Show us your poppy garden

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a poppy from my old house.It was a small garden outside my studio.This poppy couldnt be abused more If I burnt it.
I divided it many times and just made more plants from the tinny root pieces left behind.

Not the greateat display but the new poppies in my new house gardens will be great I just know it.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2008 7:15 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

My Blue Breadseed poppies

Thumbnail by artemiss
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

My Lauren's Grape poppies

Thumbnail by artemiss
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That Laurens Grape is one husky plant.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

one of several

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

'nother of several

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

and this one

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

next to last

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

the end at last

Thumbnail by balvenie
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The first ones look like the poppies Heirlooms I just ordered from seedscompany

Columbia Station, OH(Zone 5a)

This is the one I had on here before because I didn't know what it was...it was a breadseed and the second and future blooms were full peony types. I actually like this semi bloom better.

Thumbnail by gammy3
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the "whole garden view" of this poppy.
I also think the blooms are more interesting shapes when they are partially open.
They arent called blasted for nothing when they are fully open.
You also just know the petals will drop off soon when in full bloom, as sad day all around.

Here is the second bloom ....

Thumbnail by gammy3
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW that one is great.

Balvenie,,that blue poppy is so beautiful....I have never seen a blue on in real life.....you are so lucky.
Here is myfavorite.....

Thumbnail by gammy3
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What are those little pink flowers around it?

Here is another I really liked.....

I hope everyone shows us their pretties..I just love poppies!,,,and I love to look at them.

Thumbnail by gammy3

GE1836...the flowers in the background are coriopsis
Sweet Dreams.....they are perennials and this past season was their 3rd year. The oddest thing this year was that in among them was a yellow coriopsis plant and a maroonish coriopsis. There were no other coriopsis around to serve as pollinators...so I wonder where those colors came from....some sort of inner trait thing..maybe?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Got a nice big bloom larger than my fist this morning.

Thumbnail by AustinRealtor
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Very pretty!! I have zone envy again.......

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Me too pixie..my poppies are but sprouts..

Thumbnail by artemiss
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Are those sprouts Orientals?

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

The little sprouts are winter-sown somniferum..either Breadseed or Lauren's Grape. I have to get the little pots in the ground soon, since they really don't like having their roots disturbed.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just checked my Orientals and there are some germinated.
The Victoria Louise's are going like gangbusters.
The shoots are so small I dont have a lense to shoot them.
Royal Wedding and Corel Reef are showing a shoot or two also.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Just had a hail storm. . the next pic was this morning.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Same group of poppies this morning.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OMG How horrible.Those are beauties at any time.
I hope you have other comming on that wont meet the same fate.
We usually have a fierce wind storm in May when the Oriental Poppies are blooming and all the petals get shredded.

Louisville, KY

These are some unknown poppies. As you can seeonly a part of the flat germinated. I had poor results from my winter sowing this year. I learned these lessons. (1 ) Dont use these little cups for winter sowing they dry out too fast. (2) Keep winter sown flats in a shady area. I suspect this is some form of bienniel poppy though what I dont know. My oritental poppies are huge fans of leaves right now so I will post them when they flower.

Thumbnail by timeinabottle
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sooooo sorry about your winter sown poppies.
Thanks for sharing your misses as well as the hits.It sure benefits me.
I bought some seed balls from a DG'er and believe these are what has come up.
I posted on plant ID but had no-one who could ID because the plants were too small.
I looked at my photos of "wintersow" areas and the Shirly doubles are in the area where I just found emerging plants.

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I am happy to see your poppies.. I was weeding my garden and was a bit over zealous and before I realized it had pulled my poppies... can't believe it.. I was pulling one of the last few before I realized I had been pulling poppies! They looked soooo much like some of the weeds that grow here. I have maybe 3 left ... maybe next year. At least I get to see yours.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sorry about your poppies and
SORRY I didnt return to this thread to say the above picture is NOT poppies.
Its Mugwort a terrible weed.
I thought they were too vigerous and pretty.
I also cinfirmed my suspetions by looking in other gardens where I had planted Shirlies and there are non - - -WHY? - - - because its too early for germination, thats why.
My guess is about another two weeks of warm weather and warmer nights too will bring on those little bluegreen leaves.
Take extra care of the ones you have left and hope for self sow for next year.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 1:29 PM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I'll share. This is my first season with blooms and it won't be my last. Anything this easy deserves my neglect.

No idea on ID ~ gifted from a friend years ago and I finally got around to sowing them at the right time of year!

Not enough coffee...

How about a photo!

Thumbnail by podster

Odd but after a good hard rain, I found the blooms had turned a paler, different color.

Thumbnail by podster
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks like somniferums to me. My direct sow's have come up. All but the Shirlies and they are so far back in the new garden I cant get close enough to see. IslandMohns in a planter arent doing much but really tieeeeny green things that could be any plant. If they are a failure I'll just put red Lantanas in there.

Thank you for the id on this poppy. This friend is in his mid 70s and the seeds were found in his Mamas' freezer after she passed on. He remembered her growing them when he was around 10. I was amazed they even sprouted. And now, these are done blooming. They bloomed all of April.

Look forward to seeing y'alls blooms when they begin! pod

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We'll have blooms in late may and june up here by lake Ontario near the Canadian border.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I hope you collect some of the seeds.. makes them special that they survived so long.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I once had a carpet of Moss Rose(portulikas) in my front yard. The seeds actually kept germinating and growing for years.Everytime I would turn over the soil and plant something different there would be rogue mossrose here and there.
They have the ability to remain in suspension until conditions are right. Maybe Poppies are the same way.

Yes, I am amazed at how durable seeds can be. These poppy seeds are only one example.

I am hoping to harvest seed for future plantings and trades. Hopefully y'all can offer advise on the best time to harvest and resow
as I am new to these blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.