weather!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I took this about 10 minutes ago. Last Friday, the temp hit 70. It started snowing on Sunday. I waded through snow up to my hips just before I took the pic. Ah, lake effect.

Thumbnail by Kathleen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

WOW, that's a lot of snow.

You should post your pic here too.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/924033/

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Grief!! My condolences!!!!!!!

love is in the air

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

It was 25 degrees when I left Bridgeport this morning at 7:30. Guess there won't be fresh herbs for Thanksgiving this year.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow!! Sorry to see that Kathleen.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Ugh!
Snow!
I know it's not too far away for me either. I feel so sorry for you Kathleen. Did you lose power?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm not sure what is the appropriate thing to say here. I want to say, "Wow, that's awesome. Beautiful! Aren't you lucky?" I have a feeling that's not the right thing to say. We have been in the teens and twenties all week. No snow. We are freezing our tuchases off in what is mildly explained as a "jet stream of cooler air". On the other hand, I can't imagine what it must be like to get animals out to do their business, kids off to school, or off to work in that weather. I have never even negotiated anything like that in my life! Hope you melt soon.
Laurel

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Hope you are safe and warm!! We have but a trace here north of you.

It does looks beautiful!

There will be plenty of skiing this weekend, for sure! All waxed up here and ready to go!

Fingers are crossed it remains manageable ...... and maybe moves a bit north for a day!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We did lose power for just a couple of hours in the middle of the night on Sunday. Otherwise, it has just been Stan keeping the driveways blown out so we can get all the necessary trucks in and out - feed trucks, milk trucks, salesmen who think they're going to catch the farmer home. It is beautiful, and not that uncommon, although going from the 70s to total lake effect whiteouts in the space of about 36 hours does make your head spin a bit.

(Zone 4a)

Holy crap!!!! That IS a lot of snow!!! You poor thing!!!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I feel your pain! I am in Elbridge. We have been getting an abnormal amount of snow and cold these last 4 days! Not hip deep though. Enough to plow and shovel though. The animals do not want to go out and when they have to its real quick. We have not lost any power, but we have a warning (lakeeffect snow) til tomorrow morning. My plow guy will have me out in time for church. LOL He is my brother-in-law! Good luck to you Kathleen! Keep warm and drink coacoa! MMMM! Good!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

MMMM! Hot chocolate! With whipped cream!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Yup, more snow over night last night. But the sun sure does shine all day. It actually feels nice. I dug out the chicken run and they are all out side. They enjoy it, maybe not as much as fall though! ;) This is looking off my back deck. Pretty vision of white.

Thumbnail by sewincircle
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sure looks like winter to me.
We dont have nearly that much snow.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh, but you will. You are central NY as well as I am. We have just been getting steady stuff. But always a sunny day. Do you ski? I wish I did. But instead I drink coacoa. hehehe.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Never skied.Affraid of broken bones

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Yup, me too! It does look like fun!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I made pottery for a living and couldn't risk being laid up for any amount of time.
It's sort of like being a farmer, who does the chores when he or she falls in the barn and breaks something that takes weeks to heal.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I hear ya there. I dont do pottery, I am a student (again) I am going back to school to be a High School teacher/Socail Studies with Masters in Special Ed. I still dont want to break anything...important! hehehe!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I skied once but the slopes were real icy and it was hard to stop, so I ended up having to fall down to stop before I took out the people at the bottom of the hill, spent the rest of the afternoon inside drinking cocoa, I love sledding/tubing though.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You poor people.... it's just freezing cold down here, not literally though I don't think. Not yet.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

How r u Carrielamont? It will be coldera and snowy soon enough right?

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Now calling for RAIN? Make up its mind!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

We're in for rain, today, too!

Glad we got some skiing in this weekend while it was fresh! It was prime. No broken bones, but I don't remember being so stiff and sore the next day .... :-

We were almost down in Kathleen's backyard. Foot and a half of snow, I think. Hope you kept warm!

Sure is pretty. Makes me think of that corny Thanksgiving sleigh song about goin' to granma's ....

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Over the hills and through the woods to Gramma's house we go...
Glad there were no broken bones! Stiffness can get worked out. :)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We have had, by unofficial measurement, 5 feet since last Sunday. The ground being warm yet, it is settling quite fast. At least two barns caved in in our neighborhood from the weight of snow on the roof. Stan did some shoveling on Saturday and is hoping it warms up enough for more to melt off before the rain makes it heavier.

No skiers here, although we do live about10 minutes from Peek'n Peak. Too much work to do on the farm!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Wow Kathleen! Thats alot of snow already, too bad about the barns.
Makes for a long winter starting this early doesn't it?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh yeah, I heard about the barn collapse in Sinclarville .... No fun, at all.

Didn't realize 5 foot had fallen by you! That's a snootful

We hit peekNpeak, holimont and holidayV

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh that is just horrible. We have no were near that. Perhaps a couple but not 5!
Those poor people. Were any people or animals injured? I sure hope not.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

The one in the news lost some cows .... but were able to save many more. tragic. Hard work by the fire crews in the dark snowy cold.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I was just doing dishes and had a thought! With 5 ft of snow...rain will make it heavier. I hope more people dont loose their barns! My DH was out yesterday pushing the snow off my coop. I dont have as much as you though!
my kids need new sleds! The blow up ones we got last year popped. They are fast but not very sturdy. This is good time to go. The snow will be slick! WEEEEEE!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's bad-back-making snow! What I am trying to say is that heavy snow like that makes bad backs - it's not light and fluffy as you expect it will be from the looks of it. And heavy snow makes bad backs worse!

Good for business if you're an orthopedist, chiropractor or physical therapist, I guess. Kathleen, is Stan able enough to be able to do those kinds of jobs you describe?

By all means, new sleds all around!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Thats for sure Carrie!!! I am in the wrong business! LOL

South Hamilton, MA

X-country ski instead of downhill? That is a lot of snow at once, bit by bit seems more manageable. still working on leaves here, rain predicted.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I have thought about X-country. I hear its good exercise! Hummmmm! Maybe I will get a pair of skis for Christmas. ;)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Stan is Stan - hard man to keep down. His ankle has heeled quite well, but there will always be the barometer effect. The cold bothers it a good deal.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ouch! Ray has the same problem with his back and the rain, and sounds like a similar personality, too!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice snow pic, Kathleen. Though I don't like winter much, I do like a good snowstorm. Something about it..... Don't like losing power, though. Wouldn't be bad for maybe a little while, a few hours maybe, or possibly a day, but not longer than that. I always like it when a blizzard keeps me home from work. I'm like a little kid hoping school will be canceled due to snow whenever I hear we are gonna got a good sized storm. In my line of work they do cancel for big storms, or we go home early, as we do a lot of driving.

When it comes to skiing, I'm afraid of broken bones, too. I do like drinking that hot cocoa, though. Yummy!

Karen

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

We would usually head up to Chestnut Ridge Park, here in Orchard Park, NY, so everyone can have the wintertime of their choice. Beautiful Lodge, with HUGE fireplaces and concessionary, Year-round camping, Cross-Country Skiing, Downhill Skiing, Sledding Hills, Snowmobiling, and up until about a year ago, Toboggan Chutes.

Tobogganing used to be a staple attraction for decades, but due to county "mismanagement" (it is a county maintained park), they didn't want to afford them any more, so no more tobogganing. The parks commissioner (a county exec. appointment position, I believe) estimates the repairs would now be over $100,000. So, what does the county exec. do .... gives ridiculous raises to his buddies, whom he put into various offices, instead of fixing the toboggans, and THEN raises property taxes to cover those raises he gave to his buddies.

I only mention the side story, as it is sad to see a fond tradition of several generations fall to the political machine called Erie County. I believe they installed the toboggan runs in the 40's. It is a place we ALL visit several times each winter to go tobogganing ..... or used to .......

I know we're not supposed to get political, or discuss current events, and I am not intending to, it s just that I am really sad to see the passing of one of our favorite local traditions just to grease the local political machine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.