Welcome KashtanGeorge from Sochi, Russia Part IV

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

FOR THOSE, WHO FORGOT WHAT THE REAL HERO LOOKS LIKE!!!

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

I have some other interests currently. That's why I'm poping in quite rarely.

Nevertheless, I do regard ye'all as my real friends, I managed to find on DG.

I'm sorry, but I really believe, that Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the real hero in the US history.
May be this topic is not that much garden related, but I do believe once it was not the last one, that helped us garden now!

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi George, Roosevelt gets too "iffy" for me. Dave has a rule that his gardeners not discuss politics. Roosevelt gets a little political for me.

We feel the same way as you -- you are our real friend and I love chatting with you. You have interesting photos. They spur my curiousity about you, your travels, and your country. I am not well-traveled. What I know is only what I read or see on TV, but I am thirsty for first-hand information.

Anyhoo, that's a cool rhino! Glad my head is not in that mouth!!!

Martha

Hi Martha! That is the prehistoric rhino from Neogene and it lived about 15 mln. years ago.
The gardening at the time was way different for certain.

The scene in St.Pete.

Walking last night in St.Pete.

The view on the Neva river and the Academy of fine arts.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Oh, the snow scene in St. Pete is beautiful, especially the horses. I think the horses enhance the photo, don't you.

Next image - Walking in St. Pete. Looks like Americ with your crowded traffic. That's the 21 Century for you! Do you reside downtown?

The Neva with the Academy backgrounds is so calming and serene. Beautiful with night lights.

I bought a digital microscope. Clockwise, starting from top left, in the photo below:

Beetle ventral abdomen (the beetle is really too large for a high magnification of the microscope);
Petunia seeds (actually the size of a pin point)
Fennel seeds
Triple Yellow Datura seeds.

Martha

This message was edited Feb 1, 2009 5:55 AM

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Forgot the pic!!!!!

Thumbnail by mwperry
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

George, is the river frozen? Seems like this time last year, you posted a photo and the river was frozen solid. Lovely pictures...as always!

Wow, Martha, neat picture! Looks like you will be having lots of fun with your new toy.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi, Kim. I LOVE new toys!

Martha

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I think I got lost! LOL I've been so darn busy I don't have time for myself! Oh fiddle, I just hit something on my keyboard that made me lose both the top toolbar and the bottom toolbar. ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr

Gorgeous pictures George! So what is your interest right now? DG is a great place to find real friends. I was told the other day that Everyone has an account on Facebook. I don't have an account on Facebook and don't really plan on getting one either, I have all I need right here.

Martha that is a cool toy!

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Crissy. I'm not planning on joining Facebook either. I don't want my information out there!

Martha

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I am not a facebooker either ;o)

So, who wants to stay the night with me tomorrow night??

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I've got room here. If you want to escape!!! No storm shelter here thought we would drown if we had a storm shelter.

My shelter is in the ground with the door raised up a little on top of the little hill in our yard.

I hope, Ye'all had the great St. Valentine's day!

Here's the pic of the Czech antique jewellery with garnets at the exhibition in St. Petersburg.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Very nice Valenltine's Day here, George.

Beautiful Garnets! Does it say who the lucky woman was?

Martha

Nope, I have no clue, alas! I wish it were a gift for ye'all for that special day!
What have ye'all been up to lately?
Last day, I visited the St.Pete's Botanical G!!!!- the pix follow soon!

Here's some amber with the prehystoric fauna.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Interesting amber. Looks like an insect akin to the common housefly.

Oh goodie, pix from St. Pete's Botanical Gardens!

How's the weather there across the world? Signs of spring are in the air here. Yesterday a flock of 35 or 40 Cedar Waxwings landed in my Washington Hawthorn tree to eat the berries. They were beautiful. I watched them for about 30 minutes til flew away. I should have taken pix, but I was too spellbound.

Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

St. Valentine day was a tough day for us ... Though the climate here was not too bad for a Feb. day. Hi Martha, hi George. No Gems or anything special here but your friend from across the miles -- me. ^_^ Here is a view of the "Sleeping Giant" mountain not too far from where I live.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi, Kim. Nice view of the Sleeping Giant. The Giant looks asleep right now. The pines cloaking the borders are the only green trees. My Washington Hawthorne is putting out young leaves. Can you believe that?

Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Martha, not only W. hawthorne sending out leave buds. Shadblow in our area has begun to bloom! I didn't believe my eyes when I saw them. Snowy white blossoms all over the places. Actually, it's difficult to tell the difference between the Shadblow's blossoms and W. Hawthorne's from afar.

George, I'm looking forward to see more pix from you. Thanks for sharing.
Kim

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Kim, I must look up Shadblow. I've never heard of it, but I've probably seen it before. Unfortunately, I'm not well-educated in tree identity. Just know the ones in my own backyard, so you know how limited that is! LOL

Martha

Edited to say I just looked up Shadblow in Plant Files. It has beautiful berries, much prettier than W. Hawthorn berries.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 12:01 PM

Great picture Kim2.

There's my turn.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

George, GORGEOUS! The architecture is absolutely elegant.

Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Agreed! Beautiful winter sight! Hi Martha, hi George.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Love the fence!!! There was a lot of love put into that masterpiece!!!

Ok, I've been gone from this thread entirely too long! Love all of the pictures, especially the horses at St. Pete. The gems are very cool!

Kim that looks like some mountains we have around here! We have one, Mt. Magazine, that's flat on top.

The Feb. in St.Petersburg for Kim1.

Another one from Russia.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

George, the snow scenes with the Mallards are exquisite. You are fortunate to have such a beautiful country.

It will be 77° here tomorrow. Can you believe that?

Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Martha, spring is near! Spring is near!!! Wow, George the beautiful scenery and the snow how awesome!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Love the Mallards on the snow, very nice George

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Yessssssssssssssss, Kim. Spring is near! Umm, your hyacinths are intoxicating!

Martha

Yay Spring!!!

Oh, Martha, yessss! I can believe in 77 even in Feb. I have houses in too much hemispheres. Lol.Kim
Kim2, magnificent flowers and smell! When did you plant the bulbs of those?

The main point by now:

Happy New Spring!!!!!!!!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi George, how are you doing these days? The spring blooming bulbs typically are planted in the Fall.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

All of the sudden photos when from show to springtime! I love it!

Martha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

....spring! Or sight of spring....(this was a day or two ago).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.