind of camera are you using? just spectacular...looks like screen saver material to me...virginia

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi all. Awesome pic BeaHive!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I use a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2. This is not a pocket camera, but it also is not a huge heavy camera. It has many great features , including auto focus, a built in macro setting, 12 x zoom.

Hope to have a picture of that poppy in bloom soon.!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Cool indeed!!! Great photo... it would be fun to have time lapse photos of that for a screen saver. Thanks for sharing.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Just checked up on the pretty poppy . It has lost his little hat and is starting to unfurl.
The sun is hitting it now,so not the best picture. Will check it again in an hour or so. The center is awesome on this one.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

if i had emoticons they'd be clapping!!! great shot!!!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Checked on it and it has not opened any further. Tomorrow will be the day and no rain in sight so it will not get ruined! To be continued tomorrow!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

First "Beauty of Livermere". I'm so excited!!!

Thumbnail by stormyla

beautiful!

Louisville, KY

Beautiful indeed.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

stormyla..beautiful shot of your Livermore. That was what I was trying to achieve with my earlier post. That poppy never opened completely. When I went to check it agan this evening one of the petals had fallen. Darn!

I was able to get a shot of this red fire chief blooming. It is so pretty. Small but dramatic!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

An Iceland after a cool drink. It was warm today.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

what's the deal??? all you poppy growers have fantastic photography skills!

Symsonia, KY(Zone 6b)

i didn't realize there were so many different kinds!...and they are all just gorgeous....

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you everyone! Beahive your blooms are always fantastic!

Beahive & Virginbred, In my case any photos that turn out well are just dumb luck, not skill. Although I do notice a remarkable improvement since upgrading cameras. I use the same camera as Beahive, but I almost always use the "for dummies" setting!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Beahive, That shot of your Red Chief really is beautiful.

This one showed up this morning. These are planted between the shrubs in my front shrub bed. I grew them from seed last year. Unfortunately, the tag was destroyed when a squirrel got into my cold frame and wrecked havoc on my seedlings.

I lost 2 of these plants earlier this month . They drowned in that constant rain. It's Ok, There are still 8 left.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This is "Allegro"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

stomyla..shhh don't tell anyone but I still use the automatic macro settings. It is just less trouble and the pictures turn out nice without all the fuss.

I went to Schreiners Iris gardens today and besides beautiful Bearded Iris they had poppies..poppies..poppies everwhere.

Here are some red ones, sorry they were not labeled but just huge.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

These were lovely together.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

These almost looked like silk flowers. They were just starting to open.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This one was cute. A rosy color.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Found a few still wearing their sleeping caps.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

And this pretty yellow one. The base of the flower is pretty on this one.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This group had a pinkish hue to them.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This iceland was very sparkly in the center. The yellow reminded me of those easter peeps!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

These were a butter yellow and very frilly.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Beahive, What gorgeous poppies! I really like the reds with the Allium. Might be tricky to find two varieties that would bloom simultaneously.

That white with the pastel flowers looks great too. Your secret is safe with me. My camera is actually DSC-H50 a slightly different version.

Another Allegro opening today. I love the dark threads at the bloom base.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Louisville, KY

Bea al of yur poppies are beautiful but that yellow one is in a clss by it self... Can y ou tell me what kind it is ? The only yellow poppy I knoe of is the celandine poppy and thats not that. It is beautiful.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Time.. I am not sure what type of poppy it is. These pictures were taken at Schreiners Iris's in Salem OR. I do wish they were in my garden!! They sure are pretty and unusual. I plan to go back there soon, so if I see a grounds keeper I will ask.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

A pretty one blooming in the garden right now. Blooms are as big as a Peony.

Thumbnail by DonM47
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Very lovely bloom, Don.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice poppies everyone
Some of my "direct sown" poppies didnt make it.Shirlies did,the ones in seed balls.
Somniferums are bursting forth and Heritage was just opening last last afternoon, I'm hoping for more than 1 bloom at sunrise today.
Here are my Shirlies.I love the way they seem to make 2 different colors on one plant.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Orientals
Corel reef

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Prince of Orange I think

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Royal wedding.
I ordered this from Garden Crossings.It came in May with a bud on it and opened and bloomed within 2 weeks.

Thumbnail by ge1836

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.