Photos of Europe by an American

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Laurie,

That is a lovely color for Fall and I would call that color copper also.

Somewhere in London I took this fuzzy photo>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

And I bet you want me to tell you where it is!!

Very nice photo, can you crop it a bit so that the water levels? Even in London we have trouble having lakes on a slant.

I suspect this is the water course near horseguards parade in Hyde park. Although that may be the Mall - which I am not as familiar with. But let me show it to DH to see if I have either that right. (Were you in Battersea park?) Interesting.

So nice to hear of a Yank who likes travelling in Europe so much. thank you.

L

(Zone 8b)

It's St James's Park Lake, here is a link to a similar picture http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Travel/Europe/GovernmentBuildingsAcrossStJamesParkLake.jpg

edited because the link wouldn't work

This message was edited Nov 23, 2008 12:00 PM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks okus,

I had no idea where I was when I took that photo. I took it in 1992.

I wish I could edit the photo to make the ground plane level, but, my 'photo shop' won't do that maneuver. The software was installed when I bought the computer and I will not pay 115 pounds (136 Euros) for an upgrade.

When I took these photos I had a 35mm camera and slide film. When I converted them to digital the shop that did the work used an automatic machine. The quality suffered greatly. All my photos had better focus, but, I guess the photos now have the same qualities as my memory - a little fuzzy.

Here is a photo at Chelsea Flower Show of the proud owner of a display of pottery. I told her that she was just a colorful as her display.

Almere, Netherlands

Hi Dale,
next time don't forget to visit my garden too! Tulips or coleus, depending on the time of year, today a snowgarden LOL

Thumbnail by waddink
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Snow??

I have seen photos of it and talked with people who have actually seen it, but, I still don't believe it exists......

Bot Garden, Amsterdam>

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the tour Dale (wasn't it 'a' and not 'the'? Much more individual, lol!). I recognise the lake too as St. James Park, but it's around 30 years since I went there. The Mall on the way to Buckingham Palace, I think Govt. buildings are mostly on the bank of the Thames (which I don't see in the map!), Whitehall and Parliament St. so it must be looking in the opposite direction to Buck P. The Queens horse's are kept in buildings at the other end along Horse Guard's Road, just around the corner from The Mall.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&um=1&q=pall+mall+buckingham+palace&fb=1&cid=0,0,11872316857497693897&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

(had the wrong link!)

Oh we had some snow in the early hours today (which escaped me)! It's just melted, wasn't a lot.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2008 2:52 PM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Wallaby, Thanks for the link. I noticed on the map that Trafalgar Square looks like a triangle. I must need stronger glasses.

I noticed a lot of ponds around London, must be watering holes for the squirrels>

Oh yes you are right, lol, I just must need glasses, looks triangular to me too. Maybe it started off as a square and they cut some off. :)

I wonder if they would have so many ponds if it was landscaped now, lol, price of land there must be astronomical. Fish, birds, sqirrels, thirsty travellers.....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I would guess that they would not have so many small plots set aside if the were developing London Town now. The price of real estate their is legendary.

PS The seed I got off my Philippine Lily has sprouted. Only two years til I know who the father was.... I had a bunch of Longiflorum Hybrids in the same area.

Another one of those peaceful parks along the streets of London>

Peaceful is the word, statues abound too!

I had two of my L. philippinense seedlings with a flower on this year but had a couple more eaten off, only small plants as it's been too cold to grow much! They looked like the mother, now I'm told it can sometimes be self fertile. Oh well...

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I always admired the lawns in the UK, those fine blades of grass can't be grown here.

Immaculate conception, holy cow, what a disappointment! I prefer bastardization.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9X3-YDthFI&eurl=http://www.humorhaus.com/hh952.htm

Holiday Greetings to you all....

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale, go for a quick trip up I 95, I think they have some of that white stuff up there - I will stay here in my lovely warm Fl. I am glad you did the Chelsea Flower Show, when you walk into that Rose tent the fragrance just knocks you out, I have also been to the Hampton Court Show on a really lovely hot day, very very tempting.
Laurie1 I grew up in Battersea near the park.

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Dale, I loved the christmas video. Hope you don't mind, I passed it on to PNW thread.

Seemama, how nice that you lived over this way before decamping for those warmer climes. We've had 3 snow falls already this year, and its been cold - and dark. But, gosh, I just can't picture me living anywhere else. Florida always seems a bit flat, and a tad on the crowded side. But ask me again in - hmmmm - 20 years? I might be ready for a little less incline then. DH scared the life out of me - came back from Chile and told me "I can just imagine you buying an old estancia and moving there permanently" YIKES, what did he have in mind? Although the pictures I've seen show the coast line looking like California 30 years ago. Stunning.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Laurie,

I hope everyone on the planet gets to see that video. It was passed to me by a friend and the least I can do is pass it along to others friends.

San Francisco Park>

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.